Ever since I realized I really don't play metal at all (meh maybe sometimes.. rarely though) I've been starting to wonder how much better my tone could improve if I got a guitar that suits the genre I play. I like good cleans, a nice crunch, stuff like Boys like Girls, Paramore, Underoath, All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, pretty much a pop punk tone. I like playing heavier rock too.. I've been told to check out a American fat strat, and a 72 tele.. Help me make some decisions :P.

Thanks guys, Godbless.

Edit; my current guitar is a Schecter C1-Hellraiser
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i like the classic alot.... woah hold up c1?!? with emgs???? replace them and you would be alright.... id suggest getting new amp insted. hellraiser is great for metal and w/ pup change im sure it woul be great for your genra too

edit: so id recommend pup change and new amp over sg (it is a geat axe tho)
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Last edited by Oblivian at Mar 31, 2008,
SG Standard?

Solid choice. Great guitar. It sounds great, plays pretty amazing and is quite light.

I prefer the slimmer necks on the '61 Reissue though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by tr3nt
Ever since I realized I really don't play metal at all (meh maybe sometimes.. rarely though) I've been starting to wonder how much better my tone could improve if I got a guitar that suits the genre I play. I like good cleans, a nice crunch, stuff like Boys like Girls, Paramore, Underoath, All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, pretty much a pop punk tone. I like playing heavier rock too.. I've been told to check out a American fat strat, and a 72 tele.. Help me make some decisions :P.

Thanks guys, Godbless.

Edit; my current guitar is a Schecter C1-Hellraiser

You seem to be in the more modern bands.

The Gibson SG Standard is a GREAT guitar. Good pickups, nice feel, very light, good neck.
Please don't suggest a new amp, I know what I'm doing in that part..

I really want the SG
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

$1400+ for a flattop mahogany guitar with 2 humbuckers and 4 knobs seems a bit overpriced in my book, but to each their own
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by tr3nt
Please don't suggest a new amp, I know what I'm doing in that part..

I really want the SG
Best Bang for the $$$ Gibson SG, an opinion.

You know you want to buy it!

Quote by FacingUsAll
$1400+ for a flattop mahogany guitar with 2 humbuckers and 4 knobs seems a bit overpriced in my book, but to each their own

*fixed*

It's hard to read. I'm shocked you didn't pimp the Xaviere or your beloved G-400.

i dont have an sg. but ive played them at gc countless times. i gotta strat, which i like for blues, but it doesnt have that sick heavy distorted tone like an sg which also can have a clean pretty sound. man i wish i had the money. GO FOR IT!
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
Make sure you play it standing up before you buy it. It is a whole different guitar in that positon. Very top heavy.
Quote by Ippon

*fixed*

It's hard to read. I'm shocked you didn't pimp the Xaviere or your beloved G-400.

I use the black layout, I think it looks purty .

In the price range that he's in, I usually pimp Carvins .

Oh, I hated my G400. I'd never recommend it to anybody. I'm too lazy to sell it though so I just decided to fix it up and make it pretty.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I buy used. They go for around $800.

Quote by FacingUsAll

I use the black layout, I think it looks purty .

In the price range that he's in, I usually pimp Carvins .

Oh, I hated my G400. I'd never recommend it to anybody. I'm too lazy to sell it though so I just decided to fix it up and make it pretty.

Black layout FTL!

What did you hate about it? I thought those were pretty solid. Unless you paid $600 for it, in which case, you should hate yourself, IMO, and not the guitar.

Quote by tr3nt
I buy used. They go for around $800.

Even better!

DO. IT!

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
SG Standard?

Solid choice. Great guitar. It sounds great, plays pretty amazing and is quite light.

I prefer the slimmer necks on the '61 Reissue though.

+1,000 there. They have a great sound and a nice light comfortable body with decent access, but I didn't care for the neck. It's kinda fat feeling for a body that thin to me. My LP has a fatter neck but it feels like it fits on that massive a guitar. On the positive side, having a complete set of tone and volume knobs allows for a lot of flexibility, especially with both pups on.
Quote by Ippon
Black layout FTL!

What did you hate about it? I thought those were pretty solid. Unless you paid $600 for it, in which case, you should hate yourself, IMO, and not the guitar.

The other layout looks too "internet forumie" for me This one is easier on my eyes.

It was a used Epi Goth G400 that I got for $300 (back when they didn't cost that much new ).

It is just very dead feeling, not lively at all. The stock pickups were bland and the pots were pretty useless.

The neck is pretty comfortable and it's built pretty well... I just wish the body were bigger and had more resonance (hence why I got a the S-1 Blackjack).

The few Hagstrom F-Series guitars that I've played have absolutely slayed the G400s that I've played, including mine.
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Mar 31, 2008,
yeah the sg standards are very very very consistant... ive never played a bad one... they are amazing
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by FacingUsAll
It was a used Epi Goth G400 that I got for $300 (back when they didn't cost that much new ).

It is just very dead feeling, not lively at all. The stock pickups were bland and the pots were pretty useless.

The neck is pretty comfortable and it's built pretty well... I just wish the body were bigger and had more resonance (hence why I got a the S-1 Blackjack).

The few Hagstrom F-Series guitars that I've played have absolutely slayed the G400s that I've played, including mine.

I had the same experience a few years ago looking at some epi sg's. Couldn't tell you what flavor they were except they had two hums and 4 reflector knobs but they sounded pretty lifeless to me at the time. I thought their flying v sounded much much better (so i bought that).
The Standard SG is damn nice, well worth the money, and far better than anything else I've ever played at the same price tag bar a few oddball rare or customised models.

That said, I'm not going to lie and say it's perfect; the stock pickups, like with all of Gibson's production guitars, are pretty poor. Also, I've played a couple where the frets haven't been pressed properly, there's been bubbles in the finish, etc. These are pretty standard problems that all guitar brands have though when you're buying less than custom shop models, so as long as you shop around a bit, try before you buy, make sure you're getting the best price, these aren't big issues.
Fallout boy,Paramore & boys likes girls ? really it doesn't matter what kinda of guitar you use all their songs are really easy just power chords and just buy a cheap guitar don't waste your money if you play that kind of genre.
Quote by theocao
Fallout boy,Paramore & boys likes girls ? really it doesn't matter what kinda of guitar you use all their songs are really easy just power chords and just buy a cheap guitar don't waste your money if you play that kind of genre.

*Reported*

Read the forum rules.

Have a nice day!

Quote by utsapp89