How many of you are aware of this system? I'm considering writing a lesson on it as it's a very useful way of being able to play all of the modes and not having to memorize the shape of each scale.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I'd be interested in seeing how you approach that since I learned CAGED when I was learning to play guitar . It was easy to do since you based it on the major chord shapes for guitar. I guess it could work for bass, but I am still seeing this a bit more through a guitarist eyes rather than the bass.
Quote by anarkee
I'd be interested in seeing how you approach that since I learned CAGED when I was learning to play guitar . It was easy to do since you based it on the major chord shapes for guitar. I guess it could work for bass, but I am still seeing this a bit more through a guitarist eyes rather than the bass.

Well it more or less works the same. Since you understand it from a guitar perspective, take the EADG string patterns from the guitar and voila, they can be applied to the bass. Though I'll be sure to add the 5th string in there as well, for those of us with 5'ers.

Things to come:
I'm interested as well. I don't know what CAGED can do exactly.
I would be interested too. Knowledge never hurt anyone.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/major-caged/index.php

This has the best explanation I've found. Its based on the fact you can play scales based on Chord patterns on guitar ( C chord, A chord, G chord, E chord and D chord). Its a bit hard to get your head around if you aren't familiar with open chord patterns on guitar, but cyberfret does a good job of the basics.
Quote by anarkee
http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/major-caged/index.php

This has the best explanation I've found. Its based on the fact you can play scales based on Chord patterns on guitar ( C chord, A chord, G chord, E chord and D chord). Its a bit hard to get your head around if you aren't familiar with open chord patterns on guitar, but cyberfret does a good job of the basics.

Indeed. I learned it from my teacher (who is a bassist aswell as a guitarist, graduated from Berklee) and it opens up the fretboard like never before. The concept is a bit hard to grasp at first, but i'll do my best to explain it in a way that makes the most sense.

Things to come:
I'm not familiar with this method, but from what people are saying it sounds a lot like something my bass teacher just explained to me. One of the assignments he gave me was to use the Cmaj7 arpeggio to create the C major scale. What blew my mind (even though it's so simple) was that you can then learn multiple fingerings for the C major scale, since there are multiple fingerings for the arpeggio (which I was told to find in a previous assignment).

In closing, arpeggios are the key to all music.
Quote by the_woof
I'm not familiar with this method, but from what people are saying it sounds a lot like something my bass teacher just explained to me. One of the assignments he gave me was to use the Cmaj7 arpeggio to create the C major scale. What blew my mind (even though it's so simple) was that you can then learn multiple fingerings for the C major scale, since there are multiple fingerings for the arpeggio (which I was told to find in a previous assignment).

In closing, arpeggios are the key to all music.

That is more or less the concept of CAGED. I'll write up a TOTM for the forum and see what everyone thinks, and make it into a lesson if I do a good enough job of explaining it.

I do have a request though. Can anyone tell me how to create tabs on the computer that are presentable?

Things to come:
There's a tab template somewhere on this site that you can probably find, either under lessons or if you search "bass tab template" in the tab search box. Or you can get some version of Guitar Pro. I don't know if there's a free tool for it though.
I took lessons for a month last fall and the teacher started off with this... I had no idea what we was talking about, though. I understand the patterns but I just cannot make the connection there. I'll check out that link, hopefully it will illuminate this whole thing for me.
This is very interesting, hurry up! =)
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Quote by slap-a-bass
correct me if I'm wrong

a mode is a major or minor scale where the starting and ending note is a note other than the tonic..right?

so tell me, what is this CAGED of which i hear

The modes are different ways of playing every other scale, starting and finishing on a note other than tonic.

It isn't just the major and various minors (natural, harmonic, melodic etc). Every scale has its own modes, though you have the main concepts down.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1