Page 1 of 2
I honestly thought those 3 guitars were Gibson's April Fools' joke
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
the epiphone ones have been out for ages here

waaaayyyyy overpriced too
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I can just imagine the hundreds of people queing up around the corner, ready for 5pm.

Then again ...
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the epiphone ones have been out for ages here

waaaayyyyy overpriced too

over 1,400 for an Epi..... thats crazy
Over here in the UK the Epiphones are going for roughly 1200 dollars at current exchange rate without a case. And yet they are selling out in some places.
Which is just silly, considering you can get a stanrd & the pickups for about £360 (plus 40 or so for a fitting & we're looking at 400)
The rig:
Newcastle United
I actually saw Epiphone Standards for less than 250 quid. So really you are literally paying double dosh for the name on the headstock. Long neck tenon and SD Alnico Pro II don't amount to another 300.
And I'm wondering why they don't include a hardcase like the US? Bizarre.

Sticking with my Gibson.
Can't say I'm fussed. With both the Gibson and Epi models, you can get the Standard of each brand and put the pickups in yourself for far less than the signature model costs. in the case of the Gibson you can have the power bridge, pickups and custom wiring all done to a Standard for less total cost than the Slash signature costs.

I don't normally mind signature models - I've got a couple myself (Joe Perry {Epi} and Richie Sambora {Fender, Kramer, ESP on pre-order}). But the Slash signatures really are the most pointlessly overpriced guitars around. There is nothing unique about them and you can make them yourself for not much more than half the price of the actual Signature. So what's the point?
Certainly not.
A. I don't have money
B. I'd rather buy a guitar which is not made expensive by the signature but rather by it's qualities
C. The Slash inspired one for 5 grand. I mean WTF that guitar (if it's made along the old specifications) didn't cost that much to start with. I doubt Gibson would give a 5 grand guitar to Slash as a gift back then....
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by bokuho
Can't say I'm fussed. With both the Gibson and Epi models, you can get the Standard of each brand and put the pickups in yourself for far less than the signature model costs. in the case of the Gibson you can have the power bridge, pickups and custom wiring all done to a Standard for less total cost than the Slash signature costs.

I don't normally mind signature models - I've got a couple myself (Joe Perry {Epi} and Richie Sambora {Fender, Kramer, ESP on pre-order}). But the Slash signatures really are the most pointlessly overpriced guitars around. There is nothing unique about them and you can make them yourself for not much more than half the price of the actual Signature. So what's the point?

I can't say normal Gibson SG or LP Standards have really impressed me. Epi Elitists, however...I believe most of these new signature models Epi has out now are basically the Elitist models.

Quote by Hemani Co
I actually saw Epiphone Standards for less than 250 quid. So really you are literally paying double dosh for the name on the headstock. Long neck tenon and SD Alnico Pro II don't amount to another 300.
And I'm wondering why they don't include a hardcase like the US? Bizarre.

Sticking with my Gibson.

You're a moron if you think those are the only differences. This'll definitely be better quality and play better than a normal Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and maybe even than a Gibson, if it's anything like the Elitists.
Why bother?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I just bought a regular standard today. The finish is similar to Slash's and it was $1500. Score me.
Gibson.
Don;t get me wrong - I like the guitars, I just feel the company's hardly doing very well these days - it seems to be feeling the need to latch onto whatever gimmicks remotely work, even only as novelties, rather than focussing on the problems that they actually have...
The rig:
Newcastle United
Don't get me wrong either I think that their Explorers and V's are very nice guitars. But i think that they are getting a tad ridiculous with the pricing on their LPs lately.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Have any of you tried the new slash guitars? NO! so shut your mouths and stop complaing just because you cannot afford a real gibson les paul aka the greatest guitars in the world. Yea they are overpriced as is everything in this world but your not gonna find a better guitar anywhere else so its worth it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I can't say normal Gibson SG or LP Standards have really impressed me. Epi Elitists, however...I believe most of these new signature models Epi has out now are basically the Elitist models.

You're a moron if you think those are the only differences. This'll definitely be better quality and play better than a normal Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and maybe even than a Gibson, if it's anything like the Elitists.

I've owned past upmarket Epiphones in the past - Zakk Wylde Camo and Joe Perry Boneyard - and you know what? They did not justify the price in terms of quality of workmanship from the Standard series. Assumption is not part of my game.
What a joke.

The Epiphone Slash still lists for a fucking grand, and the Gibsons are so expensive you'd have to donate a kidney to finance one.

I'll pass, thanks.

UnrealT:

Shut up, nobody likes a fanboy.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
...I was about to poke holes in that one too... Damn you diditforthelulz!
Fact of the matter is, we could make this guitar ourselves with the right parts for a considerable whack less than what Gibson are charging, and what else are getting? a bit or writing on a headstock. IMO I still prefer the original slash sig that Gibson did... The one with the daimond snake & the cherry finish? That thing was damn sweet.
The rig:
Newcastle United
Quote by Korzack
Fact of the matter is, we could make this guitar ourselves with the right parts for a considerable whack less than what Gibson are charging, and what else are getting? a bit or writing on a headstock. IMO I still prefer the original slash sig that Gibson did... The one with the daimond snake & the cherry finish? That thing was damn sweet.

It's okay, you can poke holes in it, too. We can poke holes in it together!

Damn you, Gibson!
Now it's 1984
Quote by Korzack

It would never be the same...Say what you want, but if you truly believe that all you have to do in order to have a guitar similar to the one in this very discussion is "have the right parts" you are sadly mistaken. This 'Gibson is nothing special' talk is getting old quick. Hundreds of threads have turned into Gibson bashing etc and thats exactly what happened to this one. Shame.
Be cool.
Quote by Unreal T
Have any of you tried the new slash guitars? NO! so shut your mouths and stop complaing just because you cannot afford a real gibson les paul aka the greatest guitars in the world. Yea they are overpriced as is everything in this world but your not gonna find a better guitar anywhere else so its worth it.

LOOOL. Are you like one of those guitarists who think that if they buy the most expensive guitar they will play amazingly? LOL. And no they are not the greatest guitars in the world. There is no such thing as the greatest guitar in the wolrd. Why? Simple really, it is impossible for there to be the greatest guitar or otherwise it would be the only guitar available.

So before i finish bashing your childish view, i may try the Slash guitars, but the fact that a standard gibson les paul might be similar or most likely very similar, i will not buy it or even consider it. I don't find the signature of slash such a great thing to have....
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Simonwalker
LOOOL. Are you like one of those guitarists who think that if they buy the most expensive guitar they will play amazingly? LOL. And no they are not the greatest guitars in the world. There is no such thing as the greatest guitar in the wolrd. Why? Simple really, it is impossible for there to be the greatest guitar or otherwise it would be the only guitar available.

So before i finish bashing your childish view, i may try the Slash guitars, but the fact that a standard gibson les paul might be similar or most likely very similar, i will not buy it or even consider it. I don't find the signature of slash such a great thing to have....

Judging by your gear, I think one of the last things you'll be buying is a Gibson, let alone a more expensive Slash signature. So at least you don't have to worry about that.
Be cool.
No one has bothered to mention Slash's original guitar wasn't even a real Gibson...?
Quote by ketiov
No one has bothered to mention Slash's original guitar wasn't even a real Gibson...?

Because everyone knows that...
Be cool.
Quote by Hemani Co
I've owned past upmarket Epiphones in the past - Zakk Wylde Camo and Joe Perry Boneyard - and you know what? They did not justify the price in terms of quality of workmanship from the Standard series. Assumption is not part of my game.

Those aren't Elitists, sir. Definitely not the Zakk one. Ugh.
Quote by thedude051
Because everyone knows that...

+1

Chris Derrig replica, blah blah blah..
Now it's 1984
At my local Guitar Center the Epi Slash was 980, I also played the other two Gibson ones and they played very well and were also beautiful. Actually I just looked at the website and you get a Slash strap, hard case, picks and his autobiography for 999. That aint bad if youo ask me, plus the guitar of course.
Last edited by Doobergn at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by thedude051
It would never be the same...Say what you want, but if you truly believe that all you have to do in order to have a guitar similar to the one in this very discussion is "have the right parts" you are sadly mistaken. This 'Gibson is nothing special' talk is getting old quick. Hundreds of threads have turned into Gibson bashing etc and thats exactly what happened to this one. Shame.

TBH, for a company that brands itself as 'the best guitar maker in the world', there are a fair few holes in its philosophy. When was the last time the company had a genuinely good idea in terms of guitar styles? Okay, so the Longhorn they;'re bringing out isn't bad, but it's a lazy double-cut LP with more pronounced knobs. I've never bashed a Company, but I will bash silliness, and I will bash laziness - It just so happens Gibson has been doing a fair bit of both recently.
And maybe so, maybe no - But I, and not many others have that sort of cash just lying around - Hell, a lot of us will have to save up months, maybe years for something like that. Anything that can get us 90, 95% of the way to that sound for 50-70% of the price-tag is an option to be warmly welcomed. Besides, make a guitar yourself, that it truly becomes 'Your' guitar - you understand instinctively how it works, what bits are solid, what bits aren't, and so forth. Hell, I learned a lot simply from taking my old Peavey Raptor's tremolo apart, and removing the neck. Not hard at all, but learned a lot of how they worked, and how to fix em etc., - Sure, so I could've read it all on here, but fingers ain't just for typing, ya know ...
Not taking exception, just trying to put across my point in... Better words, shall I say
The rig:
Newcastle United
Hasn't there been a Gibson Custom Shop Slash LP out for a while?

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/signature/slash/Slash.html
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
I was on the gibson website checking out the commercials literally the minute they came out, and i didnt even realize it until i looked at the time. But no im not gonna get one. i dont have the money and even if i did i still wouldnt get it because its just not what im into.

By the way for people who think epiphones and gibsons are the same i own both and tried many others and gibsons standards beat out pretty much everything epiphone has to offer. Better tone, better feel, better build quality, much better pickups. Hell even with a pickup change my epiphone doesnt hold a candle to my stock gibson.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
my vos slash sig should be in my hands in about 3 days!
[Gear]
1957 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom [gone ]
1958 Reissue Sunburst (Ice Tea)
1959 Reissue Sunburst (Cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG
50th Anniversary CS Masterbuilt Strat

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Fuzzbox91
I was on the gibson website checking out the commercials literally the minute they came out, and i didnt even realize it until i looked at the time. But no im not gonna get one. i dont have the money and even if i did i still wouldnt get it because its just not what im into.

By the way for people who think epiphones and gibsons are the same i own both and tried many others and gibsons standards beat out pretty much everything epiphone has to offer. Better tone, better feel, better build quality, much better pickups. Hell even with a pickup change my epiphone doesnt hold a candle to my stock gibson.

My Epi G-400 beats out any Gibson Faded series guitar.
Quote by Korzack
I honestly thought those 3 guitars were Gibson's April Fools' joke

I'm still hoping!
Page 1 of 2