Hey guys, I have an Epiphone Dot I got in the late nineties and want to "jazz it up" and give it nice smooth cleans.

Anyone have any suggestions for makin' a $500 semi-hollow guitar sound more like a good hollow-body? Kinda like Gretsch-tone.(yeah, easier said then done) As of now, I find it too full of harsh mids and not enough definition with treble and muddy bass. (all the qualities of a low-price clean) and in general lacks clarity. maybe a good soapbox pu?

I have to do something with it or else it's just gonna collect dust. Any opinions welcome. thx.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
have a look at some of the 'classic sound' oriented Duncans
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
^thx, I'll see if I can check those out. but one response eh? Maybe I posted in the wrong forum?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
a lot of people like the Seymour Duncan Jazz for the neck position. not too sure on the bridge though.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by KryptNet
^thx, I'll see if I can check those out. but one response eh? Maybe I posted in the wrong forum?

Or maybe...UG is mostly filled with metal heads, and not jazz players! If someone isn't asking about metal pickups, then you're not going to see a dozen responses blidnly recommending EMGS, Invaders, or Dimebuckers.

Soap box pickups won't fit in here.

Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's, maybe. Want 'em brighter for Gretsch tone? Get series/parallel wiring switches. Parallel wiring makes the pickup sound a bit cleaner, brighter, and is still hum canceling.

Also, maybe check out the Liverpools here:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/vintagestyle.html
^^Very cool. I think I'll guess I'll have to look into the seymour duncan line of pickups. I think I remember the Duncan Jazz pickups to have a very beefy sound. I may be confusing it with something else.

forsaknazreal: Will the series/parallel (whatever that is, I'll google it) fit into the Dot without drilling/routing etc. I have no idea how to do wiring on these semi-hollows.

EDIT: thx for the link. Those, as far as looks go, look very cool.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
If you use push/pull pots, no routing will be necessary. I personally would bring this to a shop.
I am all for DIY guitar work, and I do all my own wiring, but if I ever got a semi-hollow, I'd never want to do it myself. I can only imagine what a pain in the ass it would be.
If you do a search in the GBC forum with my username and the query 'series parallel', you'll find various posts of mine explaining it.

As for the GFS Liverpools, if you're going for a spanky Gretsch tone, they do pretty good. My friend has one in an Epi LP, sounds great and very reminiscent of Gretches and the like.
Maybe those fancy humbucker-sized P90s that Gibson has?
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Check eBay. Someone might be selling the pickups from an ES-175 or an Epiphone Zephyr or something.
Put .13 gauge flat rounds on the Dot. Lower gauge strings have way to much twang to them. Really helps with mellowing out the tone in addition to the pup change.
12 fret fury
Quote by chea_man
do you want jazz tones or gretsch tones, im confused
I like the vintage rawness of gretsch tones. It is certainly more flavorful for ensemble applications then what my can currently put out.

And Punk Poser: yeah...I'll probably put some of those nickel-wound Daddario .11 or .13's on it. But so far this is all great advice. It's the kick in the rear I needed to start thinkin' of what to do with this guitar. Thx to everyone.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination