I just bought a Squier Fender Strat starter pack today and I have no experience what so ever with guitars. I keep hearing about "setting" the guitar. What is this? Is this adjusting all the mechanics of a newly bought guitar? If so, would my local Guitar Center help me with this process? I really don't want to do it myself since I'll have no idea what to do.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
A setup usually consists of lowering or raising the action of the strings (how far from the fretboard they are), adjusting the amount of neck relief with the truss rod, a fret dressing/crowning, intonating the strings, possibly new strings, and other general things. It basically makes it so the guitar is more comfortable to play. Guitar Center should do it for you, although I'd trust the tech at a local store more than anybody at GC.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
it's all to do with the string height, intonation, and bridge & truss rod adjustment. Basically it affects how easy it is to play the guitar.
Take it into a music store, as long as it's not totally f*cked, they'll set it up free of charge
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12