I was thinking, that since songs are just applied theory, a computer that knows all this theory, should also be able to write songs.

The only problem is that a computer would not be able to decide what "sounds nice". A way to solve this would be to have let it create a lot of songs and make the user decide what sounds nice. If the user gives feedback on wether something sounds nice, the computer could perhaps even make a database keeping track of what you like.
This way you could even simulatte a guitarist's playing style. For example you could make a Kirk Hammett database with his preferences, some of his licks etc. Using this you could then creates a Kirkish song.

Since I have some programming skills I was thinking of giving it a try, but I don't really want to record all notes on a guitar, so I'll probably make it so that it exports a tab so that you have to play it yourself or import it into a program like guitar pro.

Any feedback or comments are welcome.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
It's a pretty cool idea and I'd love to fool around with it, but I'm not sure what to expect of it.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
assuming u can actually get it running up to the full extent of ur idea u could sell it to the record companies adn then they could literally just churn out single after single

but i dunno how well it really would work, as emotion is a massive basis for music, it might make nice ditties but coudl it ever relaly make soemthing heart wrenching or uplifting...

interesting to see what happens tho
it could very well make something uplifting given enough data, and with the proper programming. Although, AI is extremely complex. This sounds like something a programming team might be able to do over a couple of years, but for one person this would be massive.
Father ov Terror!
Abu ol-Hol
enter the pylon
thru' the galleys ov past
catacombs ov night
into the starry womb

www.belphegor.at
You will need pretty advanced artificial intelligence to do this. I'm sure things like this already exist at universities.
For example:
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18307811
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Gnomestar
assuming u can actually get it running up to the full extent of ur idea u could sell it to the record companies adn then they could literally just churn out single after single

but i dunno how well it really would work, as emotion is a massive basis for music, it might make nice ditties but coudl it ever relaly make soemthing heart wrenching or uplifting...

interesting to see what happens tho

It'd be erroneous - Record companies already have American Idol to do that.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
It'd be erroneous - Record companies already have American Idol to do that.

yeh but what writes the bland commrecial music they sing after the show finishes

a computer
interesting idea.

I wouldn't count completely on a computer to make songs though, but you should definately give it a try.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by Gnomestar
yeh but what writes the bland commrecial music they sing after the show finishes

a computer

Nah, they have a committee of washed up, obese one-hit wonders from the late 70s and 80s to write the music. Like Meatloaf.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
that would take an assload of processing power methinks. Also you don't need to record all of the notes, just use a guitarish sounding synth, and export to tab, hell even just creating a MIDI file would be ok.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
in c (language) u can make system beeps of all the notes then mabye a for loop for the lenght. would be terribly hard.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Thanks for all your feedback, I think it will be difficult but it's surely worth a try. And I don't think I'll need a whole team of programmers. So, I'll try and keep you updated, but I think the project would take a while to complete.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4