I just started a new warm-up exercise doing 64th note scale runs.

The problem is I can't get a feel for it and I'll break out of time very quickly. Even though it's not a problem(read: wouldn't really be used) as far as music goes...does anyone have any tips for solidly getting a feel for 64th notes to a metronome? Greatly appreciated.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Honestly, rather than try to count 16 notes per click, I'd probably double the tempo and play 32nd notes instead.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Yeah, try doubling tempo and then playing smaller denominations. Same exercise, less impossible. Unless the entire point of your exercise was familiarizing yourself with 64th note feel, in which case I'm no help.
Yes, this is only because I've never gone past a 32 notes. It's just a drill and not something for expanding my musical/creative ability but it does have to do with general ear training. It's just interesting that I lose consistency when I try for 64th notes. It's annoying and I'd like to learn how.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
bump?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
Yes, this is only because I've never gone past a 32 notes. It's just a drill and not something for expanding my musical/creative ability but it does have to do with general ear training. It's just interesting that I lose consistency when I try for 64th notes. It's annoying and I'd like to learn how.

Can you play 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 notes per click well?

Get some easier ones good, before trying to divide into sixteenths of a length of time.

Its also going to be hard because you will either be picking ridiculously fast, or you'll be playing with a very slow metronome, or both.

Good Luck.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Can you play 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 notes per click well?

Get some easier ones good, before trying to divide into sixteenths of a length of time.

Its also going to be hard because you will either be picking ridiculously fast, or you'll be playing with a very slow metronome, or both.

Good Luck.
Well I've got the metronome set at 40. And no, the entire point is that I can't keep in time - I have no "feel" for it. I thought it'd be an interesting new thing to do.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
I suggest starting with 16th's at 160 BPM :P You have 4 times more reference clicks to stay in time. When you think you are ready, play 32ths at 80 BPM and then finally 64ths at 40 BPM.
I would suggest you practice something useful Surely theres something else about your playing that needs improvement, that would benefit you more?Even at 40bpm thats 10.6 notes per second!

But, since you actually seem serious about it...
subdivide the beat like you would sixteenths (1 e & a), but play 4 notes for every syllable.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I would suggest you practice something useful Surely theres something else about your playing that needs improvement, that would benefit you more?Even at 40bpm thats 10.6 notes per second!

But, since you actually seem serious about it...
subdivide the beat like you would sixteenths (1 e & a), but play 4 notes for every syllable.
It wasn't about improving my guitar playing! just loosening muscles in a new way. is wrong with that?

but that's really logical advice Ænimus Prime, I'm gonna see if it works. Should be fun. Thx to everyone who posted appropriately heedful cautionary advice. I won't be composing any despotic fiddle runs anytime soon, so not to worry.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
Well I've got the metronome set at 40. And no, the entire point is that I can't keep in time - I have no "feel" for it. I thought it'd be an interesting new thing to do.

Can you do many of the ones less than 16 notes per click?

Obviously, sixteen will be easier than 15, 14, and 13, but its going to help your rhythm better to do 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, if you can't already than to do 16.

I would count it like:

1 a + e a a + e + a + e e a + a

Which is pretty much like 1 a + e, except each one is further divided into another 1 a + e, only with the first number replaced. If that's confusing just do it your own way.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Can you do many of the ones less than 16 notes per click?

Obviously, sixteen will be easier than 15, 14, and 13, but its going to help your rhythm better to do 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, if you can't already than to do 16.

I would count it like:

Which is pretty much like 1 a + e, except each one is further divided into another 1 a + e, only with the first number replaced. If that's confusing just do it your own way.
no I got it, thanks! Never thought of subdividing notes like that. Tho no way can I count 16 notes at 40, I can hardly pick at that speed.

If I understood you correctly, you're saying play odd number note-runs per click as rhythm practice? interesting, I'll have to try that.

Coincidently I was listening to "Take Five" today and musing about the drum solo. So this should help!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination

that's a mouthful, might I recommend thinking up a phrase(subdividing on the syllables) like...

1 pine-app-le app-le an a app-le in a app-le sauce den | 2 ...

... makes counting a bit easier.
Last edited by capiCrimm at Apr 3, 2008,