Hello everyone, I'm new to this community and just registered a few hours ago, anyway skipping the introduction, I have the most typical question that you guys probably get here everyday. Anyways I've been lurking youtube and perhaps asking you guys would be better lol.

I'm buying a guitar, and I don't know which one.

1. I either want to buy a Gibson LP standard, an Ibanze Jem7vwh, or a Fender Strat/Tele (For the most part, I only chose these guitars because of guitarists using them and how they look )

2. My budget is $4000 CAD

3. The type of music I want to play totally depends on what my mood is. I have a wide variety of taste, however, it is mostly classic rock, satch/vai music, jazz,blues/funk, and I am also in love with David Gilmour's tone. Now what I'm basically asking is what guitar would satisfy my taste of music? I have a feeling that going with a Jem wouldn't enable me to gauge classic rock music and blues/funk.

My current gear (lol don't laugh)

Epiphone LP (was a last minute thing, only bought it as my "test" electric guitar)
Traynor amp
A crappy zoom GFX-707

I would also appreciate recommendations on pedals, amps, strings, pickups etc etc.
1) If you're really serious about music (which I would be if you were willing to spend that much) I'd probably find a better reason for choosing instruments. Your 4 options are all very different on the tonal spectrum; it's like comparing an apple to an orange to a banana to a strawberry.

2) and 3) I would spend around half of your budget on a new amp and the rest on *multiple* guitars. With your varying genres and styles, it really makes sense to get guitars of varying tonality. A guitar with humbuckers, a guitar with P90s, and a guitar with single coils and you'd be set.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Get an amazing amp not a new guitar
Epiphone makes good guitars despite what many say
but if you must get a custom shop gibson LP
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Welcome aboard man. If you're going to be spending 1000+ on a guitar it should really be about what you like and not how it looks on someone else. I'd also suggest that you delegate quite a fair portion of your budget to your amp.
Quote by FacingUsAll
1) If you're really serious about music (which I would be if you were willing to spend that much) I'd probably find a better reason for choosing instruments. Your 4 options are all very different on the tonal spectrum; it's like comparing an apple to an orange to a banana to a strawberry.

2) and 3) I would spend around half of your budget on a new amp and the rest on *multiple* guitars. With your varying genres and styles, it really makes sense to get guitars of varying tonality. A guitar with humbuckers, a guitar with P90s, and a guitar with single coils and you'd be set.

this guy knows wtf hes talkin bout listen new amp/amps and many guitars
but then again just get an ulbrick amp they are the best clean amps bar none
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by FacingUsAll

listen to this man, he said what i was about to give you for the most part
I breathe air.
Quote by FacingUsAll

Thanks for this honest reply.

I am however, serious about music, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "I'll be famous one day". I mean I will try to be that but I have to be realistic.

Anyways, the noob in me comes out again, which guitars would have humbuckers, P90's, and what do you mean single coils? Sorry if I sound annoying now, but I really am clueless when it comes to technical stuff.
Quote by Bboy
Thanks for this honest reply.

I am however, serious about music, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "I'll be famous one day". I mean I will try to be that but I have to be realistic.

Anyways, the noob in me comes out again, which guitars would have humbuckers, P90's, and what do you mean single coils? Sorry if I sound annoying now, but I really am clueless when it comes to technical stuff.

Take a gander at the Ultimate Guitar Info Sticky and if you have any questions after reading through it, I'd be happy to answer them.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.