sup, basically im looking for some recommendations on some prog bands, im not really looking for more dream theater like bands, but if anyone could recommend me some bands that are in the same vein as porcupine tree, 3, rush, and even coheed and cambria's welcome home, that would be greatly appreciated
Yes
The Mars Volta

I need to find more prog.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by lobster624
i agree with Yes
if you like heavier stuff check out Opeth

o i know about opeth, my favorite band, i was just looking for some lighter stuff, cuz it seems all the music i have is really heavy, and sometimes im just in the mood for stuff like the bands i listed
this seems to obvious, but pink floyd. i dunno if you've listened to them or not.

the flower kings are also pretty cool. if you want some ambient spacey type stuff check out ozric tentacles. another one of my favorite classic prog bands would also be emerson lake and palmer.
Kansas
Kansas
Kansas
Kansas
Magic Pie
Circus Maximus
KANSAS!

EDIT: for Kansas, listen to Leftoverture and all of the albums released before it. They had some superb, epic songs in their glory days.

On a side note, I saw them twice over the summer and they still put on a great show! I am also seeing them in May. Can't wait!
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Last edited by nexteyenate at Apr 1, 2008,
you could search for a prog thread cause there are tons of i need some more prog threads!

KIng Crimson!
Planet X!
Quote by lobster624
if you want some ambient spacey type stuff check out ozric tentacles.

They're freakin' amazing.

I reccommend these guys to anyone no matter what music you listen to. :P So yeah, check them out.
"I don't understand how one can kill a man in the name of peace, that's ridiculous."
- JBT
Quote by Phish
They're freakin' amazing.

I reccommend these guys to anyone no matter what music you listen to. :P So yeah, check them out.

they are so amazing.

i also agree with the guy who said planet x an i'm going to recommend liquid tension experiment if you haven't already heard them.
thanks guys, there are a lot of those bands ive been meaning to check out more (king crimson, genesis, liquid tension experiment) i appreciate it
Everygrey are pretty awesome, check them out.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
Get some Rush, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dream Theater. If you like Opeth...
Quote by BGSM
Get some Rush, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dream Theater. If you like Opeth...

read the first post....
Genesis : "Selling England by the Pound"
Haken : If you don't know Haken yet just check "the mountain" album. It's epic prog metal (far better than dream theatre in my opinion)
Riverside : lot of good stuff
Steven Wilson : The raven that refused to sing (one of my favourite album)
King Crimson : In the court of the crimson king

And of course pink floyd!!

By the way, thanks all for your advices I think I'm gonna start listening to Yes
OH and I almost forgot to mention Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon is one of his projects) who is simply a god.
Listen to Kingcrow. This is exactly what you are looking for. And they just came out with a new album.
Quote by Kingblazer
Listen to Kingcrow. This is exactly what you are looking for. And they just came out with a new album.

WHY REPLY TO A VERY OLD THREAD?!
woah, now i know where you get your username from
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect