im starting to expand my musical horizons a bit and so i decided that i should learn jazz bass. so far its been kinda hard for me to not want to grab a pick and play(i hate trying to do string skips using my fingers) but i was wondering what would be some easy jazz songs that i could learn?
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
really? sweet thanks!
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
The majority of jazz basslines are something called walking. Look at artists like Paul Chambers, Ron Carter and Ray Brown. Listen to what they play, figure it out, and play it yourself. This thread: http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607576&

Has the basics of walking lines in the quote by me and then more advanced ideas with Sinan's post after.
thanks jazz_rock_feel. i was hoping someone would link me to that as well.
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Jazzy has given you some of the best advice here but...

Once you read the thread, you can start trying out the ideas on the bane of every jazz student......

Autumn Leaves

Its a good tune to learn Jazz techniques and walking basslines, but I can guarantee at some point, you will not want to hear this song again....
who plays that song? and do they have bass version of the Real book?
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Various people have covered Autumn Leaves. And god yes, there is a Bass Clef version of the Real Book. I have the second edition myself.

I would highly recommend getting the bass clef version. It will assist you in playing the "head" (melody) which helps to form a good sounding bass line underneath. Most Real books will only have the melody and the chord chart, but as a good solid jazz bass player, you shouldn't need anything else.

[edit] here's a good link on the "history" of Autumn leaves....

http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions-0/autumnleaves.htm
Learning to walk the blues and ii-V-Is are good, too. That'll cover a LOT of what you'll come across in 'standard' sort of jazz. You can break many, many songs down into variations of those two progressions.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
If Jazz is what you want, walking is what you must do.

Start simple, walk for atleast 30 minutes a day.
Start with 3 days on Blues on C.
The next 4 days do Blues on other scales aswell, start walking on minor blues on well, and learn the turnaround and other various changes to the blues.
The next week do all I've told you to do until now, and the following standards:
Summertime
Autumm Leaves
Take the A train

That'll get you good basics.
Also, I highly recommend a teacher, for obvious reasons.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech