Hello, YouGee

Something I just realised recently...
You know sometimes people (usually fanboys and girls) start HUGE discussions about being "true fans" of something, and sorta list criteria you need to be a "true fan"?
I can't say I'm a "fan" of any band myself, but I do have plenty of favourites.

Something I've observed about my own musical tastes:
I have 2 AC/DC albums and a Greatest Hits collection, and I consider them to be one of my favourites. I listen to them a lot, I can play a lot of their songs, I like their style.

On the other hand, I have 4 Led Zeppelin albums and 3 Metallica albums, and although I like a couple of their songs, I don't really consider them to be some of my favourite bands.

I AM NOT SEEKING TO START AND ARGUMENT HERE.
Don't be all like "omg Who cares whether or not you're a true fan, listen to whatever you like". I do listen to whatever I like.

The purpose of this thread is to ask if anyone else feels this way about some of their favourite bands

PS. please don't spam, and don't put comments like "2 albums? You n00b, I have their entire discography"
2 albums? You n00b, I have their entire discography
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
i dont really own any albums

am i not a true fan?

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
i completley agree w/ u on everything u said
my top 5 favorites are:
5.GunsNRoses
4.Aerosmith
3.Boston
2.Metallica
1.AC/DC

PS i only have 1 AC/DC cd and that's all the cd's i have lol plan on gettin more soon though
Quote by sashki
how the **** did I see that one coming? I must be psychic?

omg Who cares whether or not you're a true fan, listen to whatever you like
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by sashki
how the **** did I see that one coming? I must be psychic?

Or you've just learned to expect the level of intelligent response here in the pit.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Quote by danielrobbyshor

i think the whole "true fan" thing is a load of dingo's kidneys. If you bought the record, and you dig it, then you are a fan. End game. But seriously if you dig AC/DC, get some more of their records man, they did not make a bad one!

By the way, Pink Floyd is my favorite band, AC/DC is up there though.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Apr 1, 2008,
Well with my own musical collection, if they are really my favorite band I try to have every one of their albums. That's not saying a band can't be your favorite if you only own one album though. I guess what I'm attempting to say is that it doesn't really matter how many albums you have. If they're your favorite band, then so be it. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. I see a "true fan" as anyone who loves a band regardless of what kind of changes they go through. Like if someone stops liking a band simply because they changed their sound a little bit then they most definitely are not a true fan.

Did any of that really even relate to your question TS? I just felt myself kind of rambling on...

Seriously, I don't have any favorite bands at the moment , The Raconteurs are my favorite, I have both albums, but I haven't listened to them both yet.

a fan- someone who likes their music

a true fan-someone who shoots the band member(s) onstage if the band should break up and forma new band coughcough*pantera*

i think that settles the criteria
I have all of Manic Street Preachers' albums and a DVD. I've never seen them live and I hardly listen to them now. Considering they're my favourite band.
top 5 bands.....

5. Gallows
4. Billy Talent
3. AC/DC
2. Foo Fighters
1. Muse

plus all got pretty awsome guitarists!!!

now....... no arguing about how good or rubbish they are, personal pref
I think that, for the most part, the 'true fan' argument is irrelevent but I have to admit that I'm not overly keen on people who hear a band's most mainstream song and then start to rave about them.
Quote by happytimeharry
Well with my own musical collection, if they are really my favorite band I try to have every one of their albums. That's not saying a band can't be your favorite if you only own one album though. I guess what I'm attempting to say is that it doesn't really matter how many albums you have. If they're your favorite band, then so be it. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. I see a "true fan" as anyone who loves a band regardless of what kind of changes they go through. Like if someone stops liking a band simply because they changed their sound a little bit then they most definitely are not a true fan.

Did any of that really even relate to your question TS? I just felt myself kind of rambling on...

yea man u rly dont need to own ne thing by a band for them to be your fav i mean children of bodom is my fav band and the only cd i own of them is live in stockholm but yet i know about everyone of their songs and am trying to lean alot of them on guitar

New subject

what is your fav band to learn songs from????
A fan = Someone who likes an artist's music.
A true fan = Someone who likes an artist's music.

Now a diehard fan is different and don't even get me started on electric and paper fans.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by freakypop
yea man u rly dont need to own ne thing by a band for them to be your fav i mean children of bodom is my fav band and the only cd i own of them is live in stockholm but yet i know about everyone of their songs and am trying to lean alot of them on guitar

New subject

what is your fav band to learn songs from????

There is no new subject n00b!!
Quote by happytimeharry

No, I thought that was a very good contribution (unlike SOME OTHER POSTS MADE HERE)

I also like to have many, but not all albums of my favourite bands. It's just the order I buy them in. It depends on the songs on the record, in whether I can find the CD or not.

Like, if you're getting into Led Zeppelin, for example, you'll probably buy their best known and best-critiqued albums, like Zeppelin I and IV first, rather than Coda, for example.
Or with Pink Floyd, you'd probably get Dark Side of the Moon.

I start by randomly buying an album that many people say is good, or a Greatest Hits collection, and then continue from there.
I have Cream's "Disraeli Gears" and really don't like it...

If I only like one song, I won't say that I like the Band.
top 5 bands:

5. ACDC
4. killswitch Engage
3. The Darkness
2. Nickelback
1. Metallica
Quote by ukuleleftw
When is beating your cat not justified?

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
This is almost as stupid as when someone thought there might be a UG warehouse where all the tabs are stored.

July 8th, 2007 @ Wembley - Best day ever
i like alot of bands
my number on band is zeppelin
i have all the zeppelin dvds, cd's, and some boot legs from diffrent years...

but my top 5
1 zeppelin
2 van halen
3 fleetwood mac
4 pink floyd
5 incubus
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Hm, I own just 1 album from my favourite band, and it's an entire album of remixes of the same song

It's mainly because theres less chance of me finding them over here, but it doesn't make me any less of a 'fan'.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by sashki
Ok.

Have you tried reading?

There a problem...or u just gay?
plenty of ppl been listing their fav bands...nothing saying u have to stick strictly to the topic, otherwise it would just be
"yes i agree" - and thats boring
Quote by ukuleleftw
When is beating your cat not justified?

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
This is almost as stupid as when someone thought there might be a UG warehouse where all the tabs are stored.

July 8th, 2007 @ Wembley - Best day ever
Quote by broady15

What's with calling people gay as a way of an insult? Huh? HUH?

...now gtfo muh internet, faggot

Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by broady15
plenty of ppl been listing their fav bands...nothing saying u have to stick strictly to the topic, otherwise it would just be
"yes i agree" - and thats boring

1) Gaeity has nothing to do with it. If you need to resort to calling people gay to prove something, you probably don't know what you're doing.

2) I don't mind people listing their favourites, but that's not what this thread is about. You seem to have just read the title, scrolled down briefly overlooking a few posts, and posted what you thought was relevant.
Reading the first post, at least partially, would help.

3) Threads are started for the purpose of introducing a topic that people discuss. If one guy said "Did you see the ballgame with weekend" and someone replies "Salmon is better with white wine, trust me", that's not much of a discussion, is it?

Don't like it, leave.