Page 1 of 2
Basically, do you prefer the sound of triggered bass drums, or triggerless ones?

I prefer triggers, especially live.
They just... have such a good sound.
I think the sound of bass drums live, when mic'd is too muddy anyway.

Opinions?
Gore AND Core; unite!
Agree. People who say it's cheating need to get their heads out of their arses-at the speed that some of them go at, triggers are basically a must.
Personally, i prefer a well tuned bass drum without triggers. As long as they mic, Eq and Project it Properly then it can sound amazing.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
A properly set up drum is as good as a properly set up trigger. The trigger is just more convinient at live shows.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Ideally, no triggers. I understand the need for triggers in live shows, although still I would accept a few stuff-ups just for a good sound.

But I better not hear any triggers on albums
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
If a trigger has the right sound for the job, then it can be thousands of times better than a well set up drum (eg Spheres Of Madness).

I don't know for a fact that Vitek used triggers on that album, but I'd be amazed if he didn't.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Triggers ftw, I like the tight sound that comes from them.

But I have an electric drum kit at the moment (Yamaha DTXpress IV Special)

So I dont know too much about them.

Plus the force at which you hit the bass drum will stay consistant no matter what you do.
Quote by flyingmarlin
Personally, i prefer a well tuned bass drum without triggers. As long as they mic, Eq and Project it Properly then it can sound amazing.

True... I just prefer triggers, but I agre with you, it CAN sound amazing.
Gore AND Core; unite!
Quote by duncang
If a trigger has the right sound for the job, then it can be thousands of times better than a well set up drum (eg Spheres Of Madness).

I don't know for a fact that Vitek used triggers on that album, but I'd be amazed if he didn't.

I'd say that Vitek was an example of bad use of triggers...

CLICK CLICK...CLICKIDY CLICK...CLICKIDY CLICKIDY CLICKIDY CLICK CLICK...

Plus the force at which you hit the bass drum will stay consistant no matter what you do.

That's not necessarily a good thing...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Last edited by dead-fish at Apr 1, 2008,
I'm not a huge metal lsitener, but I've engineered and mixed a number of local metal bands both in the studio and liveand I've gotta say, live, the triggers are a life saver considering how awful some rooms sound at any frequency below 200-300Hz. They just sit so much easier.

In the studio however, I've found that having a well tuned and miked kick, blended with a killer sample is about as sexy as a metal kick-drum gets.
Quote by dead-fish

I dunno man, I mean sure it's really noticeable but for the music he was playing I think it worked really well. You couldn't try to get away with that drum sound for many other bands, though.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
For me personally, I don't care if a drum is triggered or not as long as it sounds good. BUT in saying that I hate the clicky sound of bad modern triggers, they also take away the element of light and shade that is important in drumming.
Im with Duncang on this one, I think Decapitated's drum sound suits them perfectly, and triggered drums do suit most Technical DM bands. However, this is the only time I like hearing triggered drums on an album, for any other types of metal, I love a natural sounding bass drum. Also live, it helps when there are triggers, for convenience, and for clarity of sound.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Live, I'd much rather hear *CLICK CLICK CLICK* in 16ths at 220 bpm than the equivalent on plain bass drums, as it usually amounts to *indistinguishable rumble*.
Quote by duncang
I dunno man, I mean sure it's really noticeable but for the music he was playing I think it worked really well. You couldn't try to get away with that drum sound for many other bands, though.

Aye, I kinda agree that it worked (tight music requires a tight sound), but I still don't like the sound, and I think that he could have made it work better if he had tried to find a less industrial sound.
Triggers win.

Seriously, if you're going above 160 bpm you're gonna want a good set of triggers so your bass comes out louder on stage and not as

blarfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

(Dave Lombardo example...he is really good, but,his drums come out as a big brumble on stage)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
My drummer claims it to be cheating, except for the double bass, which are a problem get to sound good at high speed if you don't have legs of steel.

Though I personally don't care as long as it sounds good.
I like a low thump with a click mixed in to it. If the drum sounds tight, then I fall in love. If I can hear every individual stroke, I ejaculate. Unfortunately, at very high speeds, triggers become pretty much necessary to make sure that's possible.

I'd hate to miss out on an orgasm.
i fuking love triggers. it really brings out the bass drum that people usually can't really hear live and it's a big shame for us metal fans to be missing on such a fundamental element of metal drumming.
My Gear:

Ibanez RG450LTDBC
Boss GT-8
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Behringer guitar
Behringer V-Tone GM108 Amp
...and my fingers.

Quote by unfathomable_bo
At a Nile gig when some guy shouted "Egypt is gay!"

^^
I for one find the Into Eternity triggers sound terrible, as do Devildriver's (not metal I know) however Dream Theater have the awesomest trigger sound
Quote by Shred Head
I for one find the Into Eternity triggers sound terrible, as do Devildriver's (not metal I know) however Dream Theater have the awesomest trigger sound

Pretty sure Portnoy doesn't use triggers, he just has stupidly expensive kit. He doesn't really go fast enough to warrant it anyway.
xD i didnt even know who it was but when i first saw it.......... *haahahaha awesome XD.... it'd be funnier if that was him :O* anyway :P hm, theres some good arguments *for* triggers being "harder" on that page >.>
I don´t like triggers, they just destroy the good old drum sound.
Gear:
Ibanez RG 350 DX Bk
Squier Bullet Strat
Les Paul Copy
Fender FM 15G
Fender Roc Pro 1000
Digitech RP 50
Arion Distortion
Behringer Hellbabe Wah
From what I've heard of triggers, in Asmegin, they sound like rubbish. They might be using those clicky triggers people are talking about though.
Quote by MHDrunk
Ideally, no triggers. I understand the need for triggers in live shows, although still I would accept a few stuff-ups just for a good sound.

But I better not hear any triggers on albums

This is pretty much what I was going to say.
Quote by dead-fish

I agree with you there, the constant clicking sound almost tainted his otherwise fabulous drumming. I just hate that sound, I can understand how they can be used for live shows, but with a well tuned pair of bass drums and high quality drum mikes, triggers are unnecessary.

The sound of drums without triggers is better, though; I adore Dave Lombardo's drumming, I don't think he uses triggers.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by GuitarHero0715

that's not true, a good set of triggers does messure how hard you hit it.

Triggers are extremely helpful in a live situation, my old band used to use use them mixed with the acoustic sound of the real kit. That gives you the best sound.

Right now we're recording an EP, we use Drumagog (a great cubase plugin) which basically workes like a trigger. Really awesome sound!
I love triggers, both live and on albums. Live I love it because you can really feel the bass alot more, and on albums its great too because it shows up on your car speakers more than a non triggered bass. Plus, each hit comes out even, no matter how fast or slow or how hard or soft he hits the bass drum. That makes for a really even recording. Yes, people can do that without a trigger, but why? All that extra work is pointless and can be spent doing something else

Flamencogod, Im using Drumagog too, its what I use for live shows. I bring a laptop on stage, plug in my drummer's triggers to my computer, and run Drumagog. The only thing that is whacky is the sensitivity, but other than that it works great
I don't really care if bands use them when playing live, as long as it's done right.

Not in the studio though, but I don't listen to a huge amount of stuff that would need them.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I'll prolly get a trigger, provided I have enough $...
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
i perfer non triggered, but im not a fanatic. id much rather have triggers at 250 BPM than non at 150 BPM.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by r04ch
I actually really like the click noise. Am i weird?

+1
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Page 1 of 2