Poll: Which should i replace first?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which should i replace first?
Amp: Roland Cube15X
9 53%
Guitar: Epiphone SG Special
8 47%
Voters: 17.
hi guys,

im hearing alot of songs that i want to play that have like a pick scratch/scrape sound in them, and i was wondering how to do that, ive tried my way but i think its wrong plus i have like half a pick left because of the plastic com off.

second question is how do (i dont actually know the name of this technique)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0s27LkpHS8 (around 3:02) like a slide thing with fast strumming.

and finally i was thinking of either getting a new guitar or amp. i have an Epi SG special (yeah not that great...) and a Roland Cube15X (also not that great...) which one should i replace first? any suggestions?

thanks in advanced guys.
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
Scrape the side of your pick moving down from the bridge to the nut. It's really simple and you can probably find even just some music videos with people doing it.

And replace your amp first.
people are probably all going to say amp first, but no, guitar first. the cube will serve you fine for practice.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
on which strings? im assuming the lower (E & A) strings. do i need to hold a chord or does that have nothing to do with the sound?

lol I'll add a poll for the guitar or amp first.
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

~Napoleon Bonaparte
yeah you scrape your pick on the lower strings (E & A); you wouldn't really hold a chord, but muting all the strings is recommended.

and for your second technique, a power slide i believe it's called...

(....cbf youtubing your link, but if it's the same technique used in Knights of Cydonia at 0:47...)

...start up high, around 18th-20th fret on low E string, start alternate picking very fast (tremolo picking) and slide down while picking.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
yeah you scrape your pick on the lower strings (E & A); you wouldn't really hold a chord, but muting all the strings is recommended.

and for your second technique, a power slide i believe it's called...

(....cbf youtubing your link, but if it's the same technique used in Knights of Cydonia at 0:47...)

...start up high, around 18th-20th fret on low E string, start alternate picking very fast (tremolo picking) and slide down while picking.

thanks, but the second question, the slide was from the nut to the end of the neck, and he was holding an Am chord i think..

~Napoleon Bonaparte
You're in no need to change to some super high-end amp. I always believe in a new guitar first, because you'll bust your ass working on your technique instead of your "tone"..
Quote by HandsomeFrank
You're in no need to change to some super high-end amp. I always believe in a new guitar first, because you'll bust your ass working on your technique instead of your "tone"..

yea actually thats a good point the only downside is that ill have to save up more if im to replace the guitar.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
well there you go; hold a chord, strum the fretted strings really quickly, and slide the chord shape up while strumming.

yes i know ive tried but it just doesnt sound right. like really wrong. i was hoping someone could steer me in the correct direction.

~Napoleon Bonaparte