Pros - Extended range basically, wide neck feels more comfortable to some people

Cons - Wide neck feels bad to some people.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Pros - Good for Progressive Metal
Cons - ****ty for everything else
rJ KaHLoN
Quote by rjkahlon

not nessassarily.(sp?) i wrote a country song once using a 7 string acoustic once.
Quote by Doodleface
Pros - Extended range basically, wide neck feels more comfortable to some people

Cons - Wide neck feels bad to some people.

about sums is up
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by rjkahlon

lies

i've use my 7 string at a jazz jam night a couple of times. they're great for scale runs because theres the extra string with seems to make all your runs so much longer.

for me the cons are getting a brighter overdrive sound of it. you have to completely change the settings on your amp from what you have it set to for your 6 string.

its great for writing chug chug metal riffs on that open B or A string.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
good for any type of music, as long as you don't limit your imagination. i honestly don't find any cons in owning one.
the con is playing hendrix or RHCP-style thumb over the neck stuff. You can still do it with a modified bar but it is a bit less comfortable/easy. The problem, btw, isn't the wider neck(7strings can have a smaller neck then a 6string) it's that you have an extra string in the way. If you don't mind having a different bass note then go right ahead. The other thing is buying strings/nuts/pickups/bridges etc are more limited. If you want to mod a guitar it's probably easier with a 6-string depending on what you're doing. Bit heavier in general too.

don't listen to anyone who says they're only good for X genre. They are quite versatile. Not mind-bendingly different, mind you. It's about the difference between owning a floyd rose and a hard tail guitar.
Quote by danielrobbyshor
lies

i've use my 7 string at a jazz jam night a couple of times. they're great for scale runs because there's the extra string with seems to make all your runs so much longer.

definitely, i use mine not only for all types of metal, but i also use it for a lot of jazz things, long runs, and split voicings, check out chris brodericks videos for an accurate representation of what a 7 string can do

oh and if youre doing it to be heavy like korn, its not worth it
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Some people just like 7-strings and some people don't. Personally, I find a 7-string much more comfortable than any six string. I can't wait to get my hands on an 8-string Ibanez RG2228 Prestige. But that's just me. One of my friends finds it really uncomfortable to play on anything bigger than a flying V.
aside from the wider neck the major con i think is that most people who have a 7 string don't really know how to use one. if you're just going to use the bottom 4 strings just retune your 6 string.
Quote by z4twenny
aside from the wider neck the major con i think is that most people who have a 7 string don't really know how to use one. if you're just going to use the bottom 4 strings just retune your 6 string.

listen to this man, very few people i've come across know how to use a 6 string well, let alone a 7 string, but im not saying if youre not willing to learn dont do it, take the time to learn it if you really want to play a 7 string
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
^ true, but the ratio of people who CAN use all 6 strings well is pretty thin. realistically alot of guitar players just play power chords or basic triads and thats it (i won't lie, i do lots of power chord stuff, but at the same time i want a 7 string because i know i do use all 6 strings when i do my leads)

the point being, just make sure its useful for you and not an unnecessary extravagance.
It's not just scale runs/solos or for power chords. I agree that most people buy a 7string to get deeper sound...and those people usually end up going back to 6 string.

The 7 opens up a lot of opportunities for chord voicings. And in genereal, an extra octave opens up that much more creative options.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
^ oh i agree and there have been times i thought "d@mmit, i need a 7 string for what i want to do here, i'm gonna have to rearrange this for bass" but something tells me that not many 7 string players think this.
Pros: You can get 5 semitones lower than a 6 string without retuning for uber heavy metal.

I have a retuned 6 string (down to B) but I bought a 7 anyway.
I don't really need a 7, a baritone guitar would do me fine, but I couldn't find an affordable one.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
I want a 7, only because ive played one before, it sounds amazing, and they are much more versatile.

^Dude, your avatar just took half an hour of my time, i hate you.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

^ Ha ha, you are about the 20th person to say that
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Pros- wider range of sound, more fun sweeping, longer legatos, more space to tap, and you can get a nice, heavy sound without having to de-tune.

Cons- almost none, other than the fretboard being a little wider
hue
one more thing to mention is some of the transposition opportunities. if something is written in a 'dropped' tuning, say drop D, often you can just shift things onto the B string without any issues. i've also worked around some riffs that would have me jumping around with some difficulty but i'm able to just throw a finger onto that extra string without a position shift.

i'm all for 7 strings.
If everyone loves the 7 string so much and they have about as much cons as a normal guitar, why don't they become standard?
Because alot of people don't need 7 strings. Take me for example, I love Meshugah and Textures etc and would love a 7 string, but my bands sound doesn't need an extra string. I would really only get a 7 string if I started a solo projet or joined a new band that needed 7 strings.
Quote by z4twenny
^ oh i agree and there have been times i thought "d@mmit, i need a 7 string for what i want to do here, i'm gonna have to rearrange this for bass" but something tells me that not many 7 string players think this.

I don't play a seven, but I do play a five string bass, and I can assure you that there is still that want to go lower.

I often will need a low Bb when playing with horns, so I just tune to drop-Bb, which I use just as much as standard. I ussually still want the extra A, G, F#, and sometimes even E. I can't downtune that far, so I now I want a 6 string bass to tune (F#, B, E, A, D). Something tells me that seven string players think this way too.
Quote by isaac_bandits
I don't play a seven, but I do play a five string bass, and I can assure you that there is still that want to go lower.

I often will need a low Bb when playing with horns, so I just tune to drop-Bb, which I use just as much as standard. I ussually still want the extra A, G, F#, and sometimes even E. I can't downtune that far, so I now I want a 6 string bass to tune (F#, B, E, A, D). Something tells me that seven string players think this way too.

Hahaha its like an addiction I think Meshuggah went down to 9 strings before but i'm probably wrong lol
Quote by maggot9779
Hahaha its like an addiction I think Meshuggah went down to 9 strings before but i'm probably wrong lol

Im pretty sure they just used downtuned 8's (F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, bb, eb). Does anyone know what their bassist does?