i dont know if this is the right forum for this but w/e

what kind of multi-track recorder could you guys recommend? i want to make a somewhat home studio when my addition is finished and i get my new room (im making it an amazing practice space), so what kind of recorder can you guys recommend? i'd only use it for making recordings to reference to and demo-quality recordings

please keep in mind id like to spend as little money as possible, prefferably under 200
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
How many tracks are we talking here?

Something with a lot of tracks is going to be hard to find for $200 unless you find something used.

Though you could go with something like a USB mixer.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 31, 2008,
I would recommend a USB mixer and some decent software. you can use a 4 channel mixer and still have essentially unlimited tracks that way.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
if its only like a demo recording sort of thing 8 track would be great to look at, it has sufficient room to make as much stuff as u like.

so just look for something around that any thing more is not necessary if its only a reference system u wish to have
Quote by divinecrossfire
i dont know if this is the right forum for this but w/e

what kind of multi-track recorder could you guys recommend? i want to make a somewhat home studio when my addition is finished and i get my new room (im making it an amazing practice space), so what kind of recorder can you guys recommend? i'd only use it for making recordings to reference to and demo-quality recordings

please keep in mind id like to spend as little money as possible, prefferably under 200

For just $200 you will be buying a USED MTR....they are high priced little buggers.

Now if you wanted to record to a desktop you could buy the Mackie onyx satellite firewire interface (killer interface) for just $180 and use Reaper for software...(free).

Generally, DAW setups are much better than a MTR.

google and look though Tweak's Guide, im sure youll find what you need.

if you MUST have a MTR try the Fostex MR-8mkII used on ebay as a new one runs for $250 on MF...
These units are not great and so thats why I suggest going with an interface and PC.

Quote by MatrixClaw

Though you could go with something like a USB mixer.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I would recommend a USB mixer and some decent software. you can use a 4 channel mixer and still have essentially unlimited tracks that way.

Mixers, even USB units are useless in a home studio....they are not a lot of help and generally not worth buying. This is because USB cannot transfer so much audio at one time and so they are wired to mix every into to a single stereo tack and then send it to the PC. Firewire will be useful as it can transfer a lot of data in one take and keeps each input separate.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 1, 2008,
i find the best use for a mixer running into a computer is to pre-mix things like drums. like you know how you want the drums to sound together, so you can pre-do that with a mixer and just run that into your recording in stereo. but trying to get a good mix of drums, vocals, bass and guitar in a mixer that brings it all down to stereo before sending it to computer usually sucks.
You guys know that there will always be a finite amount of latency don't you? Even with Firewire. This is why i don't really go for the whole DAW setup.

There are alot of positives on getting an MTR recorder. You will have to spend more money then you currently have - but i assure you its worth it. Im guessing if you're recording drums you'll be wanting about 4 inputs (simultaneously). So yeah, i think its better to save up anyway tbh. You're recordings will benefit greatly.
Get a nice 4-track cassette machine, like a Tascam Portastudio. The 244 is awesome, but the new 414 is still available in stores and is just as good. The best part is that you can pick them up for about $50 on kjiji, craigslist, garage sales, eBay...

They are powerful machines. A 4-tracker can actually give you 7-tracks on it's own. Or, you can buy two 4-track machines and have an unlimited about of tracks thanks to what's called bouncing, or ping-pong recording.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Rum Monkey
If you record loads of parts though, the quality will go down. But yeah, if you're on a budget that would be a good way to go.

Agreed. Perfect for demos, but as you learn from experience the art of recording sound, you will realize how powerful a 4-track cassette machine is. It's no 24-track 2" tape machine and Neve mixing console, but you've gotta start somewhere.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Moody knows his stuff; that guy helped me a lot getting started.

USB doesnt multi-track, which i finally found out. Firewire is what you want. You are going to have to shell out some cash to afford one (some are cheaper than others mind you). Alesis and Mackie are the best that i have found. Take a look around and good luck.

BTW if you buy Mackie, you get a free version of Tracktion 2, their recording program. I use T3, althought similar, they are both equally great.

GL!