When I strum chords or downpick, my thumb is straight, but when I alternate pick, I tend to bend my thumb a little bit to get a better angle on my pick attack. Do any of you guys do this?

The reason I ask is because I've recently discovered that transitioning from quick strumming/downstroking to alternate picking requires me to bend/unbend my thumb and seems to make my technique less solid overall. I would think that I'd be in a better position if I could do both with a relaxed straight thumb so that I didn't have to switch back and forth.

1. Do any of you know what I'm talking about?

2. Should I try to get comfortable with alternate picking strings at a slight less angle? Or keep the same angle but merely unbend my thumb and raise my shoulder or something? Or maybe strum/downpick with a bent thumb also?

3. Any general advice overall?
i play similarly, and, if it works for you, don't feel that you need to change too much. If the transition from strum to alternate makes you uncomfortable, just practice, and it will get better
Yeah I know what you are talking about. I tend to keep my thumb bent half cocked while strumming so that I can make the pick flat if I need to (rarely do though). As a general rule I always attack the strings at angle whether strumming or shredding.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
LOL

i do the same thing, and had the same worries. then one day I woke up and was like WTF who the hell cares.

if I play well the way I am comfortable, then why am I worrying about it.

I give you the same advice. Not to mention, I have since been seeing a lot of professional guitarists doing the same thing

so if you like to do what the pros do, some of them do it too.

I only say that because at one point I noticed Paul gilbert holds it differently than us, more of a pinch hold, and I wanted to emulate him.

Got over it. I can still play his songs the way I do it, so no big,.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
It's kinda natural to angle the pick differently depending on the technique used. If this is causing you some trouble, spend 5 minutes a day doing only angle changes, i.e.: strum a chord, pick a note, strum a chord, pick a note, etc... Start slowly (VERY slowly) and use a metronome. Let your hand familiarize with the angle change before you raise the tempo. Be sure to be as much relaxed as possible. After a month of this you won't even notice you're changing pick angle.
I'm pretty positive that's actually a good technique.

Paul Gilbert has done a video lesson on angling the pick and he explained pretty much what you are doing right now.
yea i do that too. im finding that i tend to do circle picking as well. which is wierd because i never focused on that or anything. it just kind happened like that. but im always changing the angle of my pick to either make it easier to play something or to change the tone. i dont think this is anything bad and im pretty sure its a good thing.
Quote by zombie_monster

Paul Gilbert has done a video lesson on angling the pick and he explained pretty much what you are doing right now.

The thing is that PG angles his thumb to change the sound of his playing. The only reason I am angling my thumb is because it makes it easier to play. He could play without angling his thumb, but he does it for dynamic purposes. The fact that I can't play without angling my thumb just makes me think I am limiting myself.

Comments? Suggestions?
Quote by fixationdarknes
The thing is that PG angles his thumb to change the sound of his playing. The only reason I am angling my thumb is because it makes it easier to play. He could play without angling his thumb, but he does it for dynamic purposes. The fact that I can't play without angling my thumb just makes me think I am limiting myself.

Comments? Suggestions?

that might just be something that may adjust over time. i used pick at one angle only but over time as i played more i just seemed to move the pick more to change the tone. when i play faster runs i usually angle the pick and most people do actually. its not really a bad thing. too much of an angle isnt good though. that may actually slow you down. but a slight angle, like no more than 45 degrees is pretty normal and useful.