so ive been tryin to learn this intro ever since i started playing, the picking pattern is just to damn hard and i can never get it up to speed and i never see any improvement in my speed check it out and see if you have some advice

-----------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------
------10------9----10------10-----9----10----------10------12-----10-----10----10----9---9-
-7-7-----7-7----7-----8-8-----8-8---8-----12-12------12------12----12-----10----10--10--10-
-------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------

its played 1/8th notes at 240 bpm. the picking just seems impossible to push that fast, and i dont know what else to do. please give useful advice and not just to practice, ive been practicing it for probably over a year
Practice slowly ( with a metronome if possible) then speed up gradually. You'll be able to play it in no time! Maybe even record yourself now and practice for a week or two and record yourself the improvement should inspire you even more.
Have you only been practicing that? try doing something else, something similar, maybe not so fast, but with a similar picking pattern. or better yet come up with your own. Indeed i am going to say it just takes practice, and more practice. Try moving on from it and come back to it later if you cant play it now.

(mind you if you are only Alternate picking it becomes a little harder, have you tried economy picking?)
Quote by Bloodsick
Practice slowly ( with a metronome if possible) then speed up gradually. You'll be able to play it in no time! Maybe even record yourself now and practice for a week or two and record yourself the improvement should inspire you even more.

i have been practicing slow and speeding up with metronome for that year i was talking about lol so its taking me a little more time than no time at all

as to the other response, how would you economy pick that? like which notes would be picked in which direction?
ive dabbled with economy picking before but found that it screws up my rhythm and timing of notes so ive never really tried it much after that
Quote by Themitch
Have you only been practicing that? try doing something else, something similar, maybe not so fast, but with a similar picking pattern. or better yet come up with your own. Indeed i am going to say it just takes practice, and more practice. Try moving on from it and come back to it later if you cant play it now.

(mind you if you are only Alternate picking it becomes a little harder, have you tried economy picking?)

at the risk of sounding stupid

what is economy picking?

If it was me, I'd pick it D-D-U---D-D-U- etc until it changes and then go D-U-D-U- etc.

Try to not anchor your finger to the guitar. I've found this slows me down but it also makes it less accurate.
well i know im not some economy picking genius but it does not seem very economical to down pick the first note twice does it? because I would be wasting a perfectly good upstroke that would go to waste and slow it down?

please explain

and also what do you mean by anchoring my finger to the guitar?
I think they mean, for example, on the first 12 notes, they would do: D-U-D-U-D-D-U-D-U-D-D-U
Looks like the tab for "Tears Don't Fall" to me. I alternate pick this tbh. However, learn the intro to "Four Words To Choke Upon" it has an exactly the same picking pattern but is much easier to do imo.

Then go back to the "Tears Don't Fall" tab and try again. Hope this helps, and don't forget to start it off slowly making sure it is clean when you play it and gradually the speed will come. Speed is a bi-product of accuracy.
Quote by Chinfrim
Sadly we have not shotguns and go around saying "Get Out of Mah Propertay!!"
Quote by JimmehHunter
at the risk of sounding stupid

what is economy picking?

Don't worry about it, it's the basics forum for a reason. Economy picking means that you alternate pick when notes are on the same strings, but every time you move to another string, the pickstroke moves in the same direction as the stroke before it.
in economy picking the riff above is done (first 8 notes):
U-D-D-U-D-D-U-D
in alternate picking is either:
U-D-U-D-U-D-U-D or
D-U-D-U-D-U-D-U

To get this riff faster: practice it VERY SLOW for 5 minutes (50% or less than your max speed), then 1 minute at your max speed. Repeat it every day :-) Always use a metronome.
Quote by tommaso.zillio
in economy picking the riff above is done (first 8 notes):
U-D-D-U-D-D-U-D
in alternate picking is either:
U-D-U-D-U-D-U-D or
D-U-D-U-D-U-D-U

To get this riff faster: practice it VERY SLOW for 5 minutes (50% or less than your max speed), then 1 minute at your max speed. Repeat it every day :-) Always use a metronome.

thats how i was thinking to economy pick, everyone else who posted a picking pattern just didnt make sense because it wasnt very economical use of picking motion.

i will try this method of super slow then fast, because before i was just going slow for a minute and then pushing myself to the brink, i have it at about 220 on a good day so i only need 20 more bpm.

and the riff is from rufio- above me just to clear it up