Hello.

I didn't get started playing guitar until I was almost 18, and only now at age 20 would I consider myself a competent enough player to possibly be able to play in a band.

I don't have really high goals; I don't care about trying to become a professional or anything. I just think it would be cool to find some other people to jam and maybe occasionally gig with.

From what I've read here, it appears that most people have already met those goals in their mid-teens, and now I'm worried that maybe I got too late of a start to be able to do it.

Do you guys think that 20 is too old for someone to get started with being in bands?

Is there anybody else who got as late a start as I did?
Of Course Not!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
My singer is 24, and we are all 16, except me. I am 15. It doesn't matter how old you are, as long as you are musically competent. Just ask the stones.
no, I don't think it to told. But I guess it's a matter of opinion. I feel the same way you do about it, I don't care about being a pro, I just want to jam.
no i started at 15 (im 17 now) but for music you can never be too old

rock on!
myspace.com/crystalignition
ul do fine as long as you find someone who will play with you
yea, starting younger does help, but its not like its so much harder to start older
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Let me tell you that there are plenty of opportunities to start bands in all genres, punk to jazz, all skill levels, n00B to pro - with people the same age as you. You are in fact quite young. It's just forums are usually filled with teens.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
i was in the exact same boat as you. I started at 18, joined a band at 20, and i've been playing in bands ever since.

remember that years playing does not equal playing ability. All you need to do is find people who are of approximately the same skill and level of commitment as you are, and go with it. You'll all grow together as players that way, rather than have one guy giving lessons to the band all the time.
i'm 21 and havent been in a band yet. i play with my friend who can write and sing decently, so we call ourselves a band. there's just no one around where i live that plays drums or bass, everything thinks the guitar is the greatest thing ever...
Officer Nole07 of the U.G.P.D

Quote by rockybo
Honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. So some moron put evidence of me exposing her stupidity in her signature, why should I care?
Thanks for the responses!

I'm feeling a lot better about my situation now.
No way!
I was 26 before I joined a proper band and I wouldn't even consider 40 or 50 too old if you can find players of similar age.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
I personaly didn't pick up a guitar (or in my case, bass) until after I'd left school and got a job. That's how it used to be because guitars are more mass produced and cheaper now than they've ever been. Very few kids at my school had parents that could afford to buy their kids a decent electric guitar, so guys didn't usualy start playing until they could afford to buy their own gear.
Nowadays, you can pick up a fairly decent quality second hand guitar for around £100 which is probably around about the same as it was when I started out, only £100 was worth a lot more then.

I probably started playing seriously in bands when I was about 18 or 19, and it never did me any harm.
I used to be in a band with a guy who was in his mid 40s but had only been playing guitar for a couple of years. He couldn't solo to save his life but he was probably one of the best damn rhythm players I've ever worked with who's playing had a lovely 'old time' feel to it that you just don't hear very often nowadays.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by meyer7
Hello.

I didn't get started playing guitar until I was almost 18, and only now at age 20 would I consider myself a competent enough player to possibly be able to play in a band.

I don't have really high goals; I don't care about trying to become a professional or anything. I just think it would be cool to find some other people to jam and maybe occasionally gig with.

From what I've read here, it appears that most people have already met those goals in their mid-teens, and now I'm worried that maybe I got too late of a start to be able to do it.

Do you guys think that 20 is too old for someone to get started with being in bands?

Is there anybody else who got as late a start as I did?

Dont worry man, I'm 19 and I just jam with other people, never been in a band either. It comes when It comes imo.
When my first band started working towards gigs and got a drummer, we were all 19-20, he was 27. The ages of the two bands I'm in now range from 23 to 36.

Age means absolutely nothing as long as the passion and dedication are there.
Nope. I'm 15, my keyboard player is 16, my drummer is 24, and my possible sax player is about 20.
**** nooo.

haha
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
That's not too old, I was in my first real (meaning not school concert band) at 17, I'm in another band now and my bass player is 20 (I'm 18)
Nah it doesnt matter at all. I'm 20, my bassists 25 and the lead guitarist and drummer are both 17