Is it common? Should I worry about it or is it just something that happens once in a blue moon? I just got my first electric guitar today and I accidentally snapped one of my strings while tuning (had it too tight, stupid me). So if properly tuned, should I worry about strings snapping and injuring myself? Thanks guys!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
It's possible for the string to snap while playing, depends what gauge of string you use.

You don't have to worry TOO MUCH about a string hurting you when it snaps, I've had many snap on me and not one has ever hurt me.

Generally, when strings get old and the tone is out of them and they get all dirty, the metal corrodes and makes the string weaker, but otherwise you shouldn't snap a string too often unless you use .08 gauge strings or ***** out bending or they just grow old.
Every now and then. It's never injured anyone I know, it usually just sags as if it's slipped from the tuner, but has actually unwound. At least that's what I experience normally. Or the joyous sound of the string snapping mid bend.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The only kind of strings that will HURT you is freaking bass strings....those will give you a nasty injury...
I have too much gear to fit!
Quote by Kurapica
Every now and then. It's never injured anyone I know, it usually just sags as if it's slipped from the tuner, but has actually unwound. At least that's what I experience normally. Or the joyous sound of the string snapping mid bend.

My friend had her guitar string snap once and it wrapped around her arm.

I laughed at the welt it made.
the really cheap guitar strings break easier(so i hear), but they dont break often. I play tuned to Eb so that helps in not breaking strings. I have only ever broken strings while tuning. high e strings are sharp, so youve been warned. try to keep one hand/finger on the string, it stops it from whipping your hand if it snaps. I have heard of them hitting people in the face, so keep your hand on the string if possible
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Well, if you're doing epic bends while tuning up your strings by a whole step or something then maybe. It only happened to me once... just bending a lot.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
it does happens if you're like me and keep the same set of strings on your guitar until one of them (usually the high e) breaks.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
In my 4ish years of playing I have never had it happen. I have seen it happen live many times but most professional bands that play live really thrash the crap out of their strings.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Yea strings can snap. But generally they won't hurt you, they may sting a bit, but nothing major. I could care less if the string hit part of my body, I just get scared that the string will snap and will hit me directly in the eye(which could theoretically cause permanent damage) I mean that isn't common but it would be just my luck.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Back when I didn't know how to play guitar I had some cheap thing that I was tuning, and a string snapped and a millimeter of it went into my hand. Kind of a once in a lifetime thing, made me feel special. Didn't really hurt or anything though.

Otherwise, in my year and a half of playing I've only ever had one string break on me, and I play a lot, and I can play heavily. Don't have a tremolo or anything though.
I have broken a string while playing one time, but that is because I use open A and open E tunings a bunch.
This sucks while tuning mandolins, my guitar teacher was and the string snapped and went 2 inches into his arm.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
it seems to happen to most of us when we first start playing (usually from tuning them too tight). but generally, I've only heard of people snapping strings while playing because they were using a very light gauge and/or they were using low-quality cheapos. the only strings I've ever broken while playing are first act .8's or .9's (go figure). it also helps if you stretch them thoroughly after you put them on the guitar. if you can change strings properly and stretch them as needed, you should have no problems at all with breaking a brand name string of decent gauge, no matter how hard you play.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Well my G-string snapped once when I was tuning, and it wrapped around my arm, sorta leaving an S-shaped welt, but either than that, I've never actually hacked around enough to break one playing.
this does hurt when you're in the middle of an awesome jam and find like the best riffs and theN you're all like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY OH WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN IN THE MIDDLE OF A GOOD SOLO!!!!!!! X_X

yeah it won't physically hurt but it does get annyoing in those good moments...just clean the strings and you'll be fine
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

ive only snapped 2 strings, first was the top E, it unwound, so i tuned it up but it kept going flat, finally had a look at my bridge and it had gone slack and really thin. Second time the bottom E snapped when i fretted the 14th fret, just pinged off, damn annoying cos it was mid solo.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
the strings on my strat hadn't snaped since like 3-4 months ago, and i play 1-2 hours a day, i guess they shouldn't snap often unless you're f***ing it up with a 3mm pick as hard as you can, while on my classical(no-name) in summer time a couple of strings snapped by themselves, thought it was my brother (wanted to murder him...), but it was the heat....
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P
No there lying i once snapped a string i were a lucky one didnt quite take my whole arm.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
they mainly injure me while i'm replacing strings. they'll go in really deep into my fingers, hurts a lot and a lot of blood.

what kind of SICK strings are you using, and how can they hurt when REPLACING them, just how?
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P
I've had them snap and stab me in the arm more than once. It sucks ass. I now have it in my head that one will one day snap and stab my in the eyeball.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
i have had one snap when playing fast solos and it kinda sliced my finger just a little.
Hello my name is joe.

Guitar - harmony, its anold guitar ut i sreally nice.

Amp - Spyder lll 30 watt.

effects a nice pedal.

Xbox Live GT. xInsaneRainx

My Website is - www.GuitarHeaven.co.nr
wouldn't ligher strings be harder to actually snap? I'd think so because the tension is much lower than on heavier strings.

altho lighter strings would obviously be more prone to break, but not snap.
Glen Hansard snaps atleast one string in nearly every concert because he strums the crap out of them.
Quote by rasker
wouldn't ligher strings be harder to actually snap? I'd think so because the tension is much lower than on heavier strings.

altho lighter strings would obviously be more prone to break, but not snap.

Breaking=Snaping as if you think about it if you break it then your damaging the strings structure therefore weakening it and the tension does the rest.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Just make sure you set up the git properly, proper action, nut setup, etc.

Strings shouldn't be on too tight when changing, make sure you have enough slack to tune.
And if they do snap with your hands in proximity, its like getting whipped, you may get lashed, you may ot feel it, but in my case, every time i've broken a strings i've drawn blood.
I break strings all the time, usualy when using the floyd on my jackson. Its because i beat the **** out of them tho. if your careful then they wont break. Also ive never been hurt by one at all. I use .09s and i have a friend that uses 12s and he says it hurts like a bitch when his break so maybe size has something to do with it. Dont worry about it.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
it injured me once...but just a little not too painful scratch with a little blood but I could still play guitar..that's the most important thing
don't worry about it...
It happend me only once and because I was stupid...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I've never actually been injured but I've always been worried about one hitting me in the eye, so when I'm putting new strings on and tuning them up (Which is when they break most), I hold the guitar away from me. I rarely break them unless I happen be doing some titanic bend at the 22nd fret and pulling back on the whammy at the same time (Which I quite often do).
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1