Page 1 of 2
I currently have an Epiphone Valve Junior half stack which is still stock. I plan on switching out the tubes for JJ's eventually but I was wondering if it was worth it or if I should sell it and buy a Fender Blues Junior instead?
What style and do you need the volume of the Blues Junior? (They can get quite loud)
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I play a bit of everything but I guess I play mostly blues-based rock and funk...more rhythm than lead. And no I don't really need a ton of volume, I just play at home. Although the valve junior can get pretty loud also.
In my opinion, the blues jr sounds a lot better than the valve jr.... however it doesn't sound £200 better, so it's not really worth the price difference for me. Assuming you're in the US the blues jr will be cheaper, though.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yeah this is true, but I just thought I'd be a lot more satisfied with my Valve Junior than I actually am, but then it gets me wondering if the main problem is just to get some new tubes. Which puts me in a dillemma, because everytime I go to the guitar store I play on a fender combo amp and then I think well maybe my valve junior will sound just as good if I just switch the tubes.

And actually the blues junior is about $150 more than the valve junior half stack that I have now...but I'm willing to pay that if I can get better tone.
Well, the tube change won't make your VJ sound Fendery, the amps are voiced differently.

$150 is only about £75-80, so for that price I'd say the blues jr is worth it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Blues Jr. should be a general upgrade over the Valve Jr. They're similar amps, but the Blues Jr. will be much louder, have both master and regular volume so you can overdrive it, tone controls, and spring reverb. So Blues Jr. is my vote.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Yeah that's what I was thinking but I needed to be reassured and you wonderful people have done that for me, thanks a lot...if anyone else has anything to say about the blues junior though, I'm still pretty interested. I've got a friend who has one and he loves it.
Just keep it, then save up a little extra and get the blues junior too... There is no such thing as too much gear!!!! You'll have two differently voiced amps which might be nice in say a recording situation where you want to mix it up from song to song... or with two pretty low wattage amps like that you can set up a little true stereo rig to gig with.
I love the Valve Jr., it is my favorite amp. But, I understand why people don't like it. You definately love the Fender/more american sound, so get the Blues Jr.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Just keep it, then save up a little extra and get the blues junior too... There is no such thing as too much gear!!!! You'll have two differently voiced amps which might be nice in say a recording situation where you want to mix it up from song to song... or with two pretty low wattage amps like that you can set up a little true stereo rig to gig with.

I like your thinking...that's actually a good idea..it's not like having both would hurt anything except for the space in my room, but I can work with it haha. And Cort I really like it too, I just feel like there's some kind of warmth missing from it, I don't really know how to explain it. I just know that Fender amps have it. But yeah, both sounds good..
Quote by IamAaron
I like your thinking...that's actually a good idea..it's not like having both would hurt anything except for the space in my room, but I can work with it haha. And Cort I really like it too, I just feel like there's some kind of warmth missing from it, I don't really know how to explain it. I just know that Fender amps have it. But yeah, both sounds good..

Guess what I run my VJ through? A Fender BJ speaker. I'd actually recommend selling your cab and just running your VJ into that Fender speaker when you get it. It's alot brighter.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

VJ power amp overdrive > BJ preamp overdrive

if you're in it solely for the clean its not worth the price difference imo

just upgrade your tubes and even speaker
Quote by CORT noob
Guess what I run my VJ through? A Fender BJ speaker. I'd actually recommend selling your cab and just running your VJ into that Fender speaker when you get it. It's alot brighter.

Mmm..that's a good idea..it would save some space..I might do that.

You can just run the head into a blues junior amp like it's a regular cabinet?
Quote by IamAaron
Mmm..that's a good idea..it would save some space..I might do that.

You can just run the head into a blues junior amp like it's a regular cabinet?

No, You have to unplug the speaker, and plug it into the VJ.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Oh okay...well that's my plan I guess..it'll be nice having two amps basically in two small things. Did you replace the tubes on your valve junior? And if so what did you put in? I was told JJ are the tubes to use..but I also heard something about EI or something like that..
Quote by IamAaron
Oh okay...well that's my plan I guess..it'll be nice having two amps basically in two small things. Did you replace the tubes on your valve junior? And if so what did you put in? I was told JJ are the tubes to use..but I also heard something about EI or something like that..

Nope, but I guess I should soon, since I used to crank my VJ to max every day until a couple weeks ago.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Yeah, I think they might feel a little abused by now..haha..I don't ever crank my up too high, I like it a little past 12 o' clock usually, and then I run a fuzz face into it and it sounds pretty good..especially when I roll the tone back on my tele.
Buy some pedals. I don't think the Blues Jr is worth almost $200 more. Throw a couple hundred bucks worth of pedals at a Vj and you have a seriously versatile rig.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Buy some pedals. I don't think the Blues Jr is worth almost $200 more. Throw a couple hundred bucks worth of pedals at a Vj and you have a seriously versatile rig.

Wrong. No amount of pedals will make the VJ sound american.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

What do you call american? i get a some pretty decent tones out of mine including KISS and RATT . Anything more american then KISS?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Yeah the difference lies in the amounts and types of tubes between the two amps, and the wiring as well I'd guess...and I don't think pedals can make one sound like the other really...they're two totally different amps. Although the valve junior does take pedals nicely.
Quote by CORT noob

modding it should get it close, I hear?
Quote by clickypens
modding it should get it close, I hear?

That's another possibility I've considered. I hear the bitmo mods completely transform the valve junior into quite the beast, but I don't know enough about modding amps to install one without probably shocking myself to death. I hear you can get fried pretty bad by a tube amp even it it's unplugged..
Quote by IamAaron
Yeah the difference lies in the amounts and types of tubes between the two amps, and the wiring as well I'd guess...and I don't think pedals can make one sound like the other really...they're two totally different amps. Although the valve junior does take pedals nicely.

It's really all subjective, but yeah it's great the way this thing takes pedals. i'm actually looking at a few boutique pedals that are close to the cost of the amp, but I don't gig and don't plan on it. i wanted good low volume tone and the Vj with pedals fits the bill nicely.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
What do you call american? i get a some pretty decent tones out of mine including KISS and RATT . Anything more american then KISS?

Although there isn't an exact definition, in this case "American" refers to "Fender-like".

I believe that both guitarists in KISS used Marshall stacks, so they would have a "British" tone.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by scott58
It's really all subjective, but yeah it's great the way this thing takes pedals. i'm actually looking at a few boutique pedals that are close to the cost of the amp, but I don't gig and don't plan on it. i wanted good low volume tone and the Vj with pedals fits the bill nicely.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my fuzz face and crybaby running into it. The fuzz face warmed up the tone a little but I still prefer the sound of a Fender amp I guess. But you're definitely right, you can get really nice tone at low volume with the VJ...It's pretty much hard to deny that it's a good amp...I guess it just wasn't EXACTLY what I was looking for when I bought it...but then that's what makes you start learning to like and create different sounds I guess.
Quote by IamAaron
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my fuzz face and crybaby running into it. The fuzz face warmed up the tone a little but I still prefer the sound of a Fender amp I guess. But you're definitely right, you can get really nice tone at low volume with the VJ...It's pretty much hard to deny that it's a good amp...I guess it just wasn't EXACTLY what I was looking for when I bought it...but then that's what makes you start learning to like and create different sounds I guess.

You might want to consider getting a decent EQ pedal and throwing it in front of your Valve Junior. I have the MXR M108 and I can get my VJ's cleans to get pretty "crystally"
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I think what you should try is upgrading the speaker and tubes in the VJ. Mabye the transformer.

If you want Fender tone on a budget, consider adding a Pro Junior to your collection.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Although there isn't an exact definition, in this case "American" refers to "Fender-like".

I believe that both guitarists in KISS used Marshall stacks, so they would have a "British" tone.

Well then... I stand corrected.

I've got the MXR 108 also and yeah you can get some pretty decent stuff going. The other thing you may want to check out is what amp modeling does for the Vj. It takes some tweeking, but my POD is a real good addition to the Vj. i've been using it to narrow done the pedal board i'm putting together. i borrowed a friends TS 808 and that really made some cool stuff happen with the Vj.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by FacingUsAll
You might want to consider getting a decent EQ pedal and throwing it in front of your Valve Junior. I have the MXR M108 and I can get my VJ's cleans to get pretty "crystally"

Hmm that's not the first time someone's suggested an EQ pedal to me...I've been thinking about getting one of those too. I think my favorite idea thus far is selling my VJ cab, upgrading the tubes on the head, and then buying a blues junior and using either that or the VJ head through the BJ speaker.

And it's not so much the budget that I'm worried about I guess...I just want to be more sure about what I'm getting than I was when I bought my VJ.
Quote by IamAaron
Hmm that's not the first time someone's suggested an EQ pedal to me...I've been thinking about getting one of those too. I think my favorite idea thus far is selling my VJ cab, upgrading the tubes on the head, and then buying a blues junior and using either that or the VJ head through the BJ speaker.

And it's not so much the budget that I'm worried about I guess...I just want to be more sure about what I'm getting than I was when I bought my VJ.

You'd be surprised how much toneshaping you can do with an EQ pedal. It can really make a difference and is a lot easier to toy around with. Maybe see if you can borrow one from somebody and give it a whirl before you throw more money at the VJ.
Quote by utsapp89
Make sure you try out the EQ pedal extensively before dropping some cash on it. I dropped $30 on a Behringer EQ pedal, and it sounds too digital for me so I never use it. What would be nice is a good treble booster for the leads though.

BTW, you say the Ratt works good with the VJ? I need myself a good distortion pedal, because my DS-1 and VJ don't get along very well. Too bad I'm in mega-debt from buying a car
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by FacingUsAll
You'd be surprised how much toneshaping you can do with an EQ pedal. It can really make a difference and is a lot easier to toy around with. Maybe see if you can borrow one from somebody and give it a whirl before you throw more money at the VJ.

Yeah that's a good idea, I unfortunately don't know very many serious guitarists around here who even realize the significant difference between a tube and a solid state amp or who have any desirable musical taste. I'll have to ask one of my friends if they have an EQ pedal. I personally love Tom Morello's sound and I know he uses, or used, a DOD equalizer pedal. Does it actually drive your amp more or make it louder? Or is it primarily for cleaning up your tone? Or does it do both?
Quote by IamAaron
Yeah that's a good idea, I unfortunately don't know very many serious guitarists around here who even realize the significant difference between a tube and a solid state amp or who have any desirable musical taste. I'll have to ask one of my friends if they have an EQ pedal. I personally love Tom Morello's sound and I know he uses, or used, a DOD equalizer pedal. Does it actually drive your amp more or make it louder? Or is it primarily for cleaning up your tone? Or does it do both?

I've never played around with the DOD EQ, but my MXR M108 can definitely do both.
Quote by utsapp89
The DOD EQ that Tom uses probably does both. They usually have a generic boost and you can cut or boost across many frequency ranges. So they can become very useful when you need that +18dB boost to your input to make solos and the like come across better.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I've never played around with the DOD EQ, but my MXR M108 can definitely do both.

Yeah I'm reading about it right now...it looks pretty badass to be honest...It's got a lot of stuff to mess around with. Looks pretty versatile. Little pricey though I guess...but not too bad.
If you tried the Version 1 and 2's you'd be amazed - I just got a Version 3 Valve Junior COMBO and this baby rawks... actually had a few (sold em all on Ebay) - also I just sold my Version 1 VJ head with Bitmo Mods as it didn't sound as nice as this V3 does right outta the box. Takes pedals nice too... I'm using mine with a Korg Multi-effects pedal to add Reverb, Chorus, delay, etc and I love the sound - I have 2 other Vintage Tube Amps and I LOVE THIS V3 VJ COMBO - it's $149 at Musician's Friend. Up to about 12:00 o'clock it's clean and throbbing and LOUD - by 1:00 o'clock I'm getting a real FAT distortion - they have a better Output Trannie (5.2k), Better Tubes (my head had JJ Tubes Installed as the original SovTek's were Harsh sounding) - they come now with EH and JJ Tubes - and there's no mods needed now as far as I'm concerned - sounds FAT, RICH and LOUDASHELL! The Version 3's sound better than the Blackheart 5w stack I tested out at GC - the distortion is much fatter and "harmonic" - if you haven't heard the V3's check em out - a whole NEW Valve Junior! and that 8" 50w Eminence RAWKS. I am playing mine through a 10" and a 12" cab but just alone it sounds great.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by CORT noob

wrong. there are pedals that can
Quote by The red Strat.
wrong. there are pedals that can

Prove it!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Page 1 of 2