im looking for good modern rock-ish songs with fairly easy but cool sounding bass solos.
Ideas?
Perhaps Knights of Cydonia by Muse. The breakdown part I think is really a synth but it could be converted to bass (but you would have to be pretty f'n good.)

Sorry if that's not helpful but at least you get bumped back up to the top of the page!
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Most Red Hot Chili Peppers
Gear
Agile Septor 7
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone G-400
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Peavey Classic 50
^ I wouldn't say most have a bass solo, although the basslines are definantly more complex than most modern rock bands.

A good chilis song is stone cold bush
You got me there Rocker. Technically its just a lot more emphasis on the bass rather than solos but I doubt a bassist would complain about playing it.
Gear
Agile Septor 7
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone G-400
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Peavey Classic 50
The who has some nice bass solos.
Beatles don't really have a lot of solos but some nice bass riffs.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
If you're not hung up absolutely on the consumate bass "solo", you might try Alice in Chain's "Would", or Jane's Addiction "The Mountain Song". Both songs feature a bass solo intro, and feature the bass prominently with very cool riffs.
Without trying to sound like a dick, perhaps there's a reason there's not many songs with bass solos...

Hehe, nah. I agree with Would?, love that bas riff. Lounge Act by Nirvana also has some cool bass in it
If your bassist is good enough - Orion, in other case i'd say For whom the bell Tolls,

both metallica
You like it
For Whom the Bell Tolls is ridiculously easy and bass intro is pretty cool.
hysteria-muse?
probably my favorite bass riff, its distorted too, which is a nice touch

also, calm like a bomb-RATM
has a cool bass intro
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
I'd say to try NIB by Black Sabbath,
not too modern though,
and bass solo isn't too CRAZY,

still a cool pick however.
Metallica :

My Friend of Misery (Intro)
Anaesthesia (The whole song is a bass solo)
The Call Of Ktulu (Has some nice hidden solos)
Orion (Nice bass interludes and a solo)
For Whom The Bell Tolls (Intro)
Damage Inc. (Synthesized bass intro)

Edit : I missed the easy part
Quote by shortyafter
The Who - My Generation

Cool little bass solo in there. Entwistle is amazing.

I second this, very nice bass solo.
signature
Yeah, For Whom the Bell Tolls, or really any Cliff-era Metallica would be good. Hearts on Fire by HammerFall has a bass solo, if you're into Power Metal...
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Peace Sells intro.

Or

Hammer Smashed Face.

It depends on what is your conception of modern rock.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Metallica :

My Friend of Misery (Intro)
Anaesthesia (The whole song is a bass solo)
The Call Of Ktulu (Has some nice hidden solos)
Orion (Nice bass interludes and a solo)
For Whom The Bell Tolls (Intro)
Damage Inc. (Synthesized bass intro)

Edit : I missed the easy part

these are mostly the best you'll find
Bennetts_strat
Registered confuser.

I was going to say For Whom The Bell Tolls and the interlude in Orion but I guess that was suggested pretty quick.. lol

How bout the intro and bass line in Lounge Act by Nirvana? I've always liked that one.
My shredding attracts small birds….

Love
Zelda?
Body Breakdown by DragonForce
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
Body Breakdown by DragonForce

That solo is insane. I'd also agree with FWTBT. Look up live versions on youtube for ideas on improving it.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
That solo is insane. I'd also agree with FWTBT. Look up live versions on youtube for ideas on improving it.

it is insane. thats why i love it. frederic leclercq is a bass legend
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
"U Can't Hold No Groove".

srsly
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by Daggoth
Manowar:

- Mountains
- My spirit lives on
- Thunderpick

good luck (wink)

Um, isnt that Karl Logans guitar solo? I would suggest "Sting of the Bumblee" instead.
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
I'm not sure if you would call it easy, but maxwell murder. I learned it in like a week. And it was like the second song i learned.
easy. sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet emooooooooooooooooooooooooooooootionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Definitely check out Muse, also some of Interpol's songs have great basslines (if you like that knd of music).