i've recently started trying to really nail economy picking, obviously its a little trickier. i can still play everything much faster with alternate picking at the moment. i was wondering whether once having mastered economy picking, if alternate is still used much or if it just becomes simpler (and faster) to use economy all the time... this is what i would expect however i hear guitarists, for instance michael romeo, still talk about alternate most of the time.

how do people find this issue?
Either will work fine and there are great guitarists who use each technique. However, in order to play fast on one string, you still need alternate picking, so don't forget that technique...EVER!
Economy? Lol

I thought this was normal picking until I came to this forum. Now I suppose I'm classified as a natural economy picker. I can't think of many examples where one technique has an advantage over the other. Then again, my music isn't very complex. Just simple enough for middle class America to understand, or at least I hope they do. For that is where the money is my friend. And if you can make money doing what you love, there is nothing wrong with that. /rant
Quote by skins
i've recently started trying to really nail economy picking, obviously its a little trickier. i can still play everything much faster with alternate picking at the moment. i was wondering whether once having mastered economy picking, if alternate is still used much or if it just becomes simpler (and faster) to use economy all the time... this is what i would expect however i hear guitarists, for instance michael romeo, still talk about alternate most of the time.

use the type of picking that achieves the sound your after.

if you want a muted passage with accents.... .your probably going to need to alternate pick it.

I would suggest continuing to work on both.
shred is gaudy music
You must, must, must learn alternate picking first. If you don't, you will end up having very bad technique when it comes to picking long scalar lines. First off, alternate picking creates less excess string noise. Gliding across strings makes them ring more because you are putting more motion in the picking because you must both pick a note and cross strings with the same movement. Alternate picking allows you to keep the strings quieter. Just about every really great guitarist can strict alternate pick all of their lines. They use economy picking for little quick licks or sweeping, or for the different sound it offers.

Listen to interviews with any of the greats about this. Al di Meola is adamant about alternate picking, and he blows 99% of all so-called guitar virtuosos out of the water. On an acoustic. Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Steve Morse, John Petrucci, they can all alternate pick.

You must be able to alternate pick, I beg you to learn the right way. I economy picked for 2.5 years and could never get my scales to sound perfectly clean. It took me nearly 8 months of playing 2-3 hours a day to build back up to speed with alternate picking. It was hell.

Just trying to help you out. Learn the basics first, then move on to the exotic.
Quote by beckero103
You must, must, must learn alternate picking first. If you don't, you will end up having very bad technique when it comes to picking long scalar lines. First off, alternate picking creates less excess string noise. Gliding across strings makes them ring more because you are putting more motion in the picking because you must both pick a note and cross strings with the same movement. Alternate picking allows you to keep the strings quieter. Just about every really great guitarist can strict alternate pick all of their lines. They use economy picking for little quick licks or sweeping, or for the different sound it offers.

Listen to interviews with any of the greats about this. Al di Meola is adamant about alternate picking, and he blows 99% of all so-called guitar virtuosos out of the water. On an acoustic. Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Steve Morse, John Petrucci, they can all alternate pick.

You must be able to alternate pick, I beg you to learn the right way. I economy picked for 2.5 years and could never get my scales to sound perfectly clean. It took me nearly 8 months of playing 2-3 hours a day to build back up to speed with alternate picking. It was hell.

Just trying to help you out. Learn the basics first, then move on to the exotic.

No..you dont HAVE to alternate pick 1st. There are lots of ways of playing the guitar. The shredders you mentioned have their way of playing.... but they are not the only measure of what a virtuoso is. Nobody has an obligation to play exactly like they do.

learning the "right" way is a matter of opinion.

Its really as simple as this:

They are certain things that require alternate picking.... if you want to play those things, youll have to become proficient at it. Otherwise... it really doesn't matter.

The goal of playing the guitar isnt necessarily to play like Paul Gilbert. Some people might enjoy playing like Jimmy Page.... or Jeff Beck ( he doesnt use a pick at all). Its their choice.... they bought the guitar.... and its their time. They dont have any obligation to follow your demands.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by skins

There isn't really an issue, or a one or another situation. If you look at the
conditions, economy picking only comes into play when you cross from 1 string
to another. Alternate picking, however, applies to picking on a single string
as well as cross strings. Chances are if you do use economy picking, you're also
going to be alternate picking. If you're using a pick, alternate picking is a pretty
fundamental skill to have. If you can't do that well, you'll likely have more
difficulty economy picking. Additionally, the dynamics between the two are
different.
You can be good using both economy and pure alternate picking, in fact, why just don't practice both and see for yourself which one is better for a specific situation.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Yeah, you don't HAVE to learn alternate picking, I'm not demanding anything. But as someone that is considerably experienced on the instrument, learning alternate picking first is way easier than learning economy picking first and then going back and trying to learn how to hop over strings. Trust me, it will save you some time. Once you can alternate pick well, economy picking is almost useless unless your sweeping, and it sounds better.