Page 1 of 2
Alright, so I talked to my dad last night about the topic title (work ethic and how it relates to the generation gap).

I'll take 3 generations:

Mine (I'm 19 years old, born in 1989), the "lazy" generation

Dad's, the baby boomer generation that lived a hard life and wanted their kids to live a good life, yet in turn made us live too 'cushiony'

And my grandfather's, a hard life being brought up in (30s)?

Anyhow, we were talking about how my grandfather is 74 years old, had a stroke last year, and still wants to mow his lawn.

This is obviously harmful to his physical being (even death as a result?), yet he wants to do this anyway. Growing up, his generation didn't procrastinate; if something needed done, they did it right then.
See, he's always worked/mowed 5 lawns in 2 days, so all the sudden not being able to do this work he enjoys obviously bothers him.

But; he has alternative methods now, and "The times, they are a' changin'"
He needs to get mine (and my father's) help, and even my uncle and his son. However, my grandmother is the one who asked us for the help (not to mention us volunteering).
My father is 49, but he is in good condition and knows to get help instead of mowing for several hours on end.

Along with that whole backstory (which gives background on the past generations), what do YOU think?
Quote by AM666
too lazy to read that but i agree 'oh look at the kittie'

I guess we know what "generation" you fall into.
TS I don't really buy it. The lazy generation stuff and all. I am your fathers age. I know lazy people older and younger than me. Both my sons work their asses off as do their friends. I don't see it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
TS I don't really buy it. The lazy generation stuff and all. I am your fathers age. I know lazy people older and younger than me. Both my sons work their asses off as do their friends. I don't see it.

More specifically...

You're right, my generation isnt really lazy; but i'll admit that i grew up kinda... spoiled so i dont have the work ethic they do.

What about my grandfather's situation, though?
Quote by Jackal58

DirkEdit: He meant "I appreciate your contributions to our website."
I agree to some extent that people from an older generation may work harder but I don't think your theory works for this generation. Of course some people will be less motivated then others today but that can be said for people who fall into other generations. I don't think a generalisation can be fitted for these generations as there are (nearly) always exceptions.

Quote by AM666
blah blah blah you old git. Are you a pedo coming onto kids websites?

With a bag of sweets
Cheeky Smile

Jackal is a fkin pedophile

And to you: **** off.
I was raised to have a good work ethic, and I do. You have to bare in mind, old people also think they used to walk 15 miles in the snow with no shoes on to get to school. But that never actually happened.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Less about when you where born. More about your general attitude. I work damn hard for my age (19) I got two Jobs and hold down renting a house in north london with my gf. In fact im at work writing this damn thing!
Quote by Aus-10
More specifically...

You're right, my generation isnt really lazy; but i'll admit that i grew up kinda... spoiled so i dont have the work ethic they do.

What about my grandfather's situation, though?

Your grandfather is probably being stubborn and unwilling to give up an activity that he derives simple pleasure from. That doesn't mean he has a greater work ethic. He's just pissed he's getting old and is fighting it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by AM666

With a bag of sweets
Cheeky Smile

I know its slightly off topic, but this is ultimate guitar, not ultimate kid's guitar.
Its just most of the user's here are teenagers. I saw a poll here once and if i remember correctly, most users were younger than me, and im only 19 years old.
Funny too, cause the pit is corrupttttttt

Anyhow, go on.
I would fall into your grandfather's generation yet I'm stuck with lazy slobs.

I think "lazy" is a generalization. Besides, you forget the "baby boomers" had "lazy" hippies in the 60s who didn't work a day.. (hippie generalization )
Last edited by the spiker at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by AM666

With a bag of sweets
Cheeky Smile

You're thinking of SYK. Common mistake, you silly thing.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Our generation is stereotyped into being "Lazy", just because a vast amount of this age-group are lazy I don't think you can catagorize a whole generation into being the same as them. I myself am lazy (Not proud) but I have hard-working friends (like Jackal said).

Both my parents are hard-working during the day and kick off their shoes during the night, doing very little but watching TV and drinking copius amounts of wine

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
How are we the lazy generation? I don't agree with this
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
You're thinking of SYK. Common mistake, you silly thing.

Doh i apologise

I am so so lazy...beign of my life. I started using magazines for toilet paper as my girlfriend is away working this week and i cant be assed going to the shops
Quote by AM666

With a bag of sweets
Cheeky Smile

Candy little boy?

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I was raised to have a good work ethic, and I do. You have to bare in mind, old people also think they used to walk 15 miles in the snow with no shoes on to get to school. But that never actually happened.

Wanna bet? Uphill both ways I tell ya.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Actually he did used to walk 1.3 miles out of a hollow to be picked up by a van to go to work, then 1.3 miles back home after a day's hard physical work.

The van couldn't spare 1.3 miles up or back, so therefore he had to walk.
Quote by AM666

With a bag of sweets
Cheeky Smile

*reported*

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Jackal58

+1
I'm 16, however, and I STILL see lazy adults. White trash, grown men acting like gangsters, abusive and abandoning fathers, drug-addicted mothers, bums on the street, alcoholics, all that. Its no different. Its all the way we're brought up.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Our generation is stereotyped into being "Lazy", just because a vast amount of this age-group are lazy I don't think you can catagorize a whole generation into being the same as them. I myself am lazy (Not proud) but I have hard-working friends (like Jackal said).

Both my parents are hard-working during the day and kick off their shoes during the night, doing very little but watching TV and drinking copius amounts of wine

I don't see that man. At least not the younger people I am acquainted with.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Candy little boy?

I still don't believe you. My grandpa insisted he had to do it every day of the year. Even during the summer time. In Texas.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by MastaBassist10
+1
I'm 16, however, and I STILL see lazy adults. White trash, grown men acting like gangsters, abusive and abandoning fathers, drug-addicted mothers, bums on the street, alcoholics, all that. Its no different. Its all the way we're brought up.

Those things you mentioned aren't lazines... the world is much more complex than that, man
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Jackal58
I don't see that man. At least not the younger people I am acquainted with.

Over round here they are unfortunatly Most of us (Mainly the younger of our school) do absolutely nothing and just destroy the general area whilst drinking Buckfast (A vile tonic wine). My year are probably the last decent working in our school, most of us are going to University and have full time jobs.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Over round here they are unfortunatly Most of us (Mainly the younger of our school) do absolutely nothing and just destroy the general area whilst drinking Buckfast (A vile tonic wine). My year are probably the last decent working in our school, most of us are going to University and have full time jobs.

I think that may just be a maturity issue. Not a generational thing. When I was 15-16 I was pretty much out to party and nothing else.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I still don't believe you. My grandpa insisted he had to do it every day of the year. Even during the summer time. In Texas.

Well Duh. Ice age dummy.!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I think it all depends on the person... I'm pretty lazy and I'm not looking forward to this summer I'm gonna work a lot
XBL GT: WILDWAYNE001
add me if you wish...
Quote by GoDrex
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA the boomers were ****ing handed everything on a platter!

Maybe not as hard as farm work allllllll day every day, but still not luxury?

Maybe it just depends on the area you live in.
Quote by Jackal58
I think that may just be a maturity issue. Not a generational thing. When I was 15-16 I was pretty much out to party and nothing else.

Touché, point taken. Although they still don't do anything other than that.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
It will balance out.

For instance Gen X is going to raise kids that will get fed up with them not doing anything and will probably rebel by cleaning up their ****.

If the pendulum swings to, eventually it will swing fro.

This is the nature of the universe, so I say, "don't worry about it."
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by MastaBassist10
+1

+1000 and /thread

besides, it's their fault if they think we're lazy. Lazy kids didnt just spawn out of no where. they were spoiled and raised soft by their parents.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
As society progresses, we have to do less manual labour, and of course the older generation is always going to see that they worked harder/life is easier.

We will say that of future generation.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
born 1991, i have horrid work ethic
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']I usually consider myself as a reasonably smart chap, yet my work ethic seems to be worth bugger-all-bullsh*t.

Same, but I'm pretty sure mine is worse than yours.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']I usually consider myself as a reasonably smart chap, yet my work ethic seems to be worth bugger-all-bullsh*t.

Quote by raise_the_dead
Same, but I'm pretty sure mine is worse than yours.

I'm quite sure both of you will rise to the occasion when you begin working for something other than the weekend. At least thats what I keep telling myself.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I think any family that progressively becomes more well-off with time will call the previous generations the 'lazy' ones. It's not necessarily a nationwide thing, because there are plenty of hard workers now too, but we also have the convenience of higher technology now. It's not to say that the work ethic has dropped, but there are simply more options. I'm sure people utilize these options in to creating even better ones with a little extra time and effort on their part. As education has also progressed over the years, with more children entering university and more oppotunities for schooling in general, there have also been less youth entering labor-oriented jobs. Physical labor is not necessarily the sign of work ethic.

I know that whole thing was a bit jumbled, I didnt sort out my thoughts very well
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

lazy generation

what utter bullsh*t

it's as if everyone forgets the 70's and 80's when all those 'lazy' workers kept striking and stifling British production
Quote by Jackal58
Candy little boy?

You're awesome. No really, it's so pleasant to have someone with a lil' snappy wit goin' about the boards.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
The "lazy" generation does not exist.

As people get older, they get irritable. In which case, who better to get upset with than the youth. The youth of the world are an object of envy from their elders. Besides, why not insult and complain about a group of people who have no power in the world. Thus resulting in the "lazy kid" stereotype.
following aimlessly, blindly
through forests smoldereing and black
puddles- milky with the resin of old
the shepherd named christ
and you are his sheep-

creeping,
pacing,
running...

unknown.
Honestly, I don't think this is the case. I guarentee our schooling for this generation is a hell of a lot more difficult than it ever has been in the past, especially if you take the most difficult classes.

I think our generation is a lot more knowledgable (GENERALLY) than past generations, but yes, it seems like the spectrum is quite short. You either have your sh*t together, or you're just kinda out there. This'll probably change as we get older and everything but yeah. . .
Page 1 of 2