ok you people,yes i know he uses this and that blah blah but i aint that rich or experienced in the technical side of effects stacks etc and no i havent got the all singing all dacing racks of amps but has ayone found a way to get sort of close to gilmours tone using say boss pedals im just looking for a nice sound so i can play the ol pink floyd you know,after all its pretty damn good.......thanks for your time people
His tone is very good, but it's not anything unusual and a lot of what you're hearing that you like comes more from this playing than his tone.

Some things to get closer...
- good single coils (humbucker can do)
- neck pickup
- not too much gain
- learn to play like him and you'll sound very close to him, this is more important than anything

Learn some solos, perfectly, and in every detail: the way he attacks the strings, the way he'll rake up to a note, the way he does bends, his vibrato, the more common scales he'll use for solos, etc.

I can sound more like gilmour with an ibanez and a marshall (neither of which i really like, btw) than someone that can't play like him but is playing on his exact equipment.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
you can't do it without a fender, we'll start there. Love them or hate them there is no guitar out there that sounds like a strat and the strat is really the core of his tone. After that, a light overdrive and an extremely light phaser and you are getting close. Monkey with the eq till you're in the ball park.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
yup absolutley but the idea here is to get a nice sweet mellow soloing sound that will help..right then
gilmour has alot of tones like name a song where you would wan that tone.
Guitars
Squire Strat
1959 Gibson HummingBird Acoustic
1999 Gibson SongBird Acoustic
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
JH-1 Wah (Jimi Hendrix Sig Wah)
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
Aah, the Gilmour tone... check this site:
www.gilmourish.com

But basically:
- use a Fender Strat (or at leas a guitar with single coils)
- use a clean amp
- obtain distortion by pedals (be careful do not drown in the distortion: the less gain the better)

BTW, if you study carefully his bend and vibrato style, you'll sound like Gilmour even if your tone is very different.
thanks ok classic rock1169 i am tryinf foe a nice sound for the solo from another brick in the wall part 2,any ideas thanks for your time folks
Quote by tommaso.zillio
Aah, the Gilmour tone... check this site:
www.gilmourish.com

But basically:
- use a Fender Strat (or at leas a guitar with single coils)
- use a clean amp
- obtain distortion by pedals (be careful do not drown in the distortion: the less gain the better)

BTW, if you study carefully his bend and vibrato style, you'll sound like Gilmour even if your tone is very different.

+1 on gilmourish.com website. He's got a section on there about the Gilmour budget rig, to get close to his tone without breaking the bank.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
well the gilmourish site is unbelivable...thanks people this thread has just made me believe that there are some real peoplle on this site ......know what i mean
Practice. Gilmour is who I imulate most, i've noticed that he has slight bends and finger trebles/vibratos on almost every note he plays. So even though he may play a 80-90 BPM song, there is a lot of nuance. Keep your ears open, FEEL the music and have fun.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by DSOTM80
+1 on gilmourish.com website. He's got a section on there about the Gilmour budget rig, to get close to his tone without breaking the bank.

Where's the bit about the budget rig? Have you got a link?

EDIT: Never mind, found it!
Last edited by greggybhoy at Apr 2, 2008,
ok got it.click on the features link its in the buyers guide.....phew