Hey,

I really enjoy abusing the whammy bar on my Fender MIA, but I'm wondering, would it be wise to add a OFR to it? I've heard good things, and I rarely change tunings from standard or half step down. My questions/concerns are:

Will it take much routing on my Fender to install the OFR?

Does the OFR help the guitar stay in tune more than a standard whammy would?

Is it a good idea? I have used FR's before on other guitar and generally like the ease with which they play.

If anyone can help, maybe just point out the pros and cons? Specifically, how much do these things cost to buy and have installed? (guesses)

Someone please shed some light on my situation. It is appreciated.
Well, the OFR brand new alone is some 200 USD. What keeps a FR in tune is the locking nut. IMO, if you installed one at the nut, you can whammy much more without getting out of tune. Or a good set of locking tuners. There is a good amount of extra routing involved, you'll have to take it to a shop for an estimate.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Don't rape a perfectly good American Strat. With the right setup, you can keep a regular Fender bridge in tune almost perfectly, even with a lot of abuse.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
^ Exactly how would adding a OFR to a Strat rape it? Just wondering.

Floyds thin out your tone, and IMO, would be a waste of a perfectly good Strat.
Now it's 1984
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Crap. Well, is there an alternative Floyd-style tremolo that won't thin out my tone?

Yeah, there is, actually. And, as a plus, it doesn't require any permanent modification to your Strat.

Let me find a link for you real quick. It was a pretty obscure little thing.
Now it's 1984
You have me sold. Holy ****. Not that I know much on these types of things, but that looks really efficient. Seems I could even save on installation, as I could do it myself, looks like. Any idea how much they are?
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
You have me sold. Holy ****. Not that I know much on these types of things, but that looks really efficient. Seems I could even save on installation, as I could do it myself, looks like. Any idea how much they are?

They're about $250.

$50 more than an OFR, but totally worth it, IMO. Nobody else has one, you don't have to rape your Strat, it's totally reversible, and it doesn't kill your tone.

The only real mod you have to do is remove your old nut and glue in the metal replacement. And that's not hard in the least.

http://www.super-vee.com/order.html

I plan on getting one, just for shits and giggles.
Now it's 1984
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I definitely need this thing. I just recommended it to another guy in EG forum.

I saw.

Spread the word, friend! Death to the evil Floyd Rose!
Now it's 1984
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Kill the non-believers!

I might have missed it in the video and stuff, but you can pull up on the whammy right? Like an FR?

Yeah, it can be set to float or rest. It doesn't have as much pull up as a routed out Floyd, but you can still pull up, no problem.

DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!
Now it's 1984
LoL I feel a new revelation starting here..To war!!!!The only thing that is close to this is probably the Ibanez SyncroniZR tremolo
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
The only Tremelo I would put ona strat is the wilkinson. I have a 2 point on my mexi that was the most noticeable improvement of all the upgrades. Never goes out of tune. Extremely well built.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
The only Tremelo I would put ona strat is the wilkinson. I have a 2 point on my mexi that was the most noticeable improvement of all the upgrades. Never goes out of tune. Extremely well built.

I'm the exact same way - I hate locking trems. I can keep a 6 point Fender bridge in tune just fine.

It all comes down to preference, though.

Quote by shadowbane91
LoL I feel a new revelation starting here..To war!!!!The only thing that is close to this is probably the Ibanez SyncroniZR tremolo

Not a big fan of the ZR's. They take a good bit of maintenance, and they're not made from the greatest materials, either. I think I'd get a Kahler before a ZR, seeing as how Kahler perfected the bearing system loooong before Ibanez.

Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
*war cry* ALALALALALALA!

This seems incredibly too awesome to be true, yet it is true, and still incredibly awesome.

lulz

This might be one of those few things that seems to good to be true. but really isn't.
Now it's 1984
Quote by diditfortehlulz
I'm the exact same way - I hate locking trems. I can keep a 6 point Fender bridge in tune just fine.

It all comes down to preference, though.

Not a big fan of the ZR's. They take a good bit of maintenance, and they're not made from the greatest materials, either. I think I'd get a Kahler before a ZR, seeing as how Kahler perfected the bearing system loooong before Ibanez.

lulz

This might be one of those few things that seems to good to be true. but really isn't.

I would agree...now, can we make a list of things that apply to this?

"Things That Seem Too Good To Be True But Really Aren't"

Commence listing!
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I would agree...now, can we make a list of things that apply to this?

"Things That Seem Too Good To Be True But Really Aren't"

Commence listing!

Oi!

Let me think...

Dammit, this is tough!
Now it's 1984
A trick I learned for tuning stability is to take a pencil and draw in the slots in the nut. This supposedly helps lubricate the strings so they don't get stuck as much.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
I use graphite, but wait to see what others say. It's not a perfect fix, but it helps with stuff likes bends and such.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.