Hey guys,

I need a new guitar, and i need your help.

I want to be able to play stuff like Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Divine Heresy, Job For a Cowboy, Bring Me The Horizon.

I want a fixed bridge as i have been told floyd roses' are a pain to sort out when removing strings/ tuning.

My Budget is up to £400/$800.

I like the sound of EMGs and im not looking for a "V"

Thanks

-Ryan
razorbacks are supposed to be the "Ultimate" metal guitar.......i don't know how much they cost off hand though. what about an explorer? Check out the ESP lineup, thats what kirk hammet plays, and he sounds awfully metal.
Jackson DKMGT is a good choice, great neck for the shredding stuff and has EMGs like you want. Try a Schecter Hellraiser as well or look at ESPs.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
ESP EC 1000 with active EMGs
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
It's almost better to look for a guitar you like the feel of in the 5-600 range and then add the EMGs (if you want them) later.
EMGs tend to mask the natural sound of the guitar a little, so find a guitar that feels good and the EMGs will bring the sound to where you want it, as long as it's not some plywood piece of crap and you have a decent amp.

What sort of amp do you have?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
The DKMGT is great for metal.

Some Schecters are pretty good too.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
look at ESP/ltds.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
save another 50-100 and get a schecter c1 hellraiser amazing guitar
i play exactly the bands youve listed and it plays them perfectly
ummm yea **** ibanez my friend plays that kind of "music" with one i tell him he looks like an ass
maybe a dean like razer back or the dime bag guitar
but yea or get an explorer they own! i have one i play like metallica stuff tho
and james plays the explorer not kirk he uses a R.R. V alot and a les paul some times and somethin else kinda fendery looking

For Memories I'll Forget Tomorrow
What u need is Somehing by B.C Rich my friend, they are within your price range and are the ultimate in metal/tribal styles in terms of appearance, their most notible is the Warlock, easy to use and the same 1 i use

Warlock:

but seriously chek out www.bcrich.com
there is a load of guitars like this!!!!!!!!!
dosent get any more metal than this
Last edited by wasey_khan at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by wasey_khan
What u need is Somehing by B.C Rich my friend, they are within your price range and are the ultimate in metal/tribal styles in terms of appearance, their most notible is the Warlock, easy to use and the same 1 i use

Budget BC Rich guitars are among the absolute worst in the price range. Now, their expensive to mid-range price guitars are very good, but DO NOT buy a BC Rich below the $700 range.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
I'm guessing dozens of posts, dozens of varying answers. Well, relatively varying answers, you'll get the same crop of guitars.

My advice would be to get to a local dealer, find some stuff that looks like what you want to sling (I mean, it's not all about the looks, but lets be honest here, there are plenty guitars out there that play awesome but I just dont think I'd like to have hanging around my shoulders), and start plugging in to amps and effects for metal sound and see what sounds like the metal guitar you hear in your head.
Quote by MurderWorship
Budget BC Rich guitars are among the absolute worst in the price range. Now, their expensive to mid-range price guitars are very good, but DO NOT buy a BC Rich below the $700 range.

actually, the ones under 300pounds(pound key wont work..)are crap, between 300 - 600 are average and over that are really good

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by wasey_khan

Warlock:

but seriously chek out www.bcrich.com
there is a load of guitars like this!!!!!!!!!
dosent get any more metal than this

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. B.C. Rich are the most worthless guitars out there. Just because they "look" metal, doesn't mean they are. They sound, and play, like Shit.
Oh. My. God.

B.C. Rich guitars are actually making a good come back at the moment, with a brand new 2008 catalogue with excellent guitars lined up (Gunslinger Retro anyone?). Most people who are prejudice against B.C. Rich base it on the Bronze series which is indeed, very ****. But models upwards are meant to be pretty good, the one I tried was half decent.

Anyway TS...

Check out...

- Washburn X50PROFE. The picture on gak.co.uk does NOT do the guitar justice at all, check google for must sexier GAS tastic pics.

- Jackson DKMGT. It is a tad over budget but you can pick up a blem one on gak.co.uk for £380.

- Epiphone Prophecy SG. These guitars just came out recently and look amazing for specs. Similar to what LTD do actually. If you get one, review review review!
Quote by Zero_Mike
The DKMGT is great for metal.

Some Schecters are pretty good too.

+1
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Floyd roses are not that much of a hassle a few months with it and u'll change strings like a pro with it just try a jackson kelly it's worked for me and I can get alot out of it and try to get a floyd rose cause they're not that difficult
I would get a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.. probably your best bet within your price range (if you want EMGs). I've played the cheaper Jackson guitars and they're not that great.

If you're willing to get a used guitar, go for a top of the line LTD model from ESP. They usually range $1100 but used they can be had for less. I bought a MINT ESP (not LTD) Eclipse II for $900.

BC Rich is total garbage, unless you're paying double your budget.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Quote by MangledPhox
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. B.C. Rich are the most worthless guitars out there. Just because they "look" metal, doesn't mean they are. They sound, and play, like Shit.
Exactly what i was thinking i personaly think they look like **** too The hellraisers have a floyd rose havn't they and he said he wants a fixed bridge. Anyways i'd personaly go for a ESP from what you want they have EMG's usuly and have some decent fixed bridge guitars. I'm thinking explorer.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
You can get a standard C-1 Hellraiser, not the Hellraiser FR (Floyd rose). Those come with normal tune-o-matic bridge.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Quote by noodlegts
You can get a standard C-1 Hellraiser, not the Hellraiser FR (Floyd rose). Those come with normal tune-o-matic bridge.

Oh **** yeah i'd go for the hellraiser then didn't know you could get standard
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
Ibanez or ESP.
I really don't see what all the fuss is about BC Rich
I think they suck.

But if you're looking to play some sick metal core
Ibanez- S520EX
ESP- EC-500 and/or Viper-400
Get the cheapest guitar you can find.
Nothing is more metal than knowing that a child in a third world country was overworked and underpayed when they made your guitar.

Seriously though, look at Ibanez. I have an RG5EX1 (I know, Edge 3 sucks, save it). I played quite a few other brands, but just couldn't find a neck as comfortable to me as the Ibanez.
Quote by jimmyhotpants
certainly NOT an Ibanez

And why the hell not?!
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah