Hey guys, thanks for helping me out with suggestions for a lighter guitar. I had the afternoon off today and managed to spend 2 hours at my local guitar shop pretty much going through all the guitars that were suggested!

Funny enough, I just didn't feel right with a strat/tele, the neck and playability felt really weird for me, probably because I've been playing les pauls the whole time....so deciding to probably stick with les pauls for now...However, the store did sell pickups and the gibson p94s caught my eye, I'm thinking they might be a good fit on my epi les paul custom.

I have two guitars, a gibson lp standard and an epiphone les paul. I use both equally and they are kept in different tunings. I do prefer the sound of the gibson, but I somewhat prefer the feel of the epiphone =)

So yea, naturally I'm thought about changing the pickups on the epi to gibsons(burstbuckers maybe?). However, I have no experience was replacing pickups at all, and I don't plan to do it myself. I'm hoping that the new pickups will fit perfectly in, so no cutting bigger holes is invloved...I had my eye on the gibson p94 burstbuckers, does anyone have experience with them? will they fit in nicely? and more importantly, how do the things sound? They look blooding amazing!

I'm kinda hoping to get a similar (or hotter) sound than my gibson lp standard. All suggestions welcome! Please I don't need people telling me an epiphone will never compare to a gibson, I have both, I know what they sound and play like. I do realise that they are made of different wood and stuff so it'll be hard to replicate the sound of a gibson on an epi, but I don't need them to be exactly the same lol

Thanks for your help! You guys rock.

I play rock with abit of punk to it through a 100 watt marshall JCM900
Last edited by meatsac at Apr 1, 2008,
^+1

I tend to think that Gibson pickups are overpriced, considering you can get custom-wound pickups from places like High Order for cheaper.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I just put duncans in my Epi Lp (see sig) they sound great and look good too

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Quote by Awaken
I just put duncans in my Epi Lp (see sig) they sound great and look good too

are they good for heavy metal?
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
SH-5 is the duncan custom. it's perfect for drop tunings, and metal. also good for cleans. but i would prefer the Custom 5.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
i just looked at the p94. it's a humbucker sized p90. more like a phat cat.
if you want P90 tones from your bucker, go for the p94 or phat cat. but for me, gibson's pickups are a bit over priced. so i say gor for phat cats. look into their P-Rails. cheers.
duncan>everything else
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
duncan>everything else

Quote by kckyle
bareknuckle>duncan

it's all about preference.
Quote by leviticus_22953
it's all about preference.

true. it just so happen people perfer bk pups over duncan for les pauls
NICE ****ING AMP lucky...... burstbuckers look cool. that's all that matters. lolz. acutally i dont know how they sound, so yeah. i'd recommend seymour duncan the hot rodded silver cover set. i have experience the original hot rodded and it's pretty good for passives. dont get tb4's. i have those and they suck.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Silver-Special-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-Limited-Edition?sku=481884
these are awesome and look cool

original:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
NICE ****ING AMP lucky...... burstbuckers look cool. that's all that matters. lolz. acutally i dont know how they sound, so yeah. i'd recommend seymour duncan the hot rodded silver cover set. i have experience the original hot rodded and it's pretty good for passives. dont get tb4's. i have those and they suck.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Silver-Special-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-Limited-Edition?sku=481884
these are awesome and look cool

original:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030

wtf?
the TB-4 is just a trembucker version of the SH-4 JB. the only difference is the spacing between pole pieces. so you're recommending the hot rodded humbucker set with the SH-4 JB when in reality, it's the same as the TB-4 you dislike.
Screw Burstbuckers here, too expensive and not overly exciting for what you want.

If you already have a Gibson and play rock/punk then you want the Epi to be it's angry little brother with a rebellios streak, dirtier, meaner and downright sleazy.

I'm with leviticus here, Duncan Custom 5 bridge, Pearly Gates neck. I'd take the Custom 5 over the other variants because of the Alnico 5 magnet, it's a bit more organic sounding than the regular Custom. The Pearly Gates has a bit more top end and sizzle than something like the 59 or Alnico Pro 2 so it's a little bit raunchier, matches well with the Custom 5 if you're going for that down n'dirty vibe.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'd give tim at bareknuckle an e-mail and see what he recomends
I'd probably go with something like BKP nailbombs or holy divers if you want it to be hotter than a normal les paul.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by bnichguitar
emg passives (active is for extreme metal in my opinion)

either those or duncan blackouts
SUM LIKE IT LOUD
I LIKE IT LOUDER
Quote by woodenbandman
from that angle you look like my girfriend.
Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded works fine for me. JB + Jazz is one of the most versatile combination you can get.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

custom order some hand wounds from somewhere.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.