Okay, so I want to know, when you guys screw around with random notes, what goes through your minds and what must I learn to be able to improvise/make songs? What goes through your mind and what do you think of? I really want to be able to improvise and make original stuff but all I can play is covers of songs that I've learned. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
learn other solos, and put those licks in your own solos, in different keys and places within the solo.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
I'm assuming you don't know much but just mess around with the pentatonic scale,then move onto modes.etc
You should be able to find a good video explaining the pentatonic scale on youtube and
Quote by timo1
I'm assuming you don't know much but just mess around with the pentatonic scale,then move onto modes.etc
You should be able to find a good video explaining the pentatonic scale on youtube and

I know what scales are, I've been playing for about a year and and 2-3 months so I can play.. my fingers are familiar with the fret board and I have 2-3 scales familiarized. But I still can't do much with them. I just play random notes from a certain scale and find patterns but I feel really limited... Oh and isn't the pentatonic scale the, 1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4 pattern?

I'll check it out some videos on modes.. thanks for the advice..
Like someone already said, try learning licks to some good solos and incorporate them into your playing, by changing the keys and moving the basic shapes around. Basically good solos are just notes that are within the scale which you modulate according to the backing track and by doing tricks like bending, legato, vibrato and such. And try soloing over a backing track, that generally helps with soloing at least.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Quote by spider666
Like someone already said, try learning licks to some good solos and incorporate them into your playing, by changing the keys and moving the basic shapes around. Basically good solos are just notes that are within the scale which you modulate according to the backing track and by doing tricks like bending, legato, vibrato and such. And try soloing over a backing track, that generally helps with soloing at least.

Well the thing is I really want to learn what it is I'm doing rather than just taking from someone else. I want to learn how it works and what's going on so I can better understand it and be more original and have write better songs and do better improvs.
Quote by Nikon87
I know what scales are, I've been playing for about a year and and 2-3 months so I can play.. my fingers are familiar with the fret board and I have 2-3 scales familiarized. But I still can't do much with them. I just play random notes from a certain scale and find patterns but I feel really limited... Oh and isn't the pentatonic scale the, 1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4 pattern?

I'll check it out some videos on modes.. thanks for the advice..

Yeah,but theres more to it it goes down the fretboard,not just in one place
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Squ_vYskY3M that's a good video that explains more of the pentatonic scale.You can also add blues notes to it to get it to sound more bluesy
eg.am pentatonic on the root= 5-8,5-6-7,5-7,5-7-8,5-8,5-8
Well what they're all trying to tell you isn't "copy licks and transpose" but learn from the licks and see how they all fit within whichever key it may be in and try to see how you can mix it up and make it original-

And you said you only know about 3 scales? You should try building it up-learn every major scale and the different fingering positions so you can move up and down the fretboard easily. Although a lot of people say improvising is all about the feel-honestly the only way I got to the stage of improvising was hardcore scale practice. I practiced so much to the point where my fingers just sort of move around on their own now when I improvise.
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -