I have been in the market for a new amp head and have found a used Mesa Dual rectifier head for about $1200. I also have been looking at a new Peavey 6505+ head for about the same price.

Which would be the better buy? I play a variety of styles from blues to death metal so I would like some versatility with the amp.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be apperciated.

Chris
Quote by raider1
I have been in the market for a new amp head and have found a used Mesa Dual rectifier head for about $1200. I also have been looking at a new Peavey 6505+ head for about the same price.

Which would be the better buy? I play a variety of styles from blues to death metal so I would like some versatility with the amp.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be apperciated.

Chris

Dual Recto, especially for that price. Keep in mind though, that neither one of those amps is known for their cleans.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
why get the 6505+ new? the whole reason i would consider the peavey over the mesa is because i can find it for ~60% the price of the mesa. $1200 for the used dual rec is just an ok price too.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
I prefer the 6505, I've just never liked the Dual Recs I've played through.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Ive always had better luck with 5150s than dual rectos. Hell, I liked my xxx better than a dual rectumfrier.

However, I have heard some sweet sounds coming out of boosted rectos.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
if you want cleans and a lighter overdrive in addition to high gain the Mesa would be better. the 6505+ does high gain really well and that's it, it's cleans are ok but suck compared to the rectos.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Dyers
Wow I Was Just Gonna Post Up Whether To Get A 6505 Or A Dual Recto

Great minds think alike.

Thanks for all the great comments.

Chris
I haven't had the opportunity to play a recto, but I know that despite all the knocking it gets, the cleans on the rhythm channel on my 6505 sounds quite good with a split humbucker (or single-coil) and a bit of reverb, delay and such, and it breaks up really easily into a bluesy overdrive when add a little bit of gain.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows