Hi there guys, i just wanted to get the low down on boss pedals.

What are the best models of the following boss pedals?
chorus
flanger
distortion
phaser
noise gate
delay

What are the worst boss pedals out of them all/ ones to stay clear from?

What are the best type of boss pedals to buy (ie madein japan silver label?)

Thanks a bunch!
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
Last edited by gface at Apr 1, 2008,
What are the best boss pedals?

For what?

What are the worst?

For what?

What are the best types to buy (ie madein japan silver lable?)

For what?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
get a Boss GT8: all the boss pedals, in one unit, and more
serious
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by druz15_UG
get a Boss GT8: all the boss pedals, in one unit, and more
serious

no, it isnt all boss pedals in one unit.....
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
ah, yes it is, well a digital representation of them anyway. Pick any boss pedal and my GT8 can do what it does. The only advantage to actually having all the pedals is that you could simultaneously run every distortion pedal, but that would sound crap
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

yeah but dont stomp boxes sound better than multi fx?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface

Not necessarily.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.

well that's the reputation multi effects have got from crappy models like digitech and line6. We A/B'd a real muff fuzz and just the muff fuzz model on the GT8 it sounded identical and i even spectrum analyzed it on the computer and you couldn't see much of a difference between the two signals
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

well, the gt-8 is surely one of the best multi fx but it doesnt beat the real thing, the sound is much flatter than the single pedal it tries to emulate....
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
You can get MUCH wider spectre of sounds with individual pedals I dislike proccessors. Lots of them sound worse than pedals.
<3 John Frusciante
The only current production Boss pedals that are worth buying are the delay ones. IMO.
These go to eleven...
Quote by gface

Eh... the TU-2 is pretty good, if overpriced.

Quote by gface

Practically all of them.

Aren't there any other brands you could look at? EHX? MXR?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by gface

As stated, not necessarily. Multieffects units from companies like Eventide and TC Electronic have been praised for years for their sound quality. To a lesser extent, other companies have, in recent years, been investing a lot of time and money into improving their multieffects units while maintaining an affordable price point.

EDIT: One thing to look at with the Boss pedals is that they're pretty much all buffered, so even if they do color the tone, the signal won't be degrading. Another thing to think about is they're very solid, especially considering the price. It's been a long time since I've seen anyone break a Boss pedal. The one thing that constantly has me interested in some of their products is the fact that many of them are much better featured than many of the more expensive competing products. If you aren't bent on perfect sound quality, then they generally do an excellent job.

I really can't wait for the Slicer to go on sale.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Last edited by Kendall at Apr 1, 2008,
Chorus - CE-1, CE-2, CE-5
Distortion/OD - Blues Driver
Delay - DD-6, DD-20

Out of the type of pedals you're looking for, those are the only Boss pedals I'd recommend. I've never really spent enough time with Boss flangers or phasers to really comment.
Chorus - CE-2, CE-1
Overdrive - OD-1
Phaser - PH-1/PH-1r
Delay - DM-2
Flanger - BF-2

Most, if not all of these are Japanese models.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
i have an exact spec knockoff of a Boss CE-2, and it sounds pretty good, but I recommend EHX or MXR over Boss for pretty much everything, I even like most Digitech stuff over Boss.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kendall
As stated, not necessarily. Multieffects units from companies like Eventide and TC Electronic have been praised for years for their sound quality. To a lesser extent, other companies have, in recent years, been investing a lot of time and money into improving their multieffects units while maintaining an affordable price point.

EDIT: One thing to look at with the Boss pedals is that they're pretty much all buffered, so even if they do color the tone, the signal won't be degrading. Another thing to think about is they're very solid, especially considering the price. It's been a long time since I've seen anyone break a Boss pedal. The one thing that constantly has me interested in some of their products is the fact that many of them are much better featured than many of the more expensive competing products. If you aren't bent on perfect sound quality, then they generally do an excellent job.

I really can't wait for the Slicer to go on sale.

ooh are they releasing the slicer as a stompbox? sweet
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by gface
Hi there guys, i just wanted to get the low down on boss pedals.

chorus
flanger
distortion
phaser
noise gate
delay

What are the best type of boss pedals to buy (ie madein japan silver label?)

Thanks a bunch!

Um the most expensive ones are usually the best models.....

Usually the most expensive models at the time and made in Japan.. to answer your next question.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Apr 2, 2008,
I just paid for an MIJ HM-2, it gets great reviews, and I only paid 35 bucks.
We'll see when it gets here.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by add45
Phaser - PH-1/PH-1r
Delay - DM-2
Flanger - BF-2

Most, if not all of these are Japanese models.

i agree with these. the old boss phasers are supposed to be quite nice (havent really played them). ive got a ph-2 and it sounds nicer than the ph-3. the ph-1 is supposed to be even nicer, which would be, well, really nice. the bf-2 ive tried and liked. much better than the bf-3. havent tried the dm-2, but ive heard great things.

basicly boss is nice for some solidly built starter pedals. they have stuff like the gt-8 which is going to be expensive but nice. they also have stuff that is unique like the slow gear. but for the most part id say they are just good for cheap mid-grade effects. not going to be really bad quality, but nothing (especially in current production) really stands out to me as wonderful quality either.
I quite dislike Boss.
Some of their stuff is alright (and the SD1 and DS1 are great platforms for modding), but for the most part I don't like them. Well, EH or something probably has something better for the same price.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
chorus - ce-1's are good, but i like ce-2, however they add volume and a mid range hump
flanger - people tend to like the bf-2 i haven't tried it or the bf-3
distortion - you can't go wrong with a modded ds-1. people like the old od-2 and the new od-3 isnt bad.
phaser ph-1r
noise gate nada. the boss ones suck
delay - the DM-2 is one of the best compact analog delays out there. AM modded DD-5 (high cut and 100% wet) and the dd-2 is the warmest out of all the digital delays they have. the dd-7 should be on the lookout for.
Sigs are too hard to think up
Last edited by the_crimison at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by darkarbiter7
I quite dislike Boss.
Some of their stuff is alright (and the SD1 and DS1 are great platforms for modding), but for the most part I don't like them. Well, EH or something probably has something better for the same price.

In the UK, Boss is much cheaper than Electro-Harmonix. (oh great, that sounded a little bit like one of those "in soviet russia button presses you" jokes...)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.