Large Picture warning!!
This is my new Ibanez S470 DXQM
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/8595/1002096xe6.jpg

I absolutely love it, I can't believe I finally own it, it still feels too good to be true, but heres something I noticed when buying it:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5935/1002100vi3.jpg

Now, obviously this guitar is an S, and the headstock matches the paint job just like it did in the picture I drooled over for months.
But what the hell?
RG Series?

Is this a mistake?

Theres nothing wrong with the guitar though. It's friggin awesome, plays like a dream, and the pickup selector offers so many different tones, and they're ALL REALLY GOOD!
Unlike my previous guitar, which had 5 very similar tones, and they were all crap. Yeah, there was a difference, but still.
Because people constantly go on and on about how the amp is where most of your tone comes from, I wasn't expecting it to sound that much better. I only bought it for the good playability, the trem, and the looks.

Also, when the guy at Sam Ash set up my guitar he used a mini Korg tuner to tune it up, and intonate it and everything.
According to the tuner built into my Roland Cube, the tuning is all messed up, but it has never sounded this much "in tune". Is it possible that my tuner has been telling me the string is tuned right when it isn't?
I'm not going to mess with anything, it sounds right, barre chords sound full and not slightly out of whack, even up around the 12th fret.

Also, does anyone know what brand of strings Ibanez are usually shipped with?
These strings are the same guage that I usually use, but they feel smoother and they look a bit shinier than The Ernie Ball Super Slinkies I usually buy. I love these strings, they feel great, and I don't think it's just because they're new.

EDIT:Sorry about the wall of text, and the 50 edits because I have OCD
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Jumboshrmp at Mar 31, 2008,
this is the second time this has been posted on UG, some guy was selling a S520EX on here saying it was an RG because it had that on the headstock....

what the hell Ibanez....? S necks go on the S guitars, RG necks go on the RG's

edit: oh and your pics don't work
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Links do work, the text is just separated.

I have an 03 S470, and it does say S Series on mine.

Your guitar is out of tune because probably the Z trem was not setup properly. As in most cases with floyd/Z trem floating bridges, its a bit trickier to set up.
ok but links don't work!
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
I fixed the links, they should work.
I bought it at Sam Ash.

I'm pretty sure this was the right neck, the model number behind the headstock said S470DXQM, and everything looks exactly like it should, except that it says RG series.

Quote by Serendipity
Mine came from the factory with .009 D'Addarios. By the way, is that guitar brand new or used? I'm curious because the S470 was discontinued.

The guitar was brand new, not a single scratch or speck of dust, it wasn't even on the sales floor. Next time I get strings I'll try those, if I can pronounce the name right

Quote by Ljk825

Your guitar is out of tune because probably the Z trem was not setup properly. As in most cases with floyd/Z trem floating bridges, its a bit trickier to set up.

When I bought the guitar I asked for the guy that was good at setting up floyd rose style bridges and I watched him do it. I checked it myself, on the tuner at the store, every string was in tune after he fixed it all up.
When I got home it still sounded perfect but the tuner on my roland cube says otherwise, but my ears are happy so I'm leaving it alone.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Jumboshrmp at Mar 31, 2008,
Well if it is a real S model, and you got an real neck from an RG, that is amazing. The RG neck is the best thing in 6 string guitars.
Quote by Jumboshrmp
I fixed the links, they should work.
I bought it at Sam Ash.

I'm pretty sure this was the right neck, the model number behind the headstock said S470DXQM, and everything looks exactly like it should, except that it says RG series.

Oh...well rofl. I'd love that guitar then because I was always deterred by the 22 frets of the S-series. Haha nice catch!

Edit: Just looked at it again and it has 22 frets. I guess it's just a missprint. In that case it'd bug the piss outta me
Quote by Tubyboulin
Why didnt you ask the Store? or did you not notice till you got home?

I noticed it when the guitar tech was setting up my trem. He actually had no idea why the headstock had the wrong words on it, and he thought I was joking until he looked at it. He offered to set up the red one for me instead if I changed my mind (the red one was the same model but a different color, and it said S series). They only had one of each in the whole store, and I really wanted this one so I said it was fine.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Jumboshrmp
I noticed it when the guitar tech was setting up my trem. He actually had no idea why it said that, and he thought I was joking until he looked at it. He offered to set up the red one for me instead if I changed my mind. They only had one of each in the whole store, and I really wanted this one so I said it was fine.

i have the red one
its actually "charcoal brown" but w/e
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by danielrobbyshor
i have the red one
its actually "charcoal brown" but w/e

The red one in the store said "Red Viking"
It was actually a orange/red burst with quilted maple in the middle
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Jumboshrmp
The red one in the store said "Red Viking"
It was actually a orange/red burst with quilted maple in the middle

holy shi, they had the red Viking!?!? and you didn't get that one!?>!Q??WEREDWRE>gf

WHY!!!
Quote by david_highland

Quote by Grundy0
Quote by danielrobbyshor
holy shi, they had the red Viking!?!? and you didn't get that one!?>!Q??WEREDWRE>gf

WHY!!!

Just personal preference.
The red viking one looked amazing but it wasn't really the look I wanted. I wish I could have both, but I wanted a darker color and the blue moon one was perfect.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Sorry to re-awaken this thread, but this is just about the weirdest thing I've heard of Ibanez doing! The most bizarre part is that the headstock print matches the body, and it SAYS S470DXQM on the back. Oh well, makes it a unique axe!

Oh, and TS, kudos on the colour. Looks f***ing beautiful!

Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
That is very odd, but i have to say, that is one of the best finishes on a guitar i have EVER seen. The musiciansfriend pics do no justice at all.
Quote by Serendipity
Mine came from the factory with .009 D'Addarios. By the way, is that guitar brand new or used? I'm curious because the S470 was discontinued.

those are some thin strings
Quote by ironman1478
those are some thin strings

Not really, considering that's pretty much the most commonly used gauge that there is...

Also, very unusual, I'd assume just a misprint at the factory, but you could try your luck at jemsite.com, people over there'd go nuts for a rarity like that.
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
image removed for space.

Not really, considering that's pretty much the most commonly used gauge that there is...

Also, very unusual, I'd assume just a misprint at the factory, but you could try your luck at jemsite.com, people over there'd go nuts for a rarity like that.

That what i was thinking...

You might be able to get profit and then go get the red viking!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Very nice guitars. Even if it ends up being an RG it's still an awesome looking guitar. You lucky *** ;D
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by metalhead_365
has anyone else noticed that on the second link, the photo of the headstock, that theres a few short n curlys on the rug... i didnt need to see that...

Cookies for you, my friend. No milk though.

And TS, way to go on the guitar, and you better keep this for now. Enjoy it, and maybe someday you'll find out more about it.

Do hit the jemsite to see if some geeks up there know what's going on though.
Who resurrected this?
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by SQHero
Who resurrected this?

who cares? it was like 15 days old.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Ok w/e.
Anywho...
Some headstocks are applied on the neck before they are finished but it's unlikely that the factory did it after finishing... TS if you even get back on look for a tiny 2 on your 22nd fret.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL