Page 1 of 3
I was wondering how many people on this site play an orchestral classical stringed instrument. I've been playing violin for over 10 years myself. I've got a $7000 German made violin and it's ****ing amazing for the price. Bow is $800 from the Meinig workshop in Pennsylvania. I'm currently learning Ziguenerweisen, by Pablo Sarasate. It's the most fun piece I've had in a long time (I liked Mendelssohn, but I needed to get away). In case you don't know what Ziguenerweisen is, it's to violin as Through Fire and Flames by Dragonforce is to guitar. But far better.

So, fellow muscians, step forward. What kind of instrument do you play? What piece are you working on?
Jean Luc Ponty used to be a god. That's really all I can contribute.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Third movement is amazing. First movement is a bitch to get in tune. Second movement is beautiful. Third movement moves like lightning. I need to get my artificial harmonics and left hand pizz up to speed and clear, so I can perform in the state competition. If I win, I get $3000 and a chance to play with the Richmond Symphony. Woot.
Sarasate in general is pretty fun to play, have you ever tried Navarra? It's a duet, and, although I hate the piece with a passion, it's fun to play. I'm playing a similar piece to Ziguenerweisen at the moment, Tzigane by Ravel. It's not so similar stylistically, but has similar roots. I'm also playing Poeme by Chausson, it's a great piece, and a bit of a challenge.
I played cello until very recently, I've now lost interest and haven't really got the time to do it any more. I'd been playing about 10 years.
Quote by Parabellum
Bow is $800 from the Meinig workshop in Pennsylvania

And I thought 50p for a pick was expensive
Quote by National_Anthem
Sarasate in general is pretty fun to play, have you ever tried Navarra? It's a duet, and, although I hate the piece with a passion, it's fun to play. I'm playing a similar piece to Ziguenerweisen at the moment, Tzigane by Ravel. It's not so similar stylistically, but has similar roots. I'm also playing Poeme by Chausson, it's a great piece, and a bit of a challenge.

I'm going to tackle Tzigane after Ziguenerweisen. I love that piece. I played Chausson's Poeme before. The double stop passage with all the thirds is hell to go through to keep in tune. But I played it for a competition and won $600 with it.
Quote by Parabellum

I'm going to tackle Tzigane after Ziguenerweisen. I love that piece. I played Chausson's Poeme before. The double stop passage with all the thirds is hell to go through to keep in tune. But I played it for a competition and won $600 with it.

Tzigane is fun, you really have to make sure that your technique is 100% relaxed, though, otherwise there's several areas in the piece where you might just end up seizing up. I find the fingered octave passage trickier in the Chausson, they always end up as fingered major 7th and a halfs.
I've played cello for about 9 years, but I've never taken private lessons which I wish I had. I'm working on Bachs 5th cello suite.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Lol, my bad. I never notice the bassists in the back of the orchestra. Never really hear them either. They just skulk and cut their wrists.
Quote by Parabellum
Lol, my bad. I never notice the bassists in the back of the orchestra. Never really hear them either. They just skulk and cut their wrists.

I don't do either of those things. The bass holds the orchestra together.
<Han> I love Hitler
I wish I did... I'm writing a piece for piano and cello though. Anybody wanna play it? It's fairly easy so far.+
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
We should make an online post-rock band

..pretty please?
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
Ive thought about picking up the violin, but I'm still a little undecided.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
I just started learning violin 2 weeks ago, its pretty easy. well, twinkle twinkle little star is...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Sarasate is pretty intense.

I've been playing violin for about 8 years. Unfortunately, I didn't develop real enthusiasm for violin and classical music until two years ago. I really regret taking the violin seriously so late and I really could be a lot better right now. Oh well, it doesn't stop me from enjoying playing.

My repertoire consists largely of Bach's partitas and sonatas for solo violin and Mozart's violin concertos. Lately, I've been working on Bruch's Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor and Paganini's 11th caprice. I'm going to record Bach's Chaconne in D minor soon.

For all colleges that I've applied to except Berklee, I put violin as my principle instrument in the music program (I'm gonna be a composition major).

I play a violin made by my teacher, so I got it for really cheap ($800) but the tone is excellent. My bow is a $300 Brazilian wood bow.

My favorite players: Itzak Perlman, Jascha Heifetz, Nathan Milstein, Hilary Hahn, Henry Szeryng, Isaac Stern, Kyung Wha Chung.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 1, 2008,
I can play Viola, although not very well. My mate is a beast on the Cello though

I can also fake my way through the Flute and clarinet
Any recommendations for strings? I'm using Larsen Silver G and D, Larsen steel A and thomastik spirocore E. I'm generally happy with that set up, the G and D sound great IMO, the A projects well, but sounds a little harsh, and metallic (fairly obviously) some times. The E string I use has a great tone and never whistles, but doesn't project like Larsen E strings. I'm looking a good balance of rich harmonics, warm and brilliant (as in bright) tones, any ideas? I'm open to suggestions, preferably synthetic strings, but I'm willing to try wound gut. TIA
Quote by National_Anthem
Any recommendations for strings? I'm using Larsen Silver G and D, Larsen steel A and thomastik spirocore E. I'm generally happy with that set up, the G and D sound great IMO, the A projects well, but sounds a little harsh, and metallic (fairly obviously) some times. The E string I use has a great tone and never whistles, but doesn't project like Larsen E strings. I'm looking a good balance of rich harmonics, warm and brilliant (as in bright) tones, any ideas? I'm open to suggestions, preferably synthetic strings, but I'm willing to try wound gut. TIA
I use these.

TS, thank you for including violists. We never get any love.
I don't play it, but dear god I really, really, really, really, REALLY, want to learn Chello. Oh man. You have no idea.
I'm a violist, and have been for a good nine years. Currently, I'm working on a transcription of Kreisler's Praeludium and Allegro, as well as Bach's second cello suite in Dmin. I'd very much like to learn Bloch's Suite Hebraique, though unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a copy.

I desperately wish that there were more repertoire composed for my beautiful, yet under appreciated, instrument, so that I wouldn't have to look to transcriptions of violin music whenever I'm looking to play something challenging... viola repertoire is almost invariably dull.

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
Quote by Flying Couch
I use these.

TS, thank you for including violists. We never get any love.

IMO, violists are violinists and violinists are violists. You play one, you play the other. Simple as that. The differences are quite minimal, it just takes a bit of getting used to to play viola if you play violin, or violin if you play viola. The difference in stopping distance is actually less than the difference between first position and fifth position on violin, for example.

And I don't want to sound snobbish, but I was looking for slightly higher quality strings than that, I'm willing to pay £30-45 for a set, and if I go with gut strings, I'll probably have to pay more.
Quote by Red.Washburn77
I'm a violist, and have been for a good nine years. Currently, I'm working on a transcription of Kreisler's Praeludium and Allegro, as well as Bach's second cello suite in Dmin. I'd very much like to learn Bloch's Suite Hebraique, though unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a copy.

I desperately wish that there were more repertoire composed for my beautiful, yet under appreciated, instrument, so that I wouldn't have to look to transcriptions of violin music whenever I'm looking to play something challenging... viola repertoire is almost invariably dull.

--Red

Shostakovich Viola sonata is wonderful, give it a listen, you might like it. I love playing viola in my string quartet, I actually prefer it to playing violin in chamber music. I'd enjoy playing solo just as much as violin if the repertoire was more extensive.
I've been playing cello for about three years. I think I suck at it, but apparently I'm good enough to make it into the Chamber orchestra at my high school.
Page 1 of 3