So I'm gettin ready to buy a new electric, which got me thinking about the amp ill be using to play through. A 15 watt marshall. I'm gettin an ibanez sz720 and I feel that the marshall will not be able to release the ibanez's full potential. So i started looking around and came across the blackheart little giant head with a bh112 cab. These are relatively new, but everyone i talk to seems to like them a lot. JUst wanted to get some opinions. I have some pedals so the lack of distortion is not a problem. I'll be in college for the next 3 years so i can't go big because of the neighbors, but I still want to be able to put out a big sound when i need to. This sounds like it will. What do you guys think?
A very nice buy, they apparently take pedals quite well. I'd say go for it.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
ok i think i will, nothing else you would recommend for around 300 though?
Unless you already have pedals for effects other than distortion, you could also check out the Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube series. You can plug headphones into those too, which might be a good feature in a college dorm, but they aren't fully-tube (Cube is SS, Valvetronix is hybrid). Can't vouch for how well they perform at higher volumes, though.

Other tube options for you would be the Epiphone Valve Jr., or a Palomino V16.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
There's nothing I can think of in that price range that beats a blackheart or valve junior. Neither of them is really quiet, however, so if you plan on eventually getting a nice big tube amp you should go out and get a good attenuator now to let you crank it a bit without making your ears bleed. Granted this is about $100-200 more dollars (check used), but if you go valve junior you'll get more bang for the buck. (imo the blackheart tone controls are meh)
I do already have the pedals, so the a combo amp is kind of out. I don't know much about the valve jr, but i have heard that the blackheart is better than the valve. Also, i may eventually replace the tubes if I'm not satisfied with the stock ones.
they jacked up the price. It was $250, now it's $300.

and yes it does take pedals well, and since you're not looking for anything too loud, the BH 5w should do fine for you
in the musician's friend catalog its still $250, so if I get one I'm ordering it from the catalog
Quote by wjhender
I do already have the pedals, so the a combo amp is kind of out. I don't know much about the valve jr, but i have heard that the blackheart is better than the valve. Also, i may eventually replace the tubes if I'm not satisfied with the stock ones.

Between the 2 it really came down to the open back cab of the Vj or the closed back of the Blackheart. they do sound a bit different from each other. If you already have the pedals your good to go with either one.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
LOL YOU THINK MARSHALL CAN'T TAKE IT!?!?!? Marshall is hands down one of the best, if not the best, amp companies out there, unless you mean and MG....
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by DSchmitty
LOL YOU THINK MARSHALL CAN'T TAKE IT!?!?!? Marshall is hands down one of the best, if not the best, amp companies out there, unless you mean and MG....

He's talking about a 15w Marshall amp.. what do you think he's talking about..
what about a fender super champ xd?? same price as blackheart (i believe), and more options/power.

also, it's fender.

i played one and i really liked it, but im curious to hear more opinions.
I have no doubt that marshall is good, but if i ever want to do anything other than play in my room with no one else it won't handle it. You see
go for it, or the new fifteen watts are coming out ifd you want more
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
^
I really want to try out the 15W BH

cant wait they should come out sometime this month
Quote by esp1234
they jacked up the price. It was $250, now it's $300.

and yes it does take pedals well, and since you're not looking for anything too loud, the BH 5w should do fine for you

Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!Whut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
wait i just want to make sure im correct on this. The new 15 thats coming out. Is that a head or a combo. I'm looking at the 3w/5w head and 75w cab i think is what it is. So when you say 15 do you mean a head?
so i answered my own question by doing a little research. Man i feel stupid. I looked at the 15 watt head and it look sick, but im not sure if i want to spend the money. They're sayin it'll probably be 400 for the 15 watt head and the bh112 cab ( i think thats it). You guys think i should wait and save more money to get the 15 watt when it comes out or should i just get the 5. I want to be able to have this for years to come, so if im gonna get it i don't want to have to upgrade. Also, you think ill be able to gig with the 15 watt head?
I think it's a 15w combo. Aren't Blackhearts only 5w models, aside from their 15w model coming out?

EDIT: I'd wait for that 15w. And yes, you could gig with it, but depending on the size of the venue, maybe. You could always mic the amp though.
its a 15w/7w head combo'd with their 112 cab for 399. Almost as much as i payed for my guitar. ha.
^ is that a good or a bad thing? Blues junior is 80$ more but hs better cleans and less OD.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
I have three tube amps now. I'm buying a Killer Ant the day it comes out. I think everyone will.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by DrNick
Unless you already have pedals for effects other than distortion, you could also check out the Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube series. You can plug headphones into those too, which might be a good feature in a college dorm, but they aren't fully-tube (Cube is SS, Valvetronix is hybrid). Can't vouch for how well they perform at higher volumes, though.

Other tube options for you would be the Epiphone Valve Jr., or a Palomino V16.

The Vox Valvetronix have digital modeling preamps and don't take pedals very well.

+1 for the Blackheart. Tube tone ftw!