Ok, here is the problem. I've just got my bass, a first (American P, S-1 etc...), and can play with a pick fine, but my fingers, i'm frankly, terrible...

Could you guys recommend me any decent songs which will help my fingers. Maiden is too hard for me, and doesn't sound right with a pick.

Thanks for your help.
First, welcome to the bass world.

I recommend you Nirvana songs. Those are simple to play and not too fast for a beginner. I play bass for about 10 months now, and I played Nirvana songs to help me. You can also try some Pink Floyd, like Money, which is simple and helpful for your fingerstyle, even if Roger Waters use to play with a pick.

Hope I helped you. If I think about something else, I'll post it for you.
What bands or genre do you mostly play?
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
AC/DC.....enough said!!
"If I was any cooler I'd be froze">>>Me

Epiphone Les Paul Custom,
Yamaha: FG-405
Yamaha: FX370C TBS
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz & Fretless Jazz
Vox AD30VT
Traynor DynaBass 200T
Hohner Button Accordian
Digitech RP350
Genres:Rock/Punk/Punk Rock/Some metal
Bands: Blink 182 (easy enough lol), Green Day, Iron Maiden etc.

That sort of shows why I use a pick more often than fingers
You just bought an American S-1 switching P-bass?

Hmm decent songs- I recommend some Metallica such as For Whom The Bell Tolls and any other songs that you like. Alternatively, use a metronome- start off slowly and alternate your fingers and work your way up through the tempos. That way, you'll see improvements with your fingers over the next week or so if you keep at it.
signature
If you're learning technique, don't learn new songs at the same time - incorporate it into something you already know.
Quote by Bullet-Rule
You just bought an American S-1 switching P-bass?

Yup, only £675 , a bit of a bargain. I'm not sure if the new Americans have the S-1 in them, but it is good to have. More versatility imo. I could have got a JBass (S-1 etc) but opted for the P.
I'll try a few like Carousel and Longview slower than usual.

It's just 'walking' the fingers isn't it? None of this Steve Harris galloping buisness (it seems way too hard atm)?
Quote by .Anfield
Yup, only £675 , a bit of a bargain. I'm not sure if the new Americans have the S-1 in them, but it is good to have. More versatility imo. I could have got a JBass (S-1 etc) but opted for the P.
I'll try a few like Carousel and Longview slower than usual.

It's just 'walking' the fingers isn't it? None of this Steve Harris galloping buisness (it seems way too hard atm)?

I got the J-bass model, amazing basses, and the J-bass S-1 switch makes it sound like a P-bass, so i'm confused as to what it does with yours...
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Jonn0
I got the J-bass model, amazing basses, and the J-bass S-1 switch makes it sound like a P-bass, so i'm confused as to what it does with yours...

Makes a P sound like a J. I hope
Yeh, id go with learn all your greenday and blink songs fingerstyle, theyr a good level to begin learning a new technique at. Once youve got them down, perhaps move on to some Muse tracks? bit harder than Greenday, but not excessively so. I found them really good for learning from, and you can work up from simple ones like Starlight and Supermassive Black Hole to faster ones such as Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome or New Born
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Quote by .Anfield
Makes a P sound like a J. I hope

ok, well unpressed, will it give the normal sound? when pressed does it give an even fatter sound than normal or what?
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
There are slower tempo Iron Maiden songs that can help build finger-style technique. I always had my students work on one or more Maiden songs (back when they weren't considered cool). 'Stranger in a Strange Land' or 'Running Free' were ones I'd get beginners to work on. 'Revelations' is another easier one.
I'd recommend working on slower songs that you already can play with a pick. That way your left hand already knows it's job and you can focus on the right. Also, you can hear the tone difference between the two techniques. I've always used the technique that I feel best suits the song - whether it's slapping, picking, or plucking.
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica (learn the whole thing)

Money - Pink Floyd

The Pot - Tool (Really just concerned with the main riffs)
On that one, start off slow til you can build up your speed.
That's a song to really teach you to change speeds mid-riff, and it will also teach you a little bit about muting with a combination of both hands (You REALLY need the mutes to shine through if you want it to even sound right)

Longview - Green Day
It's just a fun one/not bad for beginning finger technique/can teach you to play one string and delicately lay an overtone down with another one.

-----------------

That's what I got right now.

As far as actual advice, I'd say just don't be afraid of a song cause it sounds hard.

If it is actually hard, it'll just take you a little longer to master, don't let anything discourage you/don't dumb yourself down to root notes ac/dc-style if it's not what you want to play.

secondly, do everything right until your fingers are strong enough to break the rules. Anchor your thumb on a pickup/string, alternate fingers(start with your middle finger too, trust me).

After a couple months of learning songs you like/writing basslines you'll start to realize your fingers are getting really strong and you'll have the torque/feel to be able to break any rule you want and still play well.

just remembered something else: I will sound like a hypocrit cause I just told you to avoid this but sit there with your bass with the amp turned down low and play a single note on a single string as fast as you can while still playing cleanly.

Do that with all the strings in many fret positions because different frets on different strings have different tendencies/nuances/sensetivities you need to get subconciously used to.

lastly, play with other ppl to take your mind off your fingers and put it on the music. Your fingers will benefit.