Im wondering how much of real world difference these would sound compared to my stock Epiphone Lp standard pups. Would i be better off just saving up to get me the real gibson LP standard? This is all assuming i play threw the same amp.
Get a new amp first. The amp makes up ~80-95 percent of your tone, the pickups and everything else make up the rest.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have nothing against MG's but if you were playing through a tube amp, the difference would be quite big. I swapped my Epi stocks for Alnico 2 pro's in both positions and the change was incredible. Alnico 2 pro's are great pickups, and in my opinion, the stock Epi's can't really compare.
Ok if i buy another amp i want it to be a tube amp. Is there any good tube amps that dont cost 2000.00, that have a good Led Zepp , GNR, sound that you would recommend?
There are PLENTY of good tube amps that aren't even CLOSE to $2000.

Do some research. Peavy...Line 6...Vox...even Marshall. Buy used to save even more.
So basically if you dont have a good tube amp pickups make little difference? I wouldnt consider the tone i get out of my setup right now awful, but i know there is much better out there. You can type my user name Rseiberos2002 into youtube and hear the sound im getting out of what i got right now and tell me what you think. I recoreded my videos with a digital camera tho so the quailty is better live.
Well with the Alnico II's you're not going to hear that much of a difference. In fact they were meant more or less for people who get their tone from their amps, so more power to getting a tube amp. Here are some clips to give you an idea on the Classic 30's tone:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yc92eJTKtts

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JteRuS1jeN8&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t_U0qWHPfvY&feature=related
A question about the tube amps b/c i dont know much about them lol. How long do the tubes normally last before needing replaced and when they do wear out what kind of price range are we talking to replace them?
Ive also heard that a 50 watt tube amp will get louder than a 100 watt valve, is this true? By the way i like the sound out of that classic 30 it makes my amp sound fake like lol. Dang you already got me wanting one now!
Generally I'd estimate a year to year and a half tops depending on how much you use it. And I'm not really an expert on tubes themselves but cheap good ones can run you about 15 to 20 bucks a pop.
Last edited by Wakisazhi at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by rseiberos2002
Ive also heard that a 50 watt tube amp will get louder than a 100 watt valve, is this true? By the way i like the sound out of that classic 30 it makes my amp sound fake like lol. Dang you already got me wanting one now!

tube=valve, just people in the states call them tube and generally people across the pond call them valve. A tube amp will sound louder than solid state amp though; For example a 30 watt tube amp will be louder than a 30 watt solid state.
Have you had any dealings with the hybird amps? I know that guy by the name of KOBIBA on you uses one of them (marshall avt 50) and gets a killer GNR sound of it. (IMO the best on youtube)
It wouldn't be a bad idea but sooner or later you'd probably want to move up to the real deal.