So i got new strings today, which were lighter than my old strings (new ones are super slinkys) and after putting them on I noticed a horrible fret buzz from the first couple of frets where the strings are almost touching the fret, and as i go down the neck the action gets higher and higher.
After reading about it before I figured it had to do with the truss rod. I did the test where you fret the first and last fret and look around the 7-9th frets and see if you can fit a credit card inbetween, and you definetely could not fit a credit card in there.
So I figure I'm going to have to adjust the truss rod (I'd rather learn to do it myself than rely on somebody else, and don't worry I follow directions very carefully) I'm just not sure exactly how it all works
Using this website : http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/ This is how I figure it works:
1) Remove strings
2) Remove cover plate
3) Turn Truss Rod counter-clockwise 1/8 of an inch
4) Put cover plate and strings back on, let it sit for an hour
5) Use the fret test again, if it needs more adjusting repeat steps 1-4

Could someone please tell me whether I am right or wrong, or give more tips/insight/whatever?

BTW- My guitar is an Ibanez Rg321
Last edited by eddiethehead888 at Apr 1, 2008,
You got it all right except removing the strings. Doing that is a waste of time and would probably screw up your neck if your adjusting it.
Don't remove the strings.

Just turn it 45 degrees in the correct direction (I can't remember what way sorry)
Then let it sit as long as you can (an hour or two at least)
Keep the strings on and up to tune, that way it can adjust to the right tension.

At least this is how I have learned it. I think if you are taking strings on and off while adjusting the truss rod, that would mess it up more.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Ok first, you don't have to remove the strings, just loosen the middle two enough so that you can move them out of the way.

Second, you don't have to wait an hour after every tiny adjustment, that's just cautious well past the point of paranoia. Just adjust it to your liking and forget about it; and if you come back tomorrow and it's off, just readjust it.

Third thing, it sounds like your nut might be a little low as well. To check it, fret a string at the third fret, then look at the gap at the first fret: it shouldn't be touching the first fret, but should be just barely above it.

One final note, truss rods aren't nearly as delicate as everyone makes them out to be, so don't stress over adjusting it too much.
How would i get to the truss rod without taking off my strings though?

Is there enough room to unscrew the cover plate and stick the allen key inbetween the strings?

Edit- ^^^^^^^Thanks, ill just loosen the mid 2 strings then, i just did that test right now and the string does just barely sit above the fret so i think the nut is fine
turn 1/4" at most tonight.
dont force the turn, and give the guitar time to settle.

any other way, for a first time adjustment is very unwise.

no reason to over adjust, you wont even know how much to continue to adjust if you dont wait.

leave the guitar IN tune while it's settling.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
So when I'm done adjusting I put the 2 middle strings back into the right spot on the nut, tune them, and then let it sit? Wouldn't that put more stress on the truss rod again? Or would it be such a small, unnoticable difference?
Could someone please answer my question above really quickly, i'm going to be adjusting the truss in few minutes...
The truss rod reacts to the string tension, it needs to be in tune so it will react correctly. If you let it settle with the guitar out of tune, once you tune it up you will need to adjust it wrong.

So yes, put the strings back in the right slots and tune it to your regular tuning.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
The truss rod reacts to the string tension, it needs to be in tune so it will react correctly. If you let it settle with the guitar out of tune, once you tune it up you will need to adjust it wrong.

So yes, put the strings back in the right slots and tune it to your regular tuning.

+1.

Without the normal amount of tension it would just need adjusting again.