So are plug ins better than rack affects?
Or are they just about the same when it comes to recording?
Quote by Red_October404
So are plug ins better than rack affects?
Or are they just about the same when it comes to recording?

If you are going to get rack FX under $500 each...stick with plugins and mix "in the box"
Actually its almost always better to use the plugins since rack FX are for an analog setup and cant be changed once you lay them down in the record...

http://www.tweakheadz.com/effects_for_recording_studios.html

see "What, Effects without Plugins?"

cheaper plugins have cheap ADA converters and so they will harm your sound by simply running the audio though these hardware FX...
Although you can easily stack and rearrange plugins unlike their rack effect counterparts (unless you are great with a patch bay) keep in mind that they are limited by both your sound card and your processor...so before you try Wave's IR-1 reverb, you may want to check if you can handle it or need to purchase DSP gear (can be rack mount boxes or PCI/PCI-e cards) specifically designed to handle it.
If you were to use a lot of plug-ins and vsts, what would be the recommended RAM etc.?

I've only got 1gb and my PC struggles sometimes, so would it be worth upgrading to say 3gb until I get a new pc in a few months time?
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

General rule of thumb in todays computing world. You can never have too much RAM. I've got 2Gb in both of my systems (desktop and laptop) and I've hit the limit several times. VSTs eat RAM, so if you're a plugin *****, be warned.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Aight, I'll go to 3GB probably then, I'm a bit of a VST whore.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Hardware is always better than software.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
They have some new rack gear that has usb so you can use the effects on it and process plugins on it so you can save some cpu ram.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by Muphin
Hardware is always better than software.

And so the analogue champion announces his presence

Seriously though, you might find a lot of hardware effects do sound better, but they come a lot more expensive for any decent gear. With the amount of plugins around nowadays, you can get some ok sounding ones for free, and if you don't mind spending some money you can get great sounding effects. Like others have said though, it's important to consider what you think your computer will be able to handle, some are shockingly CPU hungry.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
And so the analogue champion announces his presence

I'm glad to see I have a reputation.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
How could you not?! On every thread there is a reply by you telling someone to get a tape machine I particularly liked the sly comment about how your tape machine doesn't care what OS you have....
There is poetry in despair.
Well its subjective I guess, you can get good and bad of either. However, I would guess that software effects give you more "bang for you buck", as you don't have to buy anything physical, and there are loads of free ones.

Also if your running a PC type system, you either have to put the FX in before it just before it goes into your interface, which means you can't change it afterwards, or you'll have to find a way of routing it out which could be tricky with an interface. If you have a hardware recording system though, rack FX are the only way to go.