Im really interested in learning to play the piano, but i don't have time, money or the desire to take lessons, i would much rather teach myself. I'm just wondering if anyone has taught themselves how to play and how dificult it was? or anybody who plays the piano thinks lessons are the way to go. thanks.
Quote by TJelias2007
Im really interested in learning to play the piano, but i don't have time, money or the desire to take lessons, i would much rather teach myself. I'm just wondering if anyone has taught themselves how to play and how dificult it was? or anybody who plays the piano thinks lessons are the way to go. thanks.

depends on your level of musical ability and discipline. I just did chord triads by working them out, then jammed on easy songs, worked on scales and arpeggios starting in C because of the lack of sharps/flats, did some low grade classical stuff like fur elise and went on to jazz and prog rock.
sorry can't help you. I took piano lessons for a good 4 years when I was younger. I imagine theres some quality learn to play piano or piano playing for morons books out there, I would direct you to them. If you understand basic chord composition and what not, it's not all that hard to pick up.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Yeah, it's totally possible to teach yourself, especially if you already play an instrument/ know about music.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
yeah i play guitar and i taught myself, but i have very little knowledge about reading sheet music and theory. so i thought mabey lessons would also help a little with that, even if it is different im sure there would be some overlap.
i think it's possible to become a semi-reasonable pianist teaching urself, but ull never b a great player. Lots of ppl start ther musical knowledge at the piano so its not often that people pick it up themselves. While its possible, its essential that u hav a decent knowledge of music b4 u start (eg. being able to read music as a bare minimum).

While it's not impossible, getting lessons or at least finding some1 w cud show u a few things wud b useful
I can read sheet music, and have played guitar for years. I can't play the piano worth a damn thought because my left hand can not move independantly (like keep seperate rhythym). And since I cant play piano it leads me to speculate that anyone who can must in fact be either a witch and or terrorist.
Piano is possibly the easiest instrument to teach yourself because all the notes are there! in front of your very eyes.

start slow, don't try to do anything tricky or you'll end up lacking basics. the beginning of Fur Elise is good to start, but don't try to do the middle, its grade 5 classical standard.

i taught myself and im at university standard in like, a year. so its possible
Its Complicated
this time i think it might be
Triangulated
i *kind of* taught myself piano in my music theory class because they had keyboards at the desks for the class, and i sat in the back.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I learned piano before guitar and gave me a lot of good theory backing as well as knowledge of timing, chord structure etc etc. Dunno if it works the other way round though...
Besides, why play piano when you can go skits on a keyboard, Dream Theatre style! XD
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!