I've been reading around about inflames' U.S fanbase and i keep coming across really negative reviews on Reroute to remain and Soundtrack to your escape. Those two albums are amazing! ST being the better one, how are they nu-metal like everyone is saying? I thought nu-metal was that wannabe metal "slipknot" type music...

Those two albums are amazingly powerful, and where the first of that type of music I've ever head. In flames, Soilwork, Blinded colony, they are all the same genre of powerful swedish metal, not nu-metal... (so i thought)
I loved both albums, but this is in the wrong forum.
R.I.P Samantha

My Gear
Esp Ltd M-400
Randall Rg75W Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha something Acoustic
Several other cheap guitars/basses/Amps
Quote by touji-za-nai
pit = anything, even though u might be right

The man speaks falsitudes.
<Han> I love Hitler
FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS CHRIST!!! Nu-Metal is not a ****ing genre!!!

Nu-Metal was a term coined for the litteral onslaught of hip-hop influenced bands that sprouted up in the late 90s/really early 00'. The best examples of supposed nu-metal are: Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, POD, Korn, etc.

GET IT PEOPLE?! HIP-HOP INFLUENCE ALTERNATIVE METAL/ROCK!
Quote by Johnny Two Tone

Yes it is.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by Johnny Two Tone

Nu-Metal was a term coined for the litteral onslaught of hip-hop influenced bands that sprouted up in the late 90s/really early 00'. The best examples of supposed nu-metal are: Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, POD, Korn, etc.

GET IT PEOPLE?! HIP-HOP INFLUENCE ALTERNATIVE METAL/ROCK!

still... ST and RR are not nu-metal
Oh, I guess I should comment on the OT.

While Soundtrack to Your Escape is mild In Flames Reroute To Remain is complete trash in my opinion - and I'm a huge In Flames fan. What it comes down to is after classic swedish metal-core albums like Claymen and Whoracle we get a completely uninspired turn of face from a band known for more atmospheric speedy tunes. Then after a couple years we hoped they'd come back and we could all just put RtR behind us. But instead they AGAIN release a flat uninspired album. At least with that album the ambiance came back. Too little too late though. This lead to In Flames' eventual selling out with the Come Clarity CD.

Don't get me wrong, though. The Come Clarity album is quiet an impressive and catchy CD but, alas, the In Flames of old was proven dead. Now that In Flames has some new songs from the upcoming album out we can hear that they are set on riding their much more mainstream success of their 'Come Clarity' style.

To hear what makes people love old In Flames so much buy the Claymen album. Three of my favorite In Flames songs are on that CD; "Bullet Ride", "Claymen", and Brush the Dust Away" are all on that album.
Quote by HaKattack
Yes it is.

Just because someone says it is, and tells everyone it is, then they tell everyone else it is, does not make it so.

Genres are things like, "Country", "Metal", "Rock & Roll", "Jazz", "Blues", "Classical", "Rap", etc.

Sub genres are primary branches of said genres; The genre "Metal" has primary sub-genres like "Alternative-Metal" or "Death-Metal"

Then there are secondary branches of said genres that are coined terms, usually by hipster douche bags that make terms up like "Chuuurch", "Pwnage", etc, and create pro-nouns for derogatory purposes only like, "Nu", "Prog" (and no I'm not talking about progressive), and split up obvious genres like techno into "house", "trance", "gay" etc or Metal into "nu", "math", "gore-grind" etc.

Eg. Technically Linkin Park is an 'altenative rock' band. They aren't even ****ing metal to begin with. But we like to slam that ****e band so we slump them in with nu-metal.
Johnny Two Tone, sorry I really didn't want to be a dick so don't be offended, but I just can't resist...I've never heard of the ClayMEN album...regardless Clayman is probably also my favorite overall In Flames album...I also enjoy Reroute and the tracks I've heard from Soundtrack, no they aren't as good as older In Flames,I still found them to be far better than plenty of other tunes out there, especially at the time they came out...I think the whole selling out thing is pretty rediculous in general...if you're in a professional band then that is you JOB, your means of providing for yourself, putting food on the table, paying the bills, etc...the point is to make money, we live in a capitalist society after all, thus, money is very important to living...bands that "sell out" are often doing so to adapt with the times and make themselves more accessible to a wider audience, thus selling more albums, making more money etc...end of unnecessary tangent...

Anyone know how the new album sounds?
Member of UG's gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join.
Quote by Johnny Two Tone

While Soundtrack to Your Escape is mild In Flames Reroute To Remain is complete trash in my opinion - and I'm a huge In Flames fan. What it comes down to is after classic swedish metal-core albums like Claymen and Whoracle we get a completely uninspired turn of face from a band known for more atmospheric speedy tunes. Then after a couple years we hoped they'd come back and we could all just put RtR behind us. But instead they AGAIN release a flat uninspired album. At least with that album the ambiance came back. Too little too late though. This lead to In Flames' eventual selling out with the Come Clarity CD.

Don't get me wrong, though. The Come Clarity album is quiet an impressive and catchy CD but, alas, the In Flames of old was proven dead. Now that In Flames has some new songs from the upcoming album out we can hear that they are set on riding their much more mainstream success of their 'Come Clarity' style.

To hear what makes people love old In Flames so much buy the Claymen album. Three of my favorite In Flames songs are on that CD; "Bullet Ride", "Claymen", and Brush the Dust Away" are all on that album.

name a band that sounded like "RTR" when it came out, which would mark inflames as unimaginative and uninspired. ST was better but reroute was still original when i heard it
Quote by DR132
Johnny Two Tone, sorry I really didn't want to be a dick so don't be offended, but I just can't resist...I've never heard of the ClayMEN album...regardless Clayman is probably also my favorite overall In Flames album...

Anyone know how the new album sounds?

You didn't sound like a dick EDIT: Hehe, oh see what you're pointing out.

Anyway... Don't confuse what I say about In Flames' progression. I'm the last person that'll bash a band for "selling out". Selling-out, like the term nu-metal, has lost most meaning from over use and I use it to mean the band has dropped its original preferred art form for a more lucrative package. I'm all for making money. Hell, if I were a recording artist my FIRST album would be a sell out album I loves me some cash!

But regardless of how one feels about a bands "sell out" album it is what it is. I love the Come Clarity CD. "Dead End", "Crawling Through Knives" and "Take This Life" of in my top 10 favorite In Flames songs. With that said, old In Flames is dead.
oh also! Reroute wasn't THAT far from the earlier albums, clayman (which was great) really does sound like the link between the old and new inflames, the main difference is that anders changed his vocal style drastically
Oh, and the new In Flames CD is a lot like the Come Clarity CD. You can go buy the new EP. It has a few new songs on it. You can go to In Flames' myspace page and hear the newest song.
Quote by Johnny Two Tone
You didn't sound like a dick EDIT: Hehe, oh see what you're pointing out.

Anyway... Don't confuse what I say about In Flames' progression. I'm the last person that'll bash a band for "selling out". Selling-out, like the term nu-metal, has lost most meaning from over use and I use it to mean the band has dropped its original preferred art form for a more lucrative package. I'm all for making money. Hell, if I were a recording artist my FIRST album would be a sell out album I loves me some cash!

But regardless of how one feels about a bands "sell out" album it is what it is. I love the Come Clarity CD. "Dead End", "Crawling Through Knives" and "Take This Life" of in my top 10 favorite In Flames songs. With that said, old In Flames is dead.

When i heard dead end in itunes w/e years ago, that's when i learned to love inflames
oh yeah no doubt...I see what you were saying, I was just kind of going off on a tangent about the selling out thing in general...I'd have to say In Flames is probably one of my favorite bands...anyway I'm listening to some samples on amazon right now from the new album, sounds pretty awesome in general from the 30 second clips they've got on there, anyone who's mildly interested should check 'em out...
Quote by Eternal_Death
The hell?

Get The Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony, anything else by In Flames sucks blue whale apparatus.

got 'em buddy...I do have at least a SLIGHT idea of what I'm talking about

anyway, you should learn to be able to respect and enjoy music regardless of what most people say about it and how it is labeled...you'll find ALOT of new stuff out there to enjoy if you just listen to music without classifying it and discriminating it just because of it's genre...actually listen to it then make your judgement...the blue whale apparatus part is surprisingly inventive btw...
Oh, and just to add another post to this thread my favorite In Flames songs (in no order):

Take This Life
Dead End
Crawling Through Knives
Dead Alone
My Sweet Shadow
Episode 666
The Jester Race
Colony
Zombie inc
Insipid 2000
Bullet Ride
Clayman
Brush The Dust Away
Swim

Hmm, now I shall burn myself a best of CD.
Quote by Eternal_Death
The hell?

Get The Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony, anything else by In Flames sucks blue whale apparatus.

How the hell could anyone say those album are the bees knees but Clayman sucks... well, what you said?!

The Lunar Strain CD is the only one I'd tell people to stay away from. Not because it's necessarily terrible but because it's so oddball and dark that it may turn people off right away.
Quote by Eternal_Death
The hell?

I BEG TO DIFFERR!!! JR actually bores me...
I hate it when people say bands should go back to *insert "better" time of band here*. They are trying to progress. Its the bands choice to make there music however they want and if In Flames feels that this is working for them good on 'em i wont stop them. You can even see the transition between new and old, Clayman was a huge change for In flames and then Reroute was another step, I wouldn't say it was the best step but the next two, possibility three, have been in a good place for the band creating a NEW sound for themselves. (Caps for emphasis)
Raise Your Hand If you Like:

3 inches of blood
Amon Amarth
Coheed and Cambria
Death Cab For Cutie
Every Time I Die
I Killed the Prom Queen
In Flames
Pride Tiger

My cousins band from Vancouver-NWOBCHM- myspace.com/scarstruckmetalband
Quote by Johnny Two Tone
How the hell could anyone say those album are the bees knees but Clayman sucks... well, what you said?!

The Lunar Strain CD is the only one I'd tell people to stay away from. Not because it's necessarily terrible but because it's so oddball and dark that it may turn people off right away.

ya i would have to agree, lunar strain makes me depressed to listen to.. not in a "why even" kinda way, but a "DAMN, tats some strong negativity" kinda way
Quote by Adamus9
I hate it when people say bands should go back to *insert "better" time of band here*. They are trying to progress. Its the bands choice to make there music however they want and if In Flames feels that this is working for them good on 'em i wont stop them. You can even see the transition between new and old, Clayman was a huge change for In flames and then Reroute was another step, I wouldn't say it was the best step but the next two, possibility three, have been in a good place for the band creating a NEW sound for themselves. (Caps for emphasis)

the entire new album is on their myspace now isnt it? I love it verses are a little lacking, but the choruses are great as always
Quote by Adamus9

While this is all true the original topic was why so many people have hate towards RtR and StYE.

EDIT:

I'd also like to add that I've always wondered why bands don't just make different sounding songs in each album. Why does each album have to be a self contained product? Why can't you have an album with a song that sounds like Episode 666 and another song that sounds like Crawling Through Knives? Everyone refers to a bands collection of albums as progression. Why "progress" when you can just make any song at any time?

And I'm not talking about styles. Why not use different sounding effect. In 'Soundtrack' the drummer used a weird "pinging" sound with his kit for ambiance - why not use that on other albums?

One day I'd like to hear an official album that had the feeling of a best of CD. Just completely different vibes all throughout the CD.
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by Johnny Two Tone
While this is all true the original topic was why so many people have hate towards RtR and StYE.

well most people wanted more old inflames but thats not how the band rolls and they had a very different guitar tone on those albums so they met rather mixed reactions

EDIT To edit above me: most bands gather influences and write based on those creating a similar sounding album. It would be possible for a band to create a eclectic album but it rarely happens for reasons stated
Raise Your Hand If you Like:

3 inches of blood
Amon Amarth
Coheed and Cambria
Death Cab For Cutie
Every Time I Die
I Killed the Prom Queen
In Flames
Pride Tiger

My cousins band from Vancouver-NWOBCHM- myspace.com/scarstruckmetalband
Last edited by Adamus9 at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by Johnny Two Tone

EDIT:

I'd also like to add that I've always wondered why bands don't just make different sounding songs in each album. Why does each album have to be a self contained product? Why can't you have an album with a song that sounds like Episode 666 and another song that sounds like Crawling Through Knives? Everyone refers to a bands collection of albums as progression. Why "progress" when you can just make any song at any time?

And I'm not talking about styles. Why not use different sounding effect. In 'Soundtrack' the drummer used a weird "pinging" sound with his kit for ambiance - why not use that on other albums?

One day I'd like to hear an official album that had the feeling of a best of CD. Just completely different vibes all throughout the CD.

Labels like bands that don't vary between album now UH--- days

EDIT: also, bands write dozens of songs between albums usually (my band wrote over 50 sons, only 6 are being used for our first EP), and their top songs in their opinion get picked, so their change in tone does happen song by song just very slowly... u just hear the end result usually, which is what the album is.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by Johnny Two Tone

yep The older In Flames seems much more inspired and melody driven than the newer stuff...........

Actually been a while since i have listened to IF (the newer stuff kinda turned me off) and this thread made me go back... Colony --- what a ****ing awesome album
Last edited by Collapsar at Apr 1, 2008,
Am I the only one who likes Reroute to Remain more than Soundtrack?

Soundtrack had a few (2 or 3) songs I liked and overall sounded gritty, dirty, more rhythmic and less melodic for me. What are the reasons that made RTR bad and ST better?

What do you people think about A Sense of Purpose in terms of melody and In Flames' older works?