Evening all,
I picked up a copy of Bass Player today in Whsmith and enjoyed reading it, were some good articles etc (particularly their feature on Cachao). However, as its an american import, all the adverts were for companies based in the US, so they were rendered useless to me. I was wondering if anyone had any views on any favourite magazines they had (Bass obviously, not '40+' etc) and could recommend them?

I think that all makes sense

Cheers
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
There are no U.S. brands you can get in Europe/Asia/South America/Africa/Australia/Antarctica at all? Secondly, I know for a fact I've seen a Rotosound ad in the newest one (Randy Jackson... REALLY?!), which is a British brand... Thirdly, you read Bass Player for the ads? That's like reading Play Boy for the articles.

At any rate, Bass Player is the most respected bass magazine out there, especially since Bass Guitar went under (I think?).
^ I thought it was the other way around, but either way one of the major two is no longer with us... and one of the major two was very bad either way. Don't recall which was which though.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
My local newsagents sucks for Bass magazines, the only vaguely bass related one is called Guitar & Bass.

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
There are no U.S. brands you can get in Europe/Asia/South America/Africa/Australia/Antarctica at all? Secondly, I know for a fact I've seen a Rotosound ad in the newest one (Randy Jackson... REALLY?!), which is a British brand... Thirdly, you read Bass Player for the ads? That's like reading Play Boy for the articles.

At any rate, Bass Player is the most respected bass magazine out there, especially since Bass Guitar went under (I think?).

No, of course not just for classifieds etc, i just meant that all the good deals on parts become un-good deals (in fact, bad deals) when ive got to add on ££££s to ship a new bridge or nut. My use of this computer is limited (its shared between 5) so surfing the internet for bargains becomes less of an option, so adverts are a good way to find out these things for me. And as most Bass magazines will have Bass articles in them, it would also help if the one i bought was entirely relevant.

And besides, i like the articles in Playboy, in a way i found them a lot more stimulating
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
"Dear Bass Guitar, everyone always says these letters are fake, but this really happened...when we got back to her place, she let me play her eight string!..."

Anyways, buying Bass mags here in Australia is pretty tough. I've just found a retailer near-ish to me that sells Bass Player and another mag called Bass Guitar Magazine. From the look of it, Bass Player is a US mag and Bass Guitar Mag is the UK equivalent. I think there may be some relationship between the two, as the articles and interviews were similar (interviews with Rex Brown and John Paul Jones, JPJ on both covers etc.)

The problem here is we get them late as they need to be shipped here so we are a few months behind.

Of the two, I found Bass Guitar Mag to be a more helpful/entertaining read. The interviews had more depth, the lessons were more involved and the gear reviews were more objective.
Quote by UtBDan
^ I thought it was the other way around, but either way one of the major two is no longer with us... and one of the major two was very bad either way. Don't recall which was which though.

It was Bass Guitar. And Bass Player is probably the very bad one, but if it's the only choice it isn't half bad.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It was Bass Guitar. And Bass Player is probably the very bad one, but if it's the only choice it isn't half bad.

Yeah, even though I had a year's subscription, Bass Guitar trully was the superior magazine. The only thing I didn't like about them was the fact that they made you jump all over the magazine to read one bleeding article.

I just don't like the tone and point behind many Bass Player articles. They have had some stupid cover stories over the last year. They try to be different (even though they're the only magazine around) by including a lot of non-rock stuff, but in fact they almost completely ignore it. I remember once reading something along the lines of "You know this feeling: when the vocalist is singing at the border of his normal voice and falsetto, when the trumpeter just can't seem to get his part down, when the keyboardist insists on playing in your register..." and I thought, no... no I don't.

EDIT: I like it when they feature upright players, but in one issue I have, May 06 I believe, they featured a tuba player. No. Just... no.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Apr 1, 2008,