p basses are not versatile at all they have like one tone, especially on a squier

at least get a j bass

i unfortunately have a squier j bass

i can get a p bass tone with it

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

well, anything in the $100-$200s range is good for startout, cuz if u get good abss but u don want 2 play anymore, you wasted a ****load of money
For around the same price you could get the Squier VM '70s Jazz, the Ibanez GSR200FM or the SR300, or a Peavey Millennium, all of which are, in my opinion, better instruments than the Squier P special. That said, the P special isn't bad.
For a starter, its a solid bass--there are some I prefer a bit more in that price range.

As always, take your budget and get to a store and try out all of the basses in that price range by the majors. (The FAQ has a good short list). I started out on a Precision bass clone and honestly, I've made it work in a variety of situations. Yes the J bass is versatile as hell, but it may not be the bass for you! You'll only know by trying some other options out.
Yeah I'm not saying "Don't get that, get one of these" but I do suggest you play as many instruments as you can get your grubby hands on and buy the one that you don't want to give back to the guy in the shop. But there's plenty of suggestions here and in the FAQ to be going along with. I started out on a P copy just like that one and it did me fine.
Quote by timzee117
p basses are not versatile at all they have like one tone, especially on a squier

at least get a j bass

i unfortunately have a squier j bass

i can get a p bass tone with it

that is a p bass special
it is very versatil not likea regular p
the p bass special has a j pup that adds all the versatilty of the j bazz

to TS checkout VM j bass or p bass they are both awesome basses
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I looked and say the individual vol pots. and I was like "cool so i can get tons of tonezz!!!" so yea. I'm going to guitar center later to try out some guitars, I'll try out some basses while I'm at it. I really want the tone of Rory Gallagher's bassist (who uses a P bass).
---▲===
Pink Floyd
I have got to say that this bass may be a bit more versatile, it has an active EQ and all...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524