All of the theory I can find about improvising solos talks about playing over chord progressions.
Most of the stuff my band plays is riffs.
If I want to solo over them I can figure something out that fits but often have difficulty improvising because often the riffs do not fit into a scale.

I suppose if all of the notes from the riff were in the Em scale, I could improvise in Em (or some alternatives).

However, often the riff is vaguely in E i.e with a chug on the E but the other notes are not in the scale.

I tend to just play away in Em or E harmonic minor anyway, but is there a better way of doing this?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Play in key...?
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
I improvise based on what sounds good, rather than worry about the theory behind it

My ears won't lie...my logic will
Yeah yeah, all very much help.

There is no such thing as "in key", that's the problem.

And I can play what sounds good but when you're trying to improvise with speed you need some scales to base the improvisation on.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Why must it?

I suppose if you analyse any riff you can find it belongs to some bizarre scale.
But, for example, one riff contains the notes E, Eb, B, D, C#, B.
I don't know of any scale they belong to, unless you say it's Bminor with the Eb as a chromatic passing note (which is probably what I would do for soloing).
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha