I'm thinking about getting one for my telecaster, since not only is it single coil but the pickups i put in it are very hot. As you might imagine, this thing hums like a power generator. I mean LOUD. I was thinking about getting a noise gate, but I'm also a little worried that it might do something to the sound. Do noise gates f*ck the sound up? Are there any good noise gates you'd recommend?
iSP decimator is the only option.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by yoursweatersux
uhhh... like.... why

details details details

They;re the best noisegates available without paying a couple hundred dollars (Like, 500+)
All for the price of 130.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
my Boss NS-2 doesn't affect my tone, and it keeps my guitar and OD completely quiet. I'm happy with it.
Gibson Special Faded SG with EMG 81 in the bridge
Peavey 6505
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Maxon OD 808
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss Tu-2 Chromatic tuner
Boss Ph-3 Phase Shifter
Quote by thoreau
my Boss NS-2 doesn't affect my tone, and it keeps my guitar and OD completely quiet. I'm happy with it.

That's a lie!
The bypass on those things are absolutely horrid!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
boss has a noise gate for 80 bucks... and it's boss so it can't suck. soooo i don't think an isp decimator is the only option
Quote by yoursweatersux
boss has a noise gate for 80 bucks... and it's boss so it can't suck. soooo i don't think an isp decimator is the only option

It's Boss so yes it most certainly can suck.

"Oh look a Marshall Half Stack, it must be teh br00talz!!11!1!ONE!!!"
Wrong, thats an MG.

Don't go by brand all the time. Especially not an overhyped brand with some not so good pedals like Boss. ISP Decimator is the ONLY option if you want your tone unharmed and all the noise to go away. No way around it.
From my shootout with them, I own both, The NS2 and the Decimator, I like the Decimator more, it has one knob to set the threshold, simple, although I do like the NS2s muting function, and from using the NS2 quite a bit, I find that it chokes off your notes a little hastily. which is what I dont like.
Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit- Oscar Wilde
Yeah so how noticeable is having a noise gate? Let's say you have the Decimator. Other than the fact it's eliminating the noise, does it have a noticeable impact on everything else?
It'll definately have an impact on your tone, but I mean, how much of a difference depends on how it's set, and how it's incorporated into your rig. I agree with the ISP Decimator, it's slightly more expensive than the Boss NS2, but it's fairly transparent and does an excellent job for the price.

If you're noticing a lot of noise in your sound, you'll definately notice the difference if you add a noise gate in. It can definately clear up your sound to a noticeable degree.