What were the popular associations of popular music to intervals. I know there a lot of variations but I'd love to learn them all. My ear-training is horrible.

The only one I remember is the NBC theme. I can hear it in my head tho. umm...a minor 7th? I'm probably way off.

Whatever...could people tell me all the good popular music references for intervals? THX!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Lemmings music...perfect 4th to a perfect 5th

Also the first 2 notes of the bassline to Sweet Child of Mine are a major 3rd.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by capiCrimm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_training

and don't focus on them too much. Learning to sing those songs by ear is probably a bigger help. If you can sing an interval you can name an interval.
hey thx. I'm just looking for easy references. Sight singing is going to be my next adventure.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
here are a few that I remember of the top of my head:

Major 6: NBC or My Bonnie lies over the ocean
Perfect 5th: Star Wars
Perfect 4th: here comes the bride
minor 2nd: Jaws
minor 7th: original Star Trek theme
Tritone: Maria (west side story)

sight singing is definitely helpful. Also trying to find familiar melodies on guitar. With no actual reference... just your mind as you can hear them. I find this helps me alot. Even easy stuff like nursery rhymes or TV show themes..... any simple melody that you can hear in your head and find on the guitar. it really helps to make that connection between what you hear and what you play.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky

sight singing is definitely helpful. Also trying to find familiar melodies on guitar. With no actual reference... just your mind as you can hear them. I find this helps me alot. Even easy stuff like nursery rhymes or TV show themes..... any simple melody that you can hear in your head and find on the guitar. it really helps to make that connection between what you hear and what you play.

Yeah I've always found that to be be very helpful as well and try to do it pretty often. Even if i'm just watching tv i'll try to pick up & play any melody from commercials, theme songs etc. Good ear training & ultimately helps improv too as it becomes easier to transfer musical ideas quickly from your mind to your fingers
I find learning to sight-sing effectively trains your ear better than anything else.

Hearing a major 6th as Do-La, etc.
Kudos on wanting to improve your ears. Not enough guitar players do this.

I agree with previous comments that you should use the associations in the beginning but make sure to SING. Seriously... you may feel weird, but it will make a huge difference. Really get those sounds internalized...

Check out the link in my sig for a good book that guides you through basic ear training.

Rhino