A friend of mine watched this tom morello video where my friend said morello turn the volume for one pick up off and like switches back and forth from one with volume to the one without to get like a delay effect or something. My friend wanted me to try it, but i've always heard that toggling back and forth quickly can damage your hardware. is that true?
No, and even if you were to damage it, it's like a 2.50 dollar piece... it's not hard to fix. But you're not going to break it, i guarantee it, unless you totally abuse it. It's called a killswitch btw.
okay. oh and my friend meant with the pick up selector, not a killswitch, if that changes anything.
..... wow..... turning the 2nd pick up to 0 volume is a killswitch. what dont you get?
Well, it's not actually a killswitch, but functions exactly the same. I understand that you're using the pickup selector, that's how Tom Morello does it.

Swat, he might be new to guitar, you don't have to be such an ass.
hes been a member longer than me.. i doubt hes new to guitar.... and a killswitch isnt an effect, its another way of picking
A killswitch is a button or toggle that kills the entire guitar's signal.

If you don't want to install a killswitch, and have separate volume pots for your pickups, then you can get a killswitch-like effect by setting one pickup's volume to 10, the other's to 0, and toggling back and forth. It'll only damage it if you really abuse it regularly, and even then, it's a cheaply, easily-replaced part.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Yup, Randy Rhoads does it well.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
It doesn't work as well as a killswitch because most guitars with 2 volume pots will have a 3-way selector, so instead going straight from full signal to off, you're getting an intermediate level between the 2, even just for a split second. Also, if you're doing it quickly, it won't be easy to mute the strings and the flicking creates a fair bit of vibration.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
It just cuts the sound in and out. 10 to 0 quickly. It can sound really awesome.

Hendrix used to do something like this, but instead of volume(strats only have one) he'd put one tone control at 0 and one at 10 and toggle from the bridge to the neck, this can also sound pretty neat, kind of a wobbly effect.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by Ichimaru
It doesn't work as well as a killswitch because most guitars with 2 volume pots will have a 3-way selector, so instead going straight from full signal to off, you're getting an intermediate level between the 2, even just for a split second. Also, if you're doing it quickly, it won't be easy to mute the strings and the flicking creates a fair bit of vibration.

if you turn one pick up on and one on zero then the middle is also on zero
Quote by guitarbite.fire
if you turn one pick up on and one on zero then the middle is also on zero

Really? =s
+goes and tries+
EDIT: I meant on a guitar with 2 pickups and a 3-way selector like a Les Paul.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Last edited by Ichimaru at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by Ichimaru

yeah..thats what i'm encountering with my lp. it doesn't really matter, i was just curious.

EDIT:

and a killswitch isnt an effect, its another way of picking

Really? Well then please explain to me how to "kill switch pick". You obviously know soo much more than I do.
Last edited by Spamwise at Apr 1, 2008,
haha a smart ass i see. watch a video of tom morello showing you how he does his little tricks. he even calls it another way of "picking"