Was going through youtube videos and stumbled upon this. Chimaira doing a Metallica cover. Sounds pretty good considering there using 6505's... I've been wondering how good of a thrash sound you can get out of them. Its almost spot on you can just slightly hear the 6505 voicing.

Click Here
i was thinking about getting a 6505....but i might get a mesa dual recitfier
Sounds pretty different to my ears.

The BFMV sanitarium intro is pretty much spot on, drums sound dif but w.e

They all pretty much murder the vocals.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It mightent be a 6505. and if it is, you have to take in account eq that was prolly done etc.

They could be using any amp for that.
There are many variables that go into it. They use EMG 81s, like Metallica. They're probably also using some kind of EQ..

I have a Marshall TSL60 and I can get really good Metallica tone too, if I spend a little time tweaking the knobs. Early Metallica was all recorded on Marshalls, tube screamers, with Gibson guitars and Seymour Duncan pickups.... The Mesa Boogie sound didn't come until later, although they switched to EMGs pretty early.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
I pretty much think the 6505 can nail any metal, why shouldn't it be able to do thrash metal? Those covers were all horrible though...Ugh.
Quote by noodlegts
There are many variables that go into it. They use EMG 81s, like Metallica. They're probably also using some kind of EQ..

I have a Marshall TSL60 and I can get really good Metallica tone too, if I spend a little time tweaking the knobs. Early Metallica was all recorded on Marshalls, tube screamers, with Gibson guitars and Seymour Duncan pickups.... The Mesa Boogie sound didn't come until later, although they switched to EMGs pretty early.

So thats why they sounded so percussive and not full on And Justice for all... Damn you EMGS! (personal opinion, i could not hear the fullness of it on that record)
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
I pretty much think the 6505 can nail any metal, why shouldn't it be able to do thrash metal? Those covers were all horrible though...Ugh.

+1 To the first bit. -1 to the second, I like some of them.

But yea, I can get Metallica ish tones out of my 5150 if I try.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death

The 6505 has a pretty distinct voicing to it which usually always sounds like someone playing metallica through a 6505 lol. Its hard to mimic different amps with it like a Marshall that is really british sounding. And considering the amount of different amps metallica used for there master of puppets tone to get that close with a 6505 is pretty amazing i think. And the key point is to get it to sound like something other then a 6505.. I always figured i would have to pick up a mesa and maybe a marshall to get a really good metallica tone.

Example:
Master of puppets gear used..

Mesa Boogie Mk IIC+

Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp
Marshall JCM 800

Marshall JMP Heads
Marshall 4x12 with 65 watt speakers
Furman PQ4 parametric EQ
Ibanez multi-effects box
Mesa Boogie Heads slaved into Marshalls
Quote by Absent Mind
Sounds pretty different to my ears.

The BFMV sanitarium intro is pretty much spot on, drums sound dif but w.e

They all pretty much murder the vocals.

The guitars are spot on, the drums are over the top (he does a lot more than Lars). You cant expect a guy with a soft british accent to sing like Hetfield.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by Highwaytohell
So thats why they sounded so percussive and not full on And Justice for all... Damn you EMGS! (personal opinion, i could not hear the fullness of it on that record)

I think the thin, crappy tone on AJFA has to do with the lack of bass, not the guitar pickups.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2