hey pit, this theory came to me the other day that made me think.

constantly on ug forums, and many other music forums, as is expected with a forum, there is always disagreement which leads to 'hating' on a ug user because he likes a certain band, and other than the usual 'so-and-so are an emo band, you're a loser', there is often a comment of 'so-and-so are too mainstream', but what does that argument actually mean. i dont really understand why you wouldnt want you genre of music, or your favourite band to become mainstream, because doesnt that mean that it has become popular and is being recognised widely, why wouldnt you want your band to be successful? and why would stop listening to a band after they became 'mainstream', wouldnt you rather there be a movement in society to your music, because then it would be more acceptable in everyday society, and you would meet a lot more people with the same musical tastes as you. too make it clearer, ill use an example:

in the olden days (before the likes of james brown and such folk) 'black music' was a genre that would be considered an outcast among the other genres of the time, you were looked down upon if you listened to such music, and today, we see the popularity of such music dominating the charts. now lets say that this same transition from 'outcast' to 'mainstream/popular' happened to metal (whichever metal you want), would this never happend because its listeners dont listen to 'mainstream' and in a way, arent listeners stifling there own metal genre though a viscious cycle where as soon a a previously 'metal' band becomes to 'mainstream', which decreases the amount of supporters, and the band disappears...?

just a thought?
Quote by Blackvelvet

That could be the single most logical, helpful response ive ever gotten from UG.
Thank you very much.

Quote by Nor'Easterbass
wow. i don't give these out much, but...an e-cookie to GruntFuttock for being an EPIC good friend and a genius beside. bravo.
Can be applied to things not music-related. Like The Mighty Boosh, amazing show when noone had heard of it, by season 3 everyone knew it and they started slacking off because they knew millions of people would still love them... I prefer Flight of the Conchords anyway
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
I don't know, you can be popular, cultish or critically acclaimed. But do any of them matter if you just enjoy the music? I do take the piss out of music I don't like, but if someone else likes it they shouldn't listen to what I say.
1. Many bands who are recognized by the media seem to alter their sound and 9 out of 10 times, it's for the worst not for the better.

2. Mostly, people associate mainstream with bad because of what's happening now. The mainstream music of today, hip hop and rap, is looked down upon on here for the sole reason that there's no guitar. Also, new hip hop and rap lacks the maturity and lyricism that rap and hip hop used to and should have. Not to mention many people generalize that every rap song is "talking over a sampled beat"

3. Some kids only like "underground" bands. For some reason they don't enjoy other people knowing of their favorite bands.

because then it would be more acceptable in everyday society, and you would meet a lot more people with the same musical tastes as you.

this baffles me too though.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Because everyone on here is an underground heavy metal fellater, and anything that someone else has heard of isn't appealing anymore, because they are teh br00talz
insightful, sure, but nobody's going to read this and go 'actually. . .i am a twat. thank you for showing me the light.'

yes, it makes no sense, people generally suck, move on.
Quote by Its_Rock77
2. Mostly, people associate mainstream with bad because of what's happening now. The mainstream music of today, hip hop and rap, is looked down upon on here for the sole reason that there's no guitar. Also, new hip hop and rap lacks the maturity and lyricism that rap and hip hop used to and should have. Not to mention many people generalize that every rap song is "talking over a sampled beat"

I miss old Dr. Dre
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by rickmeister
Can be applied to things not music-related. Like The Mighty Boosh, amazing show when noone had heard of it, by season 3 everyone knew it and they started slacking off because they knew millions of people would still love them... I prefer Flight of the Conchords anyway

pfft people don't hate it cos it became popular, just because series 3 is the worst thing EVER

but yea i hate little kids liking the booosh, they just don't understand

i remember when i saw them live in 2005, me and my mates were the youngest people there, all uni students and adults
I remember a couple of years ago, before Fall Out Boy actually hit the mainstream, my girlfriend loved them. And then as we all know, they exploded, and that was that.

I think her reasoning was that she couldn't take all the people talking about how great they while hardly knowing more than a single. But the funny thing is when someone would treat her like she only knew that 'Sugar, We're Goin' Down' song, she would become infuriated.

So in this case, it wasn't so much that the music went mainstream, just that the people that eat up only the mainstream acting as if they'd loved them FOB all along were enough to drive her away them. I can't exactly blame her.

Also

Quote by maccas616
i like things i can remember.

wat.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-- Douglas Adams
Quote by Its_Rock77
1. Many bands who are recognized by the media seem to alter their sound and 9 out of 10 times, it's for the worst not for the better.

3. Some kids only like "underground" bands. For some reason they don't enjoy other people knowing of their favorite bands.

this baffles me too though.

Rap never had as much maturity everyone seems to claim it did. It has ALWAYS had people bragging about how cool they were, the women they took home, their drinking and drug using, and disliking authority. That will never change. People who think otherwise are the people who only heard, "**** Tha Police" and never heard songs like, "I Ain't Tha 1." If anything, more modern rap seems to be less about that than it ever has been.. C-Lo, Andre 3000, Lupe Fiasco, Jedi Mind Tricks, etc, etc.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I listen to quite a lot of mainstream music, but I just hate mainstream fans....People who hear one song by a band, and then go and buy the t-shirt.....
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
Quote by maccas616
We have learned an important lesson here today.

Way to take that out of context.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-- Douglas Adams
it is really stupid, if a band i like gets huge success, for example, parkway drive, after horizons every single metro would walk around with a parkway drive shirt, but that doesn't mean i'm going to stop liking them.

the types of people who only listen to something for the fact that it's unknown are ussually the type of people who use it more as an image, and not appreciating the true music.