I just started on electric guitar. I am now trying to learn chords. After that what should I do?
How did you guys learn how to play guitar? In what sequence did you progress.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
hmm...I maby did it in opposite was as I should...
I started with songs like Sweet child o' mine and finished now with blink 182
But I play punk rock cuz of my band...
and I have only 21 frets and bad amp..
so...gonna learn more solos later...
so...IDK..learn some easy songs ...depends on the style you like...there are almost no easy songs if you like metal(wich I doubt cuz you got a Kobe Bryant quote) and if you like punk rock you can learn almost all of them
try songs with some basic power chords or maby ryhtm guitar if you like hard rock(ac/dc has pretty good 2nd guitar )
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Learn some simple stuff, like Nirvana and Green Day [Even if you don't like them it can be a good starting base for power chords]. Master open chords and barre chords, and be able to change between chords quickly, without having to think about it.

Learn some classic rock riffs, for example Black Night by Deep Purple, Black Dog by Led Zeppelin and such.

Learn the minor and major pentatonic scale. It's a good starting bass in guitar, AC/DC use it all the time, as does Slash.
learn your chords then learn a few songs using them and see how they are applied, then learn a scale or 2 and learn some songs using them to see how they are applied, repeat
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Kozlic
...depends on the style you like...there are almost no easy songs if you like metal(wich I doubt cuz you got a Kobe Bryant quote)

Huh??

Stereotyping FTL.

I LOVE metal, and if you saw me...well, lets just say you would be surprised. Whats a quote from Kobe got to do with anything??

For the thread starter: What do you want to accomplish on the guitar? Just be able to play a few tunes and learn a popular song or two? Or really learn the instument and different play styles and genres?

If its the former, just learn how to read tab, then practice.

If its the latter, get some starter books and actual lessons if possible. Learn theory etc.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Huh??

Stereotyping FTL.

I LOVE metal, and if you saw me...well, lets just say you would be surprised. Whats a quote from Kobe got to do with anything??

For the thread starter: What do you want to accomplish on the guitar? Just be able to play a few tunes and learn a popular song or two? Or really learn the instument and different play styles and genres?

If its the former, just learn how to read tab, then practice.

If its the latter, get some starter books and actual lessons if possible. Learn theory etc.

Lols. I don't really know any great books that serve as lessons for electric guitar. There are tons of books for acoustic but none for the electric. So I'm pretty confused.
I want to achieve the latter, so can anyone recommend a good site or book to learn the electric guitar?
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
You could take a look at "How to play guitar - electric and acoustic". Covers the basics of playing guitar, and a few styles. Has taught me lots.

The ISBN number is: 0-87930-661-0
Quote by bb4II3r
Lols. I don't really know any great books that serve as lessons for electric guitar. There are tons of books for acoustic but none for the electric.

Most beginner books assume you have an acoustic because it is generally the cheaper option. But the basics, scales, chords, etc. apply to both. If by "lessons for electric guitar" you mean rock/metal/blues/jazz music there are thousands of books like that.