Page 1 of 2
Any of you guys do it? I know Dimebag said he'd double up distortion pedals on occasion. I wonder if you can get a pretty sweet tone by combining two, or maybe even three bluesy overdrive pedals.

I call it hyperdrive. There. Patent pending.
of course you can. ive run a distortion pedal for some main grit, and then an overdrive pedal in front of it to tighten things up and get a boost. but i prefer my fuzz being pushed by an od pedal, cause that can just sound sick. thats also why they make stuff like the visual sound jekyll and hyde or double trouble.
SRV was famous for running two tube screamers at once.
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150
Tama have a line of drums called Hyper Drive

might wanna consider that
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Yous shouldn'ts do that...
you coulds blows up and perish in mighty fires
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Quote by Chris.Rock.Art
I like you and you are special

Quote by perry589
I don't wank. I auto fellatio.

I always double distortion or OD with my big muff

It's hot.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Tama have a line of drums called Hyper Drive

might wanna consider that

......what?
I like running a light OD into a higher-gain OD.
I also like running an OD into a fuzz.
Fuzz into OD sounds good too.
So does fuzz into fuzz.
And OD into OD into fuzz.
Quote by yoursweatersux
Any of you guys do it? I know Dimebag said he'd double up distortion pedals on occasion. I wonder if you can get a pretty sweet tone by combining two, or maybe even three bluesy overdrive pedals.

I call it hyperdrive. There. Patent pending.

dimebags tone was pathetic though

it can be done, sure. just be wary of too much noise building up
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Sure you can do it.... I use to run an Maxon 808-Rat2-Muff PI, and varying combinations of the 3 to complete all kinds of tones. I actually rehoused the Muff and the Rat together so I could save pedal board space, since I played them together so often...

Check it out:http://www.putfile.com/album/97517
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Why do you need that many overdrive/distortion pedals? Just get one and save on the money and the looking like a douche.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Well, i rarely do it, but thats probably because i have the Boss DS-2 in the FX chain BEFORE my marshall overdrive.. maybe it should be the other way round?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by mcw00t
Why do you need that many overdrive/distortion pedals? Just get one and save on the money and the looking like a douche.

I use five different dirt pedals, because they all sound different. I use my amp's overdrive too. What's wrong with having different tonal options?
Quote by kyrreca
I use five different dirt pedals, because they all sound different. I use my amp's overdrive too. What's wrong with having different tonal options?

>.< someone missed my point, also, why do you need those different tonal options? I mean yeah, versatility is good, but you do not need that much.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
>.< someone missed my point, also, why do you need those different tonal options? I mean yeah, versatility is good, but you do not need that much.

Who are you to decide what other people need? If someone plays a lot of different styles, that versatility might be needed. Furthermore, combining different pedals can give you tones that aren't availble from one pedal on its own. Some people like to experiment with pedals, others don't. That's fine.

That being said, a lot of the time I just plug straight into my amp, with nothing but a hint of delay in the loop. It all depends on the situation.
Quote by The Real Ming
What an ignorant statement. You must have pedal envy.
That would be like a painter only using one color.

What the hell? No it wouldn't...

It would be like a painter using one pallete if you're using that analogy.

And if I wanted more overdrive pedals, I'd have bought them, but as it is, I don't and therefore haven't.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I'M NOT SAYING THAT.

The TS sounded like one of those "lololol dime did it so it must be good" people, so I was saying that it's possible to get a good tone with just one.

GOD some people are faggots.

And that WAS directed at you.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
No, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have go right to... ludicrous speed!

I've actually ran my guitar through a Tube Screamer (first) then a DS-1 (second) at the same time. It made a terrible distortion that sounded like a Line 6 Spider (I kid.. I kid.. I own one). But in all honesty it was pretty bad.

However, I've used my Tube Screamer with the drive all the way up in front of my TSL (on the lead channel) and that thing sounded INSANE!

Dimebag did run 2 distortions from time to time, and his tone sounded AWESOME, not pathetic like some guy said. The point of his tone was to sound like someone just dropped a freight train.. not to sound warm or sweet.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Quote by mcw00t
I'M NOT SAYING THAT.

The TS sounded like one of those "lololol dime did it so it must be good" people, so I was saying that it's possible to get a good tone with just one.

You have some type of problem.
Your ignorance and lack of knowledge amuses me. During a discussion, you resort to name calling, this shows how immature you are. So go ahead and spew some more names. Your lack of knowledge and experience tells me that it is not worth debating this topic with you.

Your sig. tells me everything I need to know about you. Inferiority complex maybe?
Last edited by The Real Ming at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by The Real Ming
You have some type of problem.
Your ignorance and lack of knowledge amuses me. During a discussion, you resort to name calling, this shows how immature you are. So go ahead and spew some more names. Your lack of knowledge and experience tells me that it is not worth debating this topic with you.

My ignorance and lack of knowledge...nice. You think I'm ignorant and lack knowledge, go on, try me.

I wouldn't really call this a discussion either.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by noodlegts

Dimebag did run 2 distortions from time to time, and his tone sounded AWESOME, not pathetic like some guy said. The point of his tone was to sound like someone just dropped a freight train.. not to sound warm or sweet.

I dig Dime's Tone most of the time..

Personally, I thought his tone with Damageplan was killer... although a lot of the stuff with Pantera was a bit thin and trebly... But then again that's probably because of his rig change.

Still, I don't know why people bash his tone all the time..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by the.spine.surfs
TS9 + Muff = Bellamy.

Really? I didn't know that.

Now I'll have to try it out, which requires hooking my pedal board up.

Damn you the.spine.surfs!
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
Really? I didn't know that.

Now I'll have to try it out, which requires hooking my pedal board up.

Damn you the.spine.surfs!

Now I don't think he uses that specifically; I just meant that some very Bellamy-like tones are available.

Damn me, indeed.
Lmao, mcwoot, jus stop posting

and to TS - yea, multiple distortion pedals works, but it's up to you if you really want to invest in it like that.
Quote by mcw00t

Or...just get an amp which does it.
Quote by mcw00t
I'M NOT SAYING THAT.

*reported*
Using two boost/overdrives/fuzz's/distortions together can be really handy. I sometimes use my Big Muff into my TS9, using the mid boost of the TS9 to counter the mid scoop of the Big Muff. As for why people would want so many tones...I don't know if I've ever heard a more rediculous question. For different songs perhaps? Different genres? Not everyone plays just one genre all the time.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by henza_x
......what?

cuz TS said hooking up 2 OD/Dist. pedals would be patented as Hyper Drive

but he cant patent it under that name due to Tama's Hyper Drive name
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
clean boost/minimum gain overdrive into overdrive pedal sounds niiice.

seriously tho, one expensive pedal sounds much better than two cheap ones.
i know its a bit irrelevent but my friend got back from japan the other day with a Maxon OD9 Pro+ which is my first 'proper' OD pedal and WOW! what a difference a good OD in front of a tube amp makes! really tightens it up especially on lower volumes, i don't know what i did without it lol
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
i think tube amp distortion is most often gonna be ur best bet for tone. strangely though, i prefer the distortion coming out of my blackstar pedal to my amp.
Page 1 of 2