IF YOU DON'T LIKE READIN ALOT LIKE ME SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE CAPS AGAIN =D

So my uncle left a crappy old bc rich lying around for me when he moved away, I picked it up, taught myself how to play (kinda) learned snippets of a few songs (mostly from zeppelin), TRIED to learn the 11 min. stairway to heaven and gave up at the bridge haha...

since that I've never done much more besides pick it up on an off day and just strum something I learned.

I never used to use an amp until I went and bought a Marshall 10 watt just to play around with. Used it for a few weeks and the old bc rich gave out on me. Don't know what the problem is, don't much care for that bc rich either. Pretty much stopped playing at that point.

A year or 2 later (now) I wanna play again and this time really get into it as a hobby. Still got that little 10 watt sitting in my room collecting dust. I've read some of that sticky about how the amp is most important, and as far as I know Marshall is supposed to be a good quality brand. But I need to buy a new guitar.

WHAT WILL HELP DECIDE WHAT I SHOULD BUY:

-I want to play pretty casually just playing to myself or showing off to some friends =D. Just a little hobby type thing. I've gotten very used to just playing an electric without an amp at all (lol), so getting perfect tone/sound isn't much of an issue for me.

-I don't like heavy metal or anything more hardcore than that. Led zeppelin is about the closest to heavy metal I will like. Other than zeppelin I'd say I'd like to play alternative rock, maybe some blues (like zeppelin's blues).

-I have a 10 watt marshall amp right now.

-I want the guitar to look like something like standard/classic gibson les paul; or just to look nice and classy

-Budget, I would say 400$ is pushing it. So something ~250-300 would be great.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
Oh another question, whats the difference between a telecaster, stratocaster, and a guitar that's neither of those?
well im not sure but from where you are.. id say you need a new amp.. is the marc\shall an mg series?
New Playlist On My Profile

Quote by chll
i think she's a horny type girl

cuz 1 tym io remember she asked me to kiss her
Quote by shaf_9110
Oh another question, whats the difference between a telecaster, stratocaster, and a guitar that's neither of those?

They're all built for different kinds of music - not gonna pretend I'm an expert on Fender since I spend all my times playing Gibsons and Epiphones but for the most part - the Stratocaster is basically the standard electric guitar body shape-probably the most recognizable to guitarists and non-guitarists and next in line would most likely be the Les Paul. If your budget is 200-300 bucks, you'd probably be in store for an MIM (made in mexico) strat. The higher quality strats and teles are made in the USA but they're way more expensive.

You'll probably get a lot more in depth answers from the other guys on here.

As for my advice on getting a guitar-It depends on what you like. The MIM strat would be a great starter guitar and the body shape is pretty comfortable, not too heavy, and it's good for rock.

If you're looking for something with a heavier sound, Les Pauls are a great choice and I think someone above mentioned Agiles-good brand, better quality control than Epiphones I've heard.
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
look on GC online and Musicians friend. And if you want something like the zeppelin sound (kinda sorta like it) just get a guitar with humbuckers.
I like how F-holes look, but how will they affect the sound, I don't wanna buy a guitar just because it looks cool, but I also don't really mind if it changes the sound signficantly.
Quote by shaf_9110
I like how F-holes look, but how will they affect the sound, I don't wanna buy a guitar just because it looks cool, but I also don't really mind if it changes the sound signficantly.

You're talking about semi-hollow or otherwise known as archtop guitars. The most common ones would probably be a Gibson ES-335 and those guitars are commonly used for blues and jazz. A big no-no for anyone who wants to play rock. Not that they're useless in the genre of rock but they're made to specialize in jazz/blues.
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
Quote by Koreanflow
You're talking about semi-hollow or otherwise known as archtop guitars. The most common ones would probably be a Gibson ES-335 and those guitars are commonly used for blues and jazz. A big no-no for anyone who wants to play rock. Not that they're useless in the genre of rock but they're made to specialize in jazz/blues.

What are you talking about? They are completely fine for rock, especially if you're not going any heavier the Zeppelin.

And the MG is pretty bad but if you're just playing casually then keep it for a while and get a better practice amp later.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
You can TRY, and look for a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard around here, or you can just get the Epiphone G-400, or the G-400 1966 Reissue.
thought j page played a hollowbody album 1 so yeah hollowbodys fine i hav 1 myself. good if u dont use an amp all the time too as it will sound louder than a solid
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Sorry to hear about the amp, but you should be able to get a used Epiphone LP Standard or something in that pricerange.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
So what makes the quality of an amp anyway, what makes marshalls MG10 so bad? I thought they were like the top of the line name in amps =/
^MG's are just bad. They're the budget brand of marshalls, made in india. They are notoriously unreliable, don't sound that good, and are overpriced because of the name. Marshall's tube amps are good, but solid state Marshall=not good. MG series=bad, everybody.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by shaf_9110
So what makes the quality of an amp anyway, what makes marshalls MG10 so bad? I thought they were like the top of the line name in amps =/

They have other amps but this forum has A LOT of hate for the MG series.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Quote by smellofcanada
I would say buy an agile les paul. From what i've heard there better than alot of the Epi's you find. Get them from www.rondomusic.com.

+10

Edit: id hit that - http://www.rondomusic.com/al2500wht.html

or - http://www.rondomusic.com/product1005.html

or w/ p-90's (YES!) - http://www.rondomusic.com/al-3000csbp90.html

or my fav (what i would get, non-paul) - http://www.rondomusic.com/ps900amberq.html
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Last edited by Oblivian at Apr 1, 2008,